Black Chicken Studios Forums

Questions and Comments

Synel

Well, first I'd like to start out with saying I loved the game. Aside from a few bugs and a what I think is best described as an overburdened interface (which is understandable due to the massive amount of choices) the game was great. I was incredibly disappointed when the game ended at one year which I have a couple questions about as well but again I think the game was good overall.

There was only one bug I can remember and would like to point out and that had to do with the play action. The action doesn't allow you to choose a bond to expand with your familiar. The list is empty when you try to choose one so the action is unusable. There was also a crash but I think that's already been addressed.

I thought some of the skill requirements late into some of the adventures were a bit harsh. At the... 6 or 7th step of the pirate quest for instance you needed a 16 in both observation and glamour phems for those choices to be green. Anything below resulted the choice being black (Which I believe means it has a 50/50 chance of success?) but more often purple. Perhaps this was meant for the second year and the skill caps were intended to be raised. I'm not really sure but I had to use both the efficient research ability and the "eyes wide open" spell to get the skills to where they needed to be. After that accomplishing the quest further was basically a crap shoot. the same goes for some of the character specific quests such as those for Prudence. A 10 in some of the required skills resulted in blue while some were still red at 8 and 10.

I was also wondering if the cliques had any specific purpose aside from character bonus/abilities and simply being in a clique. Perhaps that was also supposed to extend into later years but as far as I can tell they don't really do anything at the moment.

Familiar training and such. None of the Bonds seemed to have any effect. I achieved up to 5 or 6 in bonds and even though my insight increased from 3 to 6 over the year (along with other stats) my snake remained with only the increases achieved from training. None of his base stats changed at all.

Finally I have to ask about ending the game at year one. I've read the thread where this question has already been asked and apparently the company is planning on sequels. When you say Sequel, do you literally mean a brand new installment or an add on? And to be completely honest I'm not sure if I'd pay another 25 dollars for a single year. I thought I was paying for an entire academagia... experience I guess would be the right word. Granted the game is obviously very extensive and well thought out but given several of the features seem to be somewhat intended for expansion in later years of the game and the impression that you've already got most of the game developed (character development, skill sets, abilities and action choices, etc.) I'm somewhat hesitant to buy another 3-4 installments. Was this originally planned to be released as all 4-5 years in a single installment?

Synel;

Thanks for the comments- the issue with Play is that it is trying to expand *your* Bond, not your Familiar's. That of course fails, since you don't have one. It will be corrected in the content patch.

Adventures are indeed meant to be difficult, and require a lot of resources and planning in order to succeed at them. Some Adventures are of course easier than others, but they all require a certain amount of diligence. The hope here is that you will have to make full use of the options available to you in your success. That said, I think there is a better way to tie in all your bonuses, and we're working on that for the Adventure interface in Year 2.

Cliques have several functions in the game:

1) They give you abilities, depending on who you add to your group.

2) If their Skills are higher than yours, they can help you in Adventures- usually this ceases to be true after the middle portion of Adventures, because of the difficulties involved.

3) You can sacrifice them in Adventures to bypass high difficulty choices. You can only do this once, though.

4) They give a passive bonus (the Patrol bonus) to anyone who targets your Clique with hostile actions.

5) Some Students have Adventures which can only be accessed if they are in your Clique.

Familiar Training in Bonds just allows you to raise the Skills your Snake has. If you want to give the Snake new Abilities or increase their attributes, you will have to complete your Snake's Adventures. There are also a few items, I believe, which you can use on them to produce growth. ;)

Lastly, the game is indeed year 1, and was designed as such from the very beginning. The overarching storylines, however, were written to progress through all 5 years, because a sense of progression is something that we think is necessary for a true sequel. Every year, however, will be separate and while the mechanics of the previous years carry forward, there will be a constant evolution of gameplay.

Thanks again!

Synel;

Thanks for the comments- the issue with Play is that it is trying to expand *your* Bond, not your Familiar's. That of course fails, since you don't have one. It will be corrected in the content patch.

Adventures are indeed meant to be difficult, and require a lot of resources and planning in order to succeed at them. Some Adventures are of course easier than others, but they all require a certain amount of diligence. The hope here is that you will have to make full use of the options available to you in your success. That said, I think there is a better way to tie in all your bonuses, and we're working on that for the Adventure interface in Year 2.

Cliques have several functions in the game:

1) They give you abilities, depending on who you add to your group.

2) If their Skills are higher than yours, they can help you in Adventures- usually this ceases to be true after the middle portion of Adventures, because of the difficulties involved.

3) You can sacrifice them in Adventures to bypass high difficulty choices. You can only do this once, though.

4) They give a passive bonus (the Patrol bonus) to anyone who targets your Clique with hostile actions.

5) Some Students have Adventures which can only be accessed if they are in your Clique.

Familiar Training in Bonds just allows you to raise the Skills your Snake has. If you want to give the Snake new Abilities or increase their attributes, you will have to complete your Snake's Adventures. There are also a few items, I believe, which you can use on them to produce growth. :P

Lastly, the game is indeed year 1, and was designed as such from the very beginning. The overarching storylines, however, were written to progress through all 5 years, because a sense of progression is something that we think is necessary for a true sequel. Every year, however, will be separate and while the mechanics of the previous years carry forward, there will be a constant evolution of gameplay.

Thanks again!

Thank for the quick response. I get the impression it's going to be awhile before the sequel comes out but assuming the gameplay does evolve as you said I think it'll be worth the money to but the next step in Academagia. The sad thing is I still wanna develop my character ;). Just gonna have to wait.

Synel;

We definitely don't want to make you wait too long- we've already begun the design document for Year 2.

Our first DLC will be out towards the end of September, and although your current character won't benefit, it will have some new and interesting things for you.

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it!

Archived