Black Chicken Studios Forums

A Couple of Questions

Nikolaj

Ok, so I've been playing this for a couple of days now, and I'm starting to get it, but I still have a bunch of questions. I've read through quite a few threads, and tried using the search function, but there's a good chance some of these have been asked before, so please forgive any duplicates. :)

1) I still don't quite understand how the rolls work. For example, the compete action says that I have to pass a compete roll versus 12. My compete skill is 0, but for some reason, I'm still able to succeed. Anyway, my understanding is that a roll is the skill in question + a random number between 1 and atritbute*2. Is that correct, or is the parent skill also factored in there, somewhere?

2) Does anybody know a good way to discover the biology subskill? I understand that training that skill leads to a more efficient way of training skills in general, which I'd like to have. :)

3) I didn't do the pirate rumor adventure, which everybody seems to start with, and having just passed the midterms, I notice that it's no longer available. I figure that it's either due to me being too slow (is time a factor in adventures?), or to an event I had involving a pirate dressed up as a grounds keeper. Does anybody know?

Edit:

4) Sometimes, in the report at the end of the day, it'll say something like "learned about tactics SP II". What does that SP II mean?

5) What's the difference between expanding and increasing a skill? Is there a difference?

That's all I can think of right now, although I know I have more questions. I'll add them as I recall them. :)

1) The Compete Action gives 3 Merit anyway, and another 3 if you succeed on your roll. The mechanics for the rolls you describe are correct.

2) As of yet there is no good way to discover it. We still need to do a lot of research on all the different skills and related stuff.

3) no clue, I have yet to do that adventure myself <_<

4) As far as I know that are lore descriptions only, probably parts of your text books in class. ;)

5) Expanding a skill means it's permanent. Increasing it means it's temporary. If a skill increases due to an ability, then it remains increased for as long as you have that ability, which makes it pretty permanent, but does not count for your skill maximum if I am correct.

4) Sometimes, in the report at the end of the day, it'll say something like "learned about tactics SP II". What does that SP II mean?

I believe the SP # lores are a remnant placeholder from the programming time before lore names were fleshed out, and are probably a form of typo, but one that our Devs probably can easily locate themselves when they have a chance to fix. 'Tactics Skill Point 2', and so on, is how I interpret them. There's a few duplicate lores where there's a SP # and a regularly named version as well (Though there's more than a few where there's two regular names as well).

For the answer about the third question;

No I don't think so. I have the same problem and I only did three quests; the one for the headmaster, the one with the mentor and the follow up with the mentor.

Still after the mid terms the pirate quest vanished. *cries*

Would you mind explaining that?

Why was the decisiom made that certain things would shortcut adventures? I am confused as I see no reason why one thing would block the other.

As well; could we have a list of things that make other things impossible? As it is almost impossible to figure out which on our own.

Vegejor;

The 'Main Adventure' can be solved a number of different ways, but you have to choose a side. It's hard to simultaneously be working for the Pirates and the Guard, for instance (although we really should put in some sneaky double-crossing possibilities!)

The Main Adventures are the only ones gated like that.

0.o main adventure? ok that is a new term, but still; I didn't do no quest for the guards.

I merely helped out the headmaster with a quest.

Besides even if that is so, would it be possible to make a pop-up message to notify that user that a certain course of action will block another? As I was caught off guard and I can imagine others will be as well. Especially since I didn't even know it was a main adventure.

Third question; what makes an advanture a main adventure?

Besides even if that is so, would it be possible to make a pop-up message to notify that user that a certain course of action will block another? As I was caught off guard and I can imagine others will be as well. Especially since I didn't even know it was a main adventure.

I think a pop-up might be a bit much, but it would be nice to know beforehand that by doing the adventure, I choose to work for the guards. It's not as if the adventure title gives any hint of this whatsoever. Not that it's that important, really, but still.

Archived