Black Chicken Studios Forums

Set Example Ability & Inventory questions

danae

(1) About the Set Example Ability which has a duration of 6.

Both of its effects are of an expand nature, so the duration didn't make sense to me. Then I realized that once I used it, I could not use it the day after either, so basically I could only use it once during 6 period time-frame.

Is it what the duration = 6 for an ability expand effect supposed to mean?

(But then the description says I can use it once a day. The way I see it, I used it on Monday and could not on Tuesday, so that means once every two days?)

(2) Unidentified Items in my inventory

I started the game with two random items in my inventory. They came from a background.

When I click on them within the inventory, the game says I don't have information about them and I have not identified them. Fair enough.

Then I equipped them (put them in the slots on the character shadow image). Two related Passive Abilities appeared in my Ability Menu. When I clicked on the Ability, it gave me a description of the items along with the effects they are having. Back in my inventory they are still listed as having unknown effects and being unidentified.

I'm not complaining I'm suddenly knowledgeable about the items, but is it how it's supposed to work? I have not experimented with identification and items yet so I don't know much about this.

(The two items happened to be Poorly-Made Jacket and Arboreal Frog, and I'm guessing they are "low level items").

Thanks to anyone for your help!

Well, when you have a magical sword and you don't know what it does, you can still use it ( at your own risk ) but if you see that it glows when goblins are near, you know it's enchanted for that sort of thing. But then, correlation does not imply causation.

Your problem probably is that you get the effects of the items if you equip them, but your character doesn't really know what happens. It is a game mechanic thing but it is also in character for some items. This could be improved, as in, you would probably know what a book is if it is in a language you can understand, sure you might have to take it to artifact registry if it's in, say, draconic. A lot of room to improve, sure, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Danae;

Duration of 6 does mean 6 'phases', or one Day: Midnight, Early Morning, Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night, Late Night. You won't be able to use that Ability on Tuesday (if you use it on Monday), because the Duration lasts 6 phases, which carries into the next Day.

Ranielle is correct about Items and Identification. On a side note, we are working through a solution such that any Item you gain from a Background is Identified for you at game start. :)

Ranielle is correct about Items and Identification. On a side note, we are working through a solution such that any Item you gain from a Background is Identified for you at game start. :)

I don't mind and I wasn't surprised they are not identified at the start. It's a common concept in many games that you have to reach a certain level in a certain skill in order to identify a given item.

What I don't understand is why I could see their full description in the ability menu. The ability menu is thus dentifying something that should not be known yet. It didn't seem logical to me, and I was wondering if there was a reason for it I didn't know about.

It's not a case of being able to deduce the effect of an item by equipping them. That, I was expecting. It's a case of getting a full description of an item I'm not supposed to know anything about. If anything I don't like having it easier than I'm supposed to in a game. Typically I'll stop playing until accidental free rides are corrected or I'll play around without using the flawed feature (not saying this one is a flaw, I don't know and I'm asking).

Thanks!

Danae;

The Ability to read the Description is a result of limitation of the engine- when it is applied to you, you can read about it. We do want Item Abilities to be applied to you if you equip (even if you haven't Identified it yet), and that is a consequence of that. I don't think we can suppress that in Year 1, but certainly in Year 2.

Thanks!

Archived