Black Chicken Studios Forums

Self-Mastery

CremePudding

(I wanted to write this after the Mineta Catering adventure, but I suspect I will never get around to writing this if I don't do it now when I have the ideas.)

Self-Mastery

Dominant Attribute: Insight

Training Modifier: 2.6

Productivity is the main and original purpose of the development of Self-Mastery. The most typical use of Self-Mastery include the prevention of human error, or precise repetition of dangerous tasks. It is a highly unstable school of magic; after all, it is Mastery repurposed to target the caster, and it is every bit as likely to reshape its target into a slave, a drone or a mindless shell as the regular kind of Mastery is.

The development of Self-Mastery was at first seen as a potential leverage needed to oppose the proscription of Mastery, a legitimate benign use. The precision required, however, is far beyond the reach of most, and many turned themselves into mindless drones locked down with spells that are highly customized and nearly impossible to negate. What follows is the utter destruction of most knowledge related; only marginally safer spells are passed down, and only in obscurity. The branch was greatly shunned even among these who support Mastery; after the proscription, the unpopularity, the risk, and the lack of support and information made this branch even more unapproachable. There’s no school that is aware of this branch’s existence; let alone Academagia.

01. Mastery: Just Another School (Lore)

02. Maniac’s Study Session (Spell)

03. Macro (Pheme)

04. Note to Self, from Sena (Lore)

05. Flaw Removal (Spell)

06. Masterful Relaxation (Action)

07. Flawless Rewind (Spell)

08. Controlled Mastery (Passive Ability)

09. Mastery Over Body (Passive Ability), Tangled and Bound (Lore)

10. Special Notices to Employees, Mineta Premium Catering. Inc (Lore), +1 Luck

11. The Academagia: Seizure Crucible (Location)

------------------------

Lore

Excerpt from Mastery: Just Another School

"I am not quite sure why is everyone so insistent on either Mastery being the most powerful butt-kicking school ever or the most useless waste of time ever. It is just another school, albeit illegal. So a house is on fire and you can't put it out. Mastery is perfect for getting everybody else out. But if you are alone in the wilderness and want to cook an egg... then use the other school, dimwit! What are you going to do, order the egg to cook itself?"

Note to Self, from Sena

The headmaster commended me for a job well done, but I can’t shake off the feeling that there’s something I missed in Durand. I should probably go see if I missed any spellbooks before the book burning before lunch.

Special Notices to Employees, Mineta Premium Catering. Inc

If someone told you they are having trouble working because they messed up their Mastery spells, stab them. Or bash them with a club. And then BRING IT TO ME IMMEDIATELY. Don’t worry about the wound; I will take care of that. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO NEGATE ANY SPELL ON YOUR OWN. I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO NEGATE ANY SPELL ON YOUR OWN.

P.S. These who are investigating Marlein Knoht, report to me immediately.

Tangled and Bound

They woke up. They found themselves bound in strings.

They tried to free themselves, but the strings that bound them were numerous.

Still they persist. Progress were made. Their limbs were freed.

They rested, patient and confident that eventually they will be free.

As they slept, their limbs remade the strings and knots.

They woke up. They found themselves bound in strings.

------------------------

Action

Masterful Relaxation

When you want to relax, you mean it. And your experience of self-control helps, a lot. This will set your Stress to zero regardless of circumstances – and remove bad effects not unlike a rest, and give a 2 point boost to Maximum Stress. It doesn’t restore your Vitality, however.

(Actually, I am not sure does rest remove all stress or ten points of stress. What I am going for here is a complete removal of stress if Rest doesn’t do a complete removal.)

------------------------

Ability

Controlled Mastery

The experience of controlling yourself with Mastery has proven valuable in other areas of Mastery; on how to cast spell more precisely, how to specify your command, and more importantly, empathy and restrain, stemming from experiencing Mastery firsthand.

In practice, this mean a +1 increase to the four Mastery subskills, Compassion, and Temperance.

Mastery Over Body

"Mastery Over Body" might strike you as suggesting the results of long contemplation and a deep attunement to the workings of one's own muscle and sinew.

More or less. Don't mistake it for Mastery of Body.

Using yourself as a puppet while being the puppeter at the same time has taught you what can you do, what to do, when to do, and how. At least, you know better than strangling yourself with your feet.

This translate to +2 Chance of Success to everything in practice; your hand is steadier when mixing potion, when casting spells, you will trip less when you run and dance, and you will bit your tounge less and fart less when socializing.

----------------------

Spell

Maniac’s Study Session

A successful casting of this spell (Insight/Self-Mastery v.15) will allow you to expand one Study level to two subjects of your choice, and a level in a skill of your choice, but comes with 2 point of Stress and 1 point of Damage; forcing yourself to study magically isn't healthy. A superior casting (Fitness/Mastery Methods v.20) can allow you to do it more gently and shrug off the Damage, and a precise casting (Intelligence/Mastery Spells v.15) can further expand a skill step in a random skill.

A relatively easier and safer spell from the branch of Self-Mastery, the only real danger lies in durations and if you are unlucky to be stuck when a fire breaks out, or if the location is filled with sharp pointy objects and you didn't consider that during casting.

Spell Type:

Mastery

Phemes:

Quiescent

Quiet Mind

Quiet Mind

Zenith

Serenity

Serendipity

Action Types:

Beneficial

Flaw Removal

Flaw Removal will increase the caster's choice of Skill by 4 level and Chance of Success by 10, provided you can pass a very difficult (Insight/Self-Mastery v.22) check. You will also permanently expand said skill by one level.

No matter the results, you will gain 2 point of Stress; you will also suffer 2 Damage if you fail. Effect last for three days.

Flaw Removal is highly dependent on being aware of your own faults, and act as a clutch to correcting said faults by providing experience to how to do something without your bad habits in the way. It can also be used as a preventive measure; casting this before important occasions to make sure nothing goes wrong out of your own bad habit.

Spell Type:

Mastery

Phemes:

Zenith

Serenity

Wonder

Progress

Perfection

Flawless

Macro

Action Types:

Beneficial

Flawless Rewind

A successful casting of this spell (Insight/Self-Mastery v.20) increase Cooking, Enchant, Forge, Brew, Engineering and Cooking by 4 levels. Effect last for two days. Failing the roll results in 4 point of stress.

This spell has one simple effect - to ensure you follow whatever recipe or blueprints correctly and without mistakes. You will beat that dough exactly that many times with that force. The spell will filter out obvious mistakes in faulty recipes, but it is always good to try the recipe once without said spell - you really, really don't want to find out that potion recipe is faulty and going to blow up in your face while the spell force you to keep continuing it.

Spell Type:

Mastery

Phemes:

Zenith

Serenity

Perfection

Flawless

Macro

Macro

Macro

Action Types:

Beneficial

------------------------

Pheme

Macro

Adding the Macro Pheme in a spell will increase the user’s Concentration and Memorization Skills and Stress Maximum by 2 point each. Its difficulty level is 12.

Before the proscription of Mastery and Gates, many had debated the origin of its rather inexplicable name; nowadays, there's no human alive that is aware of its existence, partly due to the death of both its persecutor and users. The Pheme assists in precise and controlled repetition.

------------------------

The Academagia: Seizure Crucible

Set your foot into this hidden room, and you will found someone or something seizing control of your body. If you can't regain control of your body within a short time (Luck/Self-Mastery v.20), you will be hurled out - and the Mastery assault you just suffered will take its toil on body and mind, or more specifically 7 points of Stress and Damage. If you can fight off the barrage of Mastery spells, the room will happily assist you in your research by Gating whatever books and parchments you need, immediately expanding the choice of your topic by 3 levels. The room itself increase your Luck by one point, which only last as long as you stay.

A small room near the entrance of the Dining Hall, ignored by just about everyone passing by. The decor changes upon every visit, depending on the visitor's mood; but it is always luxurious, comes with a self-restocking sweet cabinet, and there's always neatly laid out parchments and reading materials for whatever research topic you have in mind. It would be perfect if you don't have to seizure for a minute everytime you visit it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the game needs more first-year content at this point. Me and my stripmod, heh...

This is a decent idea for a future evolution, though. Something that a player character could basically start trailblazing across the course of their career at Academagia.

I don't think the game needs more first-year content at this point. Me and my stripmod, heh...

This is a decent idea for a future evolution, though. Something that a player character could basically start trailblazing across the course of their career at Academagia.

That's true, the game does look a bit bloated (although I personally think you can't have too many Random Events)

I am beginning to suspect maybe the writers already planned something like this for future years far before I wrote this :P

(Or maybe I just feel suspiciously pointedly ignored whether I mention casting Mastery on myself)

Archived