Black Chicken Studios Forums

Time to visit the barber

Leoshi

And another event to satisfy your reading needs. Don't you just love reading? smile.gif

Pre-requisite: None

Ah potions class. The choking smell of sulphur, the disgusting feeling of a troll's dandruff flakes in your hands, and the inevitable danger of a potion blowing up in your face and turning your hair a wild assortment of colours.

Yes, potions are a necessity and it is your responsibility of a student of Academagia to master the basics so as to not cause the school a fortune every time a student makes a mistake by adding gunpowder to give their potion a little kick.

However, some students just need some more practice so that they can one day become master potion makers. Or at least not blow up the school whenever they try to whip up a simple potion of Wakefulness.

And with that brilliant introduction Cante Caviti presents to you his latest potion. It is funny how a transparent glass of water could look so menacing.

While eyeing the potion nervously,you ask Cante what the potion is supposed to do. He excitingly tells you that the potion is a skin rejuvenator, guaranteed to remove all sorts of blemishes including that very distracting pimple growing on your forehead that you tried to cover up by letting your hair down.

Red faced and absolutely furious that Cante just casually mentions your pimple when Reitz may be nearby, you quickly consider your options.

Exit 1: Brew

Be brave. Smell the potion for a minute.

Success:

Bracing yourself you take a deep whiff of the potion, you can make out the smell of the very popular ingredient called emerald bile. According to the professors the emerald bile is best used as a hair grower.

According to an old adventurer who first discovered the bile, it was produced from the backside of a walking plant with long flowing locks growing out of its head/mouth. By sheer luck, the once bald adventurer slipped and landed mouth first into a pool of the bile.The next morning, he was amaze to discover that his once bald head was covered with a thin layer of hair.

Breaking the bad/good news to Cante, he exclaims "What? I thought I added horse manure. Well thanks anyway"and leaves you standing in the hallway with your mouth open.

Result:+1 Relationship with Cante Caviti, +1 Scent Detection

Failure:

No pressure. It's just Cante. Even though he hasn't been doing well in potion making but surely he can trust him right? Just taste the potion to see if he added something that he shouldn't have.

The moment a drop of the potion makes contact with your tongue, you tasted a sweet flavour that usually tells you that the potion is harmless. And with that notion in your head, you promptly empty the potion down your throat.

Well your pimple is gone but it is most definite not because Cante's potion worked, who has disappeared from yoursights. Your hair has grown so long that it reaches the floor!

As you try to explain to a professor about your outrageous new look, who is threatening to cut your hair with a pair of shears, you made a mental note to give Cante an unpleasant surprise tomorrow.

Result:-1 Relationship with Cante Caviti, +1 Stress, +1 Hair Pin

Exit 2: Acting

If Cante needs someone to test this potion then why not that someone special like Philippe Marchant?

Success:

You tell Cante about your little plan and about how Philippe would be the perfect test subject as he has more blemishes than you. Cante agrees at once.

After you and Cante track down Philippe, you quickly take position a short distance in Philippe's path and pretend to be thirsty. Sure enough Philippe speeds up to you and snatches the glass out of your hand. As you look at the drink with longing Philippe happily downs it as fast as he can.

In the evening you tell your friends about how Philippe was dragged away by a professor to get his floor length hair sheared off.

Result:+1 Innuendo

Failure:

You tell Cante about your about how Philippe would be the perfect test subject as he has plenty of unsightly blemishes on his body (it might be false though). Cante agrees almost immediately.

With Cante pretending to hand you a drink Philippe quickly takes the drink out of his hands and promptly drinks it.

Almost immediately Philippe's hair starts to grow all the way down to his feet. As Philippe tries to explain to a passing professor (who threatens to have his head shaved until it is bald), you and Cante share a hearty laugh.

Unfortunately you have not escaped Philippe's wrath. The night when you were taking your bath somebody had stolen your clothes, forcing you to run back to your room in a towel with laughing people on the way. You also heard that Cante had learnt how painful it is to have his underwear lodged in his rear.

One word: Infirmary.

Result:+2 Stress, -1 Composure.

Exit 3: Magical Appraisal

Examinethe potion through the eyes of a trained potion maker.

Success:

Even though Cante is a good person, you know that he is really bad at potion making. With your knowledge of all (Ok, some) things magical, you proceed to examine the potion for anything suspicious.

As it turns out, you were right.This potion would have made you look like a walking monster made of hair, maybe if you put on a hat and glasses you wouldn't look so bad. And with that lovely possibility you point out Cante's mistake and offer to help him with his potion. Surprisingly, he agrees.

Even more surprising is the fact that once you both completed the potion, you both had earned a tidy sum from some of the more self-conscience students and a professor or two.

Result:+1 Relationship with Cante Caviti, +35 Pims

Failure:

You are a student of the famous Academagia; you are good enough to earn yourself a place here. Are you going to let a lousy potion ruin your confidence in yourself? NO.

And so you study the potion, confident of your ability to determine if there is anything wrong with the puny little potion.

As it turns out, you can't find anything wrong with the potion. With Cante confused with your attitude a moment ago you drink the potion. Unfortunately it seems that your ability has failed you as you find yourself blinded by your lovely head of floor length hair.

As a professor drags you off by the ear for a hair cut, you silently curse your lucky star for not preventing this from happening.

Result:+2 Stress, -1 Confidence

Exit4: Deceit

Don't hurt Cante's feelings but don'tdrink the potentially poisonous potion either.

Success:

Holding the potion close to yourmouth you suddenly feel the need to sneeze (faking of course).

As soon as Cante's mouth becomeswide enough you arc your back dramatically and *Choo!!* send the potion flyinginto Cante's mouth. Immediately, Cante can only be described as a walkinghair monster. Wait, don't they have a name for that?

"Huh. I must have added somethingwrong. Well see you anyway @Player's name@." said the walking column of hairdown a screaming hallway.

Well, at least you didn't hurt hisfeelings.

Result:+1 Flawless Timing

Failure:

You tell Cante that today you arefeeling allergic to potions and therefore can't stand being next to his potionand so goodbye.

"Perfect! Now we can test my newallergy curing potion. Come on." And so you were treated to a potion thattastes like goblin warts.

D'oh!

Result:+1 Stress, Feeling Queasy (The effect from the spell Bitter Stalks)

Exit 5: Legacy of Many Towers

Doesn't Cante know about Vernin standards?

Success:

Oh the young Vernin craftsman being rash again. Only one thing to do now. Incredibly comprehensive knowledge of the history of Vernin craftsmanship don't fail me now!

"Cante, testing potions like that is a bad idea. Don't you understand that craftsmen are always careful to ensure that a disaster doesn't occur All these great towers of Vernin isn't built on rash trial-and-error, you know! As a craftsman of Vernin, you should be more prudent, because lives might very well depends on-"

From out of the corner of your eyes you could see Professor Giovanni walking away with smile on his face.

Oh! Looks like Cante is having a hard time holding back his tears. You quickly apologize to him and treat him to a delicious pastry.

Result: +1 Relationship with Cante Caviti, +3 Merit Points, -20 Pims

Failure:

Incredibly comprehensive knowledge of the history of Vernin craftsmanship don't fail me now!

"Cante I...no wait...the tower...no no wait WAIT! That was a history on worms...I..er...what I meant to say is...er..."

This is embarrassing. You are mixing up your own personal experiences with history AGAIN.

From out of nowhere, Professor Giovanni gives you an exasperated look and proceeds to say "3 DEMERITS!!"

Doh!!

Result: -3 Merits, +1 Stress

Finished!

So tell me what you think and maybe point out any mistakes.

Inspiration: This crazy

. And also this.

Exit 4: Deceit. Pretend to be allergic.

Success:

Right. There's no way you'd really drink that - even if it means getting rid of your pimples.

So you smile, and when a single drop of the vile liquid fall into your mouth, you let out a tortured cry and threw yourself backward against a wall.

For good measure, you threw the whole bottle at Cante's head while falling backward.

Yep, now Cante look like a mop, and you got off without any blame!

"Oh my! @playername@, are you alright!?"

You haven't the heart to tell him.

Failure:

"Oh, er, I am allergic to that."

"Nonsense! Just try it!"

Drats.

"No, really, I am allergic to potions."

"Wonderful! Why don't you try out my potion that cures allergy to potions?"

Double Drats.

Exit 5: Running. Run for it!

Automatic Success:

Not taking any chance, you mumble something incoherent about taking a nap with Orso Orsi in panic and dash off.

Why is the ground turning so... soft?

Drats. Why is the Legate napping in a hallway!?

CremePudding;

Exit 4: Deceit added. But how about we don't add the Running exit? I'm trying to give the less used skills a chance.laugh.gif

Legate;

What is the most used material for inspiration for this game?

Right-o. Running is used too much :P

Exit 5: Legacy of Many Towers. Lecture him on the danger of blind experiments.

Success:

Oh, another young little Vernin craftsman being rash?

This calls for your incredibly comprehensive knowledge of the history of Vernin craftsmanship!

"Cante, testing potions like that is a bad idea. Do you know about how the Griffume nearly killed thirty students when its creator tested it without any precautions!? All these great towers of Vernin isn't built on rash trial-and-error, you know! As a craftsman of Vernin, you should be more prudent, because lives might very well depends on-"

Professor Giovanni di Lucca Alazzo pokes his head around the door.

"Three merits to you, @playername@, for your excellent insight. And Cante, I think it is time we have a little discussion. It doesn't do well for the image of Academagia nor College Vernin if one knows we have students randomly poisoning others out of sheer passion and rashness... Oh, @playername@, would you mind taking Cante to the infirmary?"

Opps. Seems that your lecture was a overkill.

Failure:

Oh, another young little Vernin craftsman being rash?

This calls for your incredibly comprehensive knowledge of the history of Vernin craftsmanship!

"Cante!"

No. You can't do it. Your knowledge is just not up to par-

"Cante! Asmita Tidar Poisoning Drone Bore Vernin Tower Collapse Griffume-"

How embarrassing. And you can't stop.

Professor Giovanni di Lucca Alazzo pokes his head around the door, clearly furious.

"Cante! Three Demerits to you for poisoning @playername@ with whatever potion you have-"

"I did not- I mean, I haven't even-"

"CANTE MARLEIN KNOHT ICED TEA TEST CRAZY-" You begins to foam at the mouth.

"Four demerits and JUST TAKE @PLAYERNAME@ TO THE INFIRMARY!"

"Briardi! Good to see you! I think @playername@ is being Mastered!"

And done again but I have to ask what "Do you know about how the Griffume nearly killed thirty students when its creator tested it without any precautions!?" meant.

The Griffume is something I saw from Scenes from Vernin: An Advertisement.

Apparently, it is highly dangerous to use it as a perfume near Griffins...

(The death bit is entirely flat-out lying though.) :(

Archived