Black Chicken Studios Forums

Question on Mechanic's Boon

hawkfangor

Firstly, there is a discrepancy between the rules and the playbook; the rules say you gain a d4 boon every time you gain a new item type and the playbook (page 3) says you get a d6 boon when you discover a new item type.

Is it d4 or d6 and is there any difference between "discovering" and item type and "gaining" it?

Secondly, what are the "item type" categories? Is it only limited to things you equip? Or do you also get one for generic "items," like the Healing Kit or Gremlin's Luckstone?

Otherwise, it's fun so far!

no, I know the item types in general, my question was specifically in regards to gaining boon dice through the Mechanic's special ability. Do I get 1 die when I obtain a sword, one for my first hammer, 1 for my first Breastplate, 1 for my first "item"? Or is there a different breakdown of item types I'm supposed to be using for this? Do I get one for an item? And what defines as "new"?

Like, I start the game with boots, breastplate, helm, pants, and 2x fists, so do I get any automatic boons (4d4, 5d4?) for those? Or will I get one the first time I obtain one that isn't part of the starting gear (i.e. when I get my first replacement breastplate)? or will I just never get a boon for obtaining a breastplate because I started with one?

So, just for clarification, I will get, at most, 21 d4 Boons from this skill, if I get one of each type of thing throughout the game?

8 Weapons: Axe, Dagger, Fist, Mace, Spear, Sword, Warhammer, Flail (Flail isn't listed as a weapon type in the rules, but it's on the item sheet)

10 Types of armor: Shield, Helmet, Breastplate, Leggings, Boots, Gauntlets, Rings, Amulets, Cloaks, Belt

3 Miscellaneous: Item, Treasure, Structure (?)

I doubt Enchantment counts as an item type, same with Bonus. I wasn't sure if structure was, but it is technically a physical object, so I included it in the 21 types.

It will be useful in the print version to include an exhaustive "checklist" of the item types so that people taking the Mechanic skill can make a copy to check/crossoff as they obtain an item of each type, just to keep track of when they get a boon and if they claimed a boon for that type or not, since this isn't going to pop up in the game text like it does for Bardsong.

Thanks for answering! Now to give myself some boons and get on with my adventure!

Archived