Black Chicken Studios Forums

Classes and Skills

Draigh

I don't see the mention of an increase in skill

But I think I did see a higher subskill on one of those topics. So now I want to know if that's because of the classes or because of something else.

At least to me it is not obvious, otherwise I would not be asking <_<

You won't directly see the message that a subskill level has increased, but yes, every time you see a new bit of stuff, you've raise a skill level in the related skill. Usefully, if you saw you attended say, Revision, and below that you see you learned a lore or pheme or location, you know it was a revision skill you learned, you can check the revision skills to see which, if you remember what you already had in them before.

Some things that raise skills (like locations you do whatever else you are doing at) raise these skills -completely silently-

That means, that you don't see anything from them in your history. <RANT> If there was a location learned, a pheme or spell gained, even information learned about a student or just a new bit of writing about the subject to read if you want to... to bad. If you want to know about it, check over all your skills, all your spells, all your locations, all your lores, and all the students - each and every single game day that you finish. I feel very discouraged in my attempts to 'keep up' with checking this stuff gained through 'passive means'. I like checking for duplicates, typos, and other errors, as well as simply seeing what happened each day based on what I did or what else happened - and I cannot, unless I exhaustively memorize or hand-copy an ever-growing list of lores and everything else. Even if I do that, during interesting days where several things happen that raise several skills, I still have to guess about what change came from which gain. ARGH <_< </endRANT>

There's some use to this though. It adds a level of complexity I find really challenging, since I'd like to make a mental map of how all this stuff connects together. If every step taken lead to clearly given answers about what that step meant for my character and the code, well, that would be far, FAR less challenging, and probably would interest me less.

Perhaps, but I think the game has enough complexity without us needing to memorize our skills.

Request to developers: Could those passive gains also be noted on the end-day report?

This, a thousand times this. Passive increases sort of sneak around you and makes it very hard to catalog the changes since by the end of the year you have dozens of phemes and locations, it's an unnecessary hardship. The game shouldn't withhold information from the player. After all, if my character learned something about a pheme in class in a passive manner, she'd still know what she has learned by the end of the day, no?

Well, our Legate did seem to like the idea of adding to each subskill a list of which 'things' have been gained by it, be they phemes, lores, locations, or whatnot and in the order gained. So you would still need to be familiar with what your skills had been to notice changes, or just every so often check every skill, 'just in case', but you would be able to see each gain and how you got it, just by looking down your list of skills.

That satisfies my urge to understand this stuff. Legate suggested that something about the programming made the secretly gained thing be... well. Secret. And that this wasn't going to be fixable in and of itself. Adding the information gained, as it is gained, to each skill satisfies me.

My rant's was only because.... that workaround isn't in play yet. And my urge to connect things is operating powerfully within me, causing my RANT tag to flutter a bit of its own will. <_<

Well.. eventually you can just look it up in the wiki. I am currently playing McTest characters that just train one skill to the max in 3 days, while recording all information on it. No classes, lots of (skipped) detention and much fun to be had. <_<

Archived