Black Chicken Studios Forums

Action Obsolescence

89157Z

Some actions are strictly inferior to other actions. This is no terrible thing. Players handle action obsolescence with aplomb.

One of the frustrating things about the AI is that it doesn't. I propose that actions should have obsolescence logic attached to them. When an AI discovers an action it should immediately check that action for attached obsolescence logic. Strictly inferior actions should be blocked off at that point. Just take care not to include spurious superiors... The Sphinx may be beloved by players (and I got the sense that it's so bored, the affection is mutual), but sneaking off to meet with it is very forbidden. NPC characters really shouldn't be encouraged to do that.

Actions can also go obsolete when they no longer have any effect. Instead of having AIs simply get discouraged as a result of wasting their precious actions, something that has already been demonstrated to fail when they cannot accurately judge what constitutes a success, they should instead have a 'check for mastery' function which triggers when their skill levels increase. Maxed-out skills should result in blocking actions that primarily serve to increase that skill.

Attaching the same logic to players would result in... play experience oddities. It's just something that the AI should have. That said, a voluntary blocked-action list wouldn't be wrong in order to fight interface clutter. Got all you can out of an action? Never going to cast a certain spell? Throw it into the bin of things you won't do and you won't have to scroll past it constantly.

I'm thoroughly behind on updates and such. It's been ages since I actually played. My experience with the mod tools frustrated me. That frustration had a personal angle, too. As I was making changes, it was far too easy to lose track of what changes I made! It's embarrassing. The mod tools have problems, but my failure to effectively track my own usage is entirely my own fault. I'm not as conscientious as I'd like to be.

Archived