Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Most Useful Skills

Panpiper

Since the Venalicium Library is so good for studying I always have Research skills, how high depends on my Insight and if i uncover a better way to get Study Levels (like Zoe Melis' clique ability). Research skills are great for uncovering the various libraries for skill training and...

Research unlocks a library that allows access to Mastery and Gates at level 10

The magic ones are a sure bet as almost all events have them. Observation, Magical Appraisal, Character Study and Perception since they are needed for most investigations. Running, Storytelling, Conversation, Voice and Intimidation show up often enough as well. I tend to raise most of these to level 10 or 15. And according to the main quest that I do, I raise a skill or two to 25. (Famous Speeches, Diplomacy and such depending on what I pick)

I usually use the first two-three months raising the character and the other half on almost all adventures, events and odd actions/abilities. I even had a game in which I had finished all the adventures and spent the last month twiddling my thumbs and learning how to dance/play the violin.

The magic ones are a sure bet as almost all events have them. Observation, Magical Appraisal, Character Study and Perception since they are needed for most investigations. Running, Storytelling, Conversation, Voice and Intimidation show up often enough as well. I tend to raise most of these to level 10 or 15. And according to the main quest that I do, I raise a skill or two to 25. (Famous Speeches, Diplomacy and such depending on what I pick)

I usually use the first two-three months raising the character and the other half on almost all adventures, events and odd actions/abilities. I even had a game in which I had finished all the adventures and spent the last month twiddling my thumbs and learning how to dance/play the violin.

it is actually not possible to finish every single adventure.

Musts: Revision. Glamour. Incantation. Negation. Befriend. Explore (the skill itself is more important then the subskills, but of them, Seeking Friends in High Places and Wilderness Lore are the least useful- so choose any of the other three to get Explore up (Climb is probably the most used)). Compete (excluding Striving against the Foe). Competition (...though I think it may be impossible to get through the game without getting a 10 in this. Seriously. You will get Competition, somehow.) Running. Diplomacy. Courage. Voice. Piety (for Cleanse and Remake- if you don't spam that and want Golden instead, go with that, though I prefer spaming to the +1CHA). Endurance. Familar Kinship, if you do have a Familar (Go Outside the Fences can be very useful for quick raise of skills that almost always show up a few times in Familar adventures, as well as giving you something and a bond up). Persuasion.

Basically musts: Danger Sense. Astrology. Intimidation. Logic. Sleuthing. Magical Appraisal. Enspell (Concentration is actually a true must, but the others are nice, and Enspell as a whole is usually a lower difficulty roll then others offered at the same time due to the difficutly of raising Phemes, which you can 'fix' with some Selective Focus). Patience (at least to 5). Raid (Tactics and Pure Luck- the third is up to you). Research (Library Knowledge and Filing and then which-ever, though I usually end up getting all three... Test-Taking may change that, though). Acrobatics. Awareness. Either Leadership or Command- oddly, choices have a tendency to offer both.

Then, ones that are used often enough that I try to raise them, but don't see it as a big deal if I don't: Properties of Arithmetic, Flowers, Brute Strength, Clockwork (not used that often, but when it is offered, usually gives nicer reward, oddly), Gossip (Bluff might rank high enough to be a basically must), Scouting, Sabotage (excluding Artisan- Playfulness may be a basically or outright must), Curiosity (at least till 4, so Drowsy stops trying to drowse me) and then Composure.

Those are the ones I raise for maximum success in adventures/events/sanity. There are probably a few good bonuses tucked away in skills I don't usually focus on, but as each playthrough, I seem to be able to max out more skills, I'm learning them slowly.

Archived