Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 155

von_Lipstig

It was pointed out correctly in the discord that the subject of Ark Royal's scene is a but of odd one. In one of the previous updates Ark Royal, along with a few other carrier belles, displayed a solid handle on the behavior of pilots and other flavors of airmen, myself included, that would answer her question rather ably here. Not quite sure what to make of it personally. Interested to see where it goes.

Not that I'm biased toward Ark Royal or anything. 

You can't prove a damn thing. 

Ahem. 

Still no update where it really counts though. 

Sure Legate, I'm interested to see where she's going with it, and the interviews/events in the updates are hardly canon for the most part, but in context, AS a Naval Aircrewman with his flight jacket hanging in his closet, it is amusing to me...

If this Hinata person came to us and said he had a `plane that had an eighty-five percent chance of blowing up and a fifteen percent chance of unlocking the secrets of high-speed aerodynamics, I can promise you that some of my pilots would get into a fist fight over who could try it first.

...because this quote is about the most succinct summary of the spirit of naval aviators I have ever seen. I'm sure @Fifrein will concur with his new practical experience in that regard. Then again, I'm from a branch of the American armed services that is regularly noted for it's enthusiasm when it comes to getting themselves stuck in to the fight so "excitement" is generally not lacking. Nor was anger when I was still in uniform. There's always plenty of bravado, false and otherwise to cover up the natural fear that comes with those situations.

Ark Royal did hint at one truth that I think most people reading that will miss. The guys who go cold? They are scary. But I've always seen it that those exceptional individuals are born, not made. Met a few guys who got like that. You could see flashes of it every now and then. A guy who had seen the elephant... and found the skill set he was quite literally born to. Not necessarily to fight, but to take situations that instill terror in others in stride, a native condition that makes for a nearly perfect warrior. Course this isn't exactly a particularly new or unique observation. 

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus