Black Chicken Studios Forums

How to fix expand random skill(default)? Suggestions appreciated. ^_^

Rossa

TLDR:  Random skill step is sometimes awarded to maxed out skill resulting in no benefit. Is there a way to change it so it rerolls until it finds a none maxed skill?

So I have noticed there are quite a few abilities/actions/rewards etc that give a random skill step, either in a specific category or just completely random. But towards the end of the game one or more skills are often maxed out and so the reward is entirely wasted. Is there a way to modify the way +1 skill step allocation to random works?

I have tried going into the modtools that @Metis provided here: https://academagia.invisionzone.com/topic/1136-mod-tools/page/6/

So just to check what the code looks like I checked it out for two abilities that give random skill increases.

The first is the sphinx with the code here:
[Expand]Expand Subject/Skill Step/Random Skill (Default)

Then I checked for godina crystal bridge, specifically astrology in this case, which also has random skills: 
[Expand]Expand Subject/Skill Step/Parent Skill/Selection of Parent Skill/Astrology (Skill)/Random Skill (Default)

In both cases it seems to come down to the selection done by "Random Skill (Default)", so the most obvious solution is to try and fix the implementation of this function, but I'm not sure how to do that or if it's even possible. I couldn't find anything named random in the modtools but maybe I missed it. (In that case please tell me I'm blind and where to find it) 

Since I don't think it's possible to fix the function (please correct me if I'm wrong), the next best solution is to implement something like a for loop that tries to find a none maxed skill X number of times (This is to avoid infinite loops), for instance via "Random Skill Default", but I'm not really sure we can add code to the game or anything like that.

So maybe the third best option is simple replacing the random skill with us picking the skill group the random skill will be selected from?
However this is not really ideal because it is open to abuse and you will still have the same issue sometimes, but not as much. Of course picking the specific subskills is also possible but not a very ideal solution. 

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I would appreciate it. :) 
With best regards, Rossa. 

sorry you're out of luck here, at last to my knowledge there is no function except exotic familiar that give a reroll if the result is not possible. 

Especial if you use Create Formal Invitation you hurt a lot with this when you do 3 at the same day it is not to uncommon that you end having 2 of the 3 adventures try to start the same adventure -.- Given the high difficulty of this Ability and I think to remember that the game memorize the adventure picks if you just reload the day before it is quite bad.

• Like 1

I feared that was the case, but thanks for confirming my suspicion @Schwarzbart  ^_^

So basically I either have to live with the reroll mechanics, which are not ideal or I have to modify the events/abilities/actions that give random rewards so that players can select them instead, which is more abusable but at least circumvents the issue of having to save scum in order to not waste turns. 
Maybe I will make something like that if I get bored, but I'm not sure. Anyway, once again thanks for your input. :)