Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Diary of Alice Margatroid the Bureaucrat.

Jane

A few other people seem to be writing up journals for their characters, so I thought I'd join in as well :) . I can't promise that I'll make it entertaining (even outside of a character dedicated to learning the finer points of accounting and proper procedure, I'm not certain I can really make something so open-ended interesting... My structure tends to get a bit loose, if I'm not really certain where I'm going with something.), but I'll do my best :) .

I'll write up one post for every game-month, and each journal entry will encompass a week; to preemptively answer any questions about what an entry might be refering to in game-terms, I'll include the mechanics of what happened in a spoiler.

Dear Diary,

Today I was admitted to Academagia! Finally, I'll be able to strike out on my own. Not that all of the years here have been bad... Back when I was closer with my family, we had such wonderful times, studying ruins and discussing jewelry. I kind of miss those days, but after my stupid parents got me cursed, how could I possibly forgive them? Honestly, with how they've treated me these last few years, I question if they ever really cared about me at all, or if it was all just my stupid destiny they keep talking about...

I'm really looking forward to studying there. I'm not entirely certain why Mr. Piaxenza declined to let me join Hedi, but Vernin should still suit me well. I hope those years of study will help prepare me for the academic life! I never did have a familiar, so I'll need some sort of edge...

Ah, but I can't keep worrying here! The airship is about to arrive! I'll tell you how it goes later.

Alice

2 Finesse

3 Intelligence

3 Insight

Astrology: Midnight (it felt wrong not to take an astrology background)

Omen: Shattered Mirrors

Family: Black Sheep (I'd take Descended from Traitors as well, quite independent of any free background points, just because I enjoy the concept of "Everyone hates you!", but... Sadly, they're mutually exclusive :( . Being hated by your family seemed to leave you a bit worse off than being hated by random people, though, so I went with Black Sheep.)

Family: Graverobbers

History: Artisans of Skill (I'd prefer some form of sewing, but there didn't seem to be such a background... At least, not one that also gave finesse.)

Prodigy: Bad Luck Magnet

Prodigy: Curiousity

Familiar Bond: Exotic (Not to be seen until the next journal update; it took quite a bit of reloading until she found Shanghai...)

Friendships: Actually, bitter hatred (Poor thing doesn't know how bad that airship is going to be :( ...)

Familiar Training: Athletics

Familiar Training: Masterful Mind

How that all fits together, from a more neutral point of view...

When she was born, the astrologers said she had a wonderful destiny ahead of her, and her parents were overjoyed. Quite aside from any grand destinies, though, they loved her and cared for her as any parent was, and hoped she'd take an interest in one of the family trades (natural philosophy or the making of fine crafts). Sadly, though, they noticed that there was a rather unusually high number of freak accidents following her about - at first, they could make any number of excuses for these strange occurrences, using the most outlandish of logic to deny the patently obvious, but after she turned eight, they had to accept the conclusion that was plain to everyone else. Alice was quite simply cursed, and it was dangerous to associate with her. They began making excuses to keep her away from their work and the family... And when they couldn't keep making excuses, young Alice, knowing all of the rumours surrounding her family, promptly blamed her parents for her state. Withdrawing from the world, she turned towards books and old musty scrolls to learn about it in safety; her family was, of course, perfectly happy to provide her with everything she needed, so long as her ill-fortune wouldn't put anyone else at risk.

Athonos Juvenalia

Dearest Princess Celestia,

Today I finally arrived at Academagia! It was SUCH a pain to get here... I swear Beatrix was doing everything she could to ensure I died en route! First she stole my food, then she tried to persuade the crew of our airship that I had spitting lice, then she got us both kicked OFF of said airship, and finally she got me strung up on a pole in front of a temple! I hope we don't share any classes, as I'd quite rather never see her again... She's so weird, too, always sneaking about outdoors... Are all of the students of Morvidus such freaks?

That wasn't even the last of it, either. Pretty much as soon as I got here, an older student tried to bully me. He's related to another student of Morvidus (That name keeps coming up... Am I really going to have issues with that college?) by the name of Phillipe. I hope his brother is more level-headed, since we're in Arithmetic together...

I tried to freeze him with a Negation spell my parents taught me, but trying to cast when you're hiding your wand is harder than one would think... I managed to completely miff the spell and turn a student behind me into a tree instead! How embarrassing! It proved enough of a distraction to get me out of there, though.

I don't think I'd have needed such a distraction had a certain doll not stirred up trouble... She goes by the name of Shanghai, and seems to have taken a liking to me. She was only trying to help, but I don't think it's prudent to provoke such trouble... But since she wanted to join me, I thought I'd accept her. I may not have needed her this time, but there's certain to be many troubles in this school that a friend will help with.

Not to mention, it's a living doll! I've never seen such a sight. I really want to figure out the spell that makes her run, and see if I can cast it myself...

And then a third-year claiming to be my mentor offered to give me a few pointers. She seems nice enough, but... She almost seems a bit TOO friendly. I'll be sure to speak to her if I need help, though.

With such a busy day, I almost didn't have time to learn where the main libraries were and how to get to all of my classes. I still found a bit of time to prepare advance notes for my coursework, though :) . Professor Pluiete was very impressed with my dedication. Uliva Valaressa also seemed to have the same idea - she was also copying some notes for Enchanting down.

I was totally exhausted by the end of the day... It's so nice to just lie down a bit and put it all to paper. I can almost feel myself drifting off in already...

Goodnight, journal.

Shanghai's introduction; attempted Negation, turned a student into a tree instead

Met my mentor; agreed to be mentored; cited my memory as my strength

Juvenalia:

Morning: Work until you Drop (study habits)

Afternoon: Work until you Drop (study habits)

Evening: Rest

7 Athonos

Dear Diary,

What a hectic week! It's so different having access to proper libraries... Finding the books and scrolls I need here is nothing at all like dealing with the modest library I have at home. It's taken most of the week to get adjusted to the organizational structure they use here, though I think I've gotten it mostly sorted out by now.

It's quite different, sharing the libraries with others... Just this weekend, I've studied with Sima Venesica (she always seemed a bit unapproachable, but honestly she's quite fascinating once you get to know her) and Caspar Pfeuffer, and been commended by professors Sido and Ruppercht for my diligence. It's kind of weird, actually, being in a room with more than just myself and a candle...

If only the rest of the academy was as easy to adjust to... I was expelled from the forge when the master, Gorithnak, found me unfit to handle the equipment there. I'd attempted to use magic to heat the coals for the forge in place of the bellows, but was barely able to control the wind... I should have attempted to prove my worth in another manner. I am descended from master craftsmen, not master wizards; I should have held true to my family's history... Maybe if I sneak back in later, I can prepare something at his station that he'll find a suitable demonstration of my skill?

I learned about a new shop, owned by Vasik P'shaw. He sells a variety of products useful to craftsmen... It should have everything I need if I decide to do this. Then again, maybe it's a bit too extreme...

Failing Gorithnak's test wasn't the end of this weeks troubles, sadly. The very next day, I managed to make my full class cross with me, when I messed up a charm for the birds that infuriated the entire aviary! We were trying to gather their feathers for potions, but thanks to my mistake, almost none of us were able to collect feathers... We substituted chicken feathers, for the most part, but that just turned our potions for clear voice into potions for clucking voices. Mortifying...

It hasn't all been bad, however. Someone tried to jinx me with a frogged voice when I was called to sing in a play, but I was able to swiftly identify an antidote! Thank goodness professor Kohl had some Lily Pad Dust with her... People say she's a bit scatterbrained, but she really is one of the better professors here. I quite like her.

That's all for now, then, Diary. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

1 Athonos: Morning: Class

Afternoon: Class

Evening: Train: Library Knowledge

2 Athonos: Morning: Class

3 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Performance 15: Negation Methods, success

Discovered the Library of Longshade

4 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Forge 8: Incantation Spells, failed

5 Athonos: Morning: Class

Discovered Grothnak's Personal Workstation

6 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Study Habits

Afternoon: Work until you Drop: Study Habits

Random Event Potions 20: Birds, dismal failure

7 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Filing

Afternoon: Work until you Drop: Decipher Handwriting

14 Athonos

Dear Diary,

I'm not entirely certain how I missed it before, but I found a huuuuuuuuuuuuge library this week! It'll take a bit of time to figure out where to find everything in it, but until then, it's great for studying for my classes and learning how various libraries are organized - the staff here seems to know pretty much every system of organization across the entire empire. I've spent the entire week studying for the Enchantment exams... They might be four months away, but those who wait until the last minute tend to score poorly.

That's not the only library I found, though; I also found "The Library of the Mantle of the Stars". It seems that pretty much everything in this world can be linked back to astrology, as far as they're concerned; they have a huge amount of information available on pretty much every topic, all of it linked to some snippet of astrology or other. It's a very peaceful and calm library as well... I've little interest in the stars, but maybe I should study there anyway.

I've found more than just libraries, though; I found a strange, shimmering room hidden down a disused hallway. It was infested with ants, but a swift breeze took care of them... I tried to negotiate with them, demonstrate my willingness to be reasonable, but they wouldn't hear any of it. I had no choice but to turn to force. It was worth it, though... I'm not sure what it is about that room, but I just plain feel luckier there. That might not matter to most, but, well... You know how my luck has been, diary. I'll not pass up any crumb of it I can find!

It seems my classmates care more for the competition here than I do, though. It's only the second week, but my college has already won the first merit prize! The prize wasn't much, just 20 pims for all of us, but as I've little in the way of free funds, it's rather nice to have...

The pace of the last couple of weeks seems to have give me some breathing room to avoid the more troublesome elements of the school that plagued my first few days, but I can't really relax. To be on the safe side, I've taken to paying more attention to my surroundings - especially as regards one of the more intimidating members of the school, Prudence Cossins. She's as frightening as the rumours state, but has a side the rumours didn't mention; she seems quite skilled at Satyric Revelry. She also seems to have a particular grudge against Zoe Melis.

I've met a few new people this week as well, in addition to keeping my eye on old ones. In preparing my notes for Dialectics, I met Luti Jaconelli - it doesn't look like we have much in common, but he certainly does seem to enjoy his sports. In preparing my notes for Rhetoric, I met the unfortunate Zoe Melis... It sounds like the two of us have a lot in common, enjoying academics and generally keeping to ourselves. Perhaps I should get to know her a bit better, but... Well, Prudence loves to torment her. Is it really safe to be seen with her?

Not all of the people I've met have been students of the school, however; I was relaxing at a popular tavern for the students, when I overheard some of the more adventurous types of the world reminiscing over their past exploits. I didn't wish to be rude by butting in, so I just listened from afar. I would never take such absurd risks myself, but it's nice to know that there are others out there who would...

I guess listening to such types rubs off on you, though, since I found myself rescuing poor Zoedorf from some carnivorous plants the very next day. I'm not entirely certain how he got tangled up with such things, but a quick bit of fire was all it took to get him out of it. I hear he's often involved in such mishaps... With how grateful he was to me for helping him out of this one, I hope he doesn't expect me to help him out of all such scrapes...

That's all for now, diary. I've lost track of Prudence, and I really need to make certain she's not making any trouble that will affect me!

8 Athonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Train: Decipher Handwriting

Discovered Venalicium Library

Earned Merit Prize 1

9 Athonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Venalicium Library: Enchant

10 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Tavern 2: Just sat and listened

11 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Hidden Room 3: Incantation, succeeded

12 Athonos: Morning: Class

Arternoon: Class

Evening: Venalicium Library: Dialectic

Random Event Botany 3: Reason, succeeded

Discovered the Library of the Mantle of the Stars

13 Athonos: Morning: Work Until you Drop: Observation

Afternoon: Work Until you Drop: Observation

Studied Prudence Cossins

14 Athonos: Morning: Work Until you Drop: Observation

21 Athonos

Dear Diary,

This town is simply full of thieves! I was carrying some items for a professor, and someone's familiar just made off with several of the items! I confronted the student responsible, of course, but she absolutely refused to believe me! It made me so cross, but there was nothing I could do...

I had better luck with the thieves in the market, however. A pickpocket tried to lift my purse, but she was quite simply the clumsiest pickpocket I've seen (not that I've seen any that I know of, before...), giving me plenty of time to prepare. I tripped her as she came near, and she dropped all of her stolen purses! She made off before I could do much more, but I was able to pocket one of the dropped purses for my trouble, and kept mine as well.

Between this and Workshop Days, though, I might not be making a very good impression in town... Several of the other students and I got into a fight with the Magicians Guild. I'm not certain what's worse, those silly magicians inferiority complex, or the fact that we lost to people with no actual magic... Well, maybe the fact that the demerits we received for it let Morvidus cut ahead in the competition.

Speaking of which, Morvidus was awarded the second merit prize... I wonder what it was? Nothing valuable, I hope. I've been too busy studying Dialectics to help compete, but several other members of our college have been very dedicated.

I might have been studying a bit too hard, actually... I dozed off in my actual Dialectics class! It was so embarrassing, professor Sido noticed that I was asleep and sprung a question on me... I only caught the end of it, so I answered with the first thing that popped into my head. It was wrong, of course, and the entire class laughed... If only they would add a few more hours to the day, we could avoid all of this!

Speaking of the professors, I heard an interesting rumour that Professor Storey keeps his desk very well locked, and all of its contents in an intricate code... Maybe I should try and take a look at it sometime. I do rather enjoy puzzles...

In other news, meeting other people while studying continues to be my main way of interacting with my fellow students... It's been fairly useful for limiting my interactions with others to people who are important, however. It's led to a better understanding between me, Flore, Sheary, Cordelia, and Isabeau... Oh, and Rixenda too, I guess, not that I really wanted to get any closer to her. She keeps luring wild animals into the school with her so-called "art". Who does that? Well, other than Rixenda, obviously.

Still, the others are pretty nice. I really like Cordelia; her experience in Clockwork reminds me of my family. Isabeau kept swiping my quill for no apparent reason, but always returned it. If I can stay on Flore's good side, it's one less bully to worry about. Sheary seems a bit too eager to help, but... Well, better than not eager enough, I guess. None of them are really like me all that much, but it's simpler that way; so long as they don't dislike me, I should have a smooth year.

I was given a startling reminder that I'm not very good at going past "not disliked", though... I saw Ana Flavia Bessa crying, and tried to comfort her. I failed miserably at it, though... Our shared bad luck seemed to play a cruel trick on us both, when my foot fell through the floor as I walked to her, and I managed to remind her of how luckless she seems when I tried to joke about my own misfortune. It was exactly the wrong thing to say, in retrospect...

That's all the free time I have, though, diary. I really need to finish studying for finals this week!

15 Athonos: Morning: Class

16 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Theft 8: Intimidation, failed

Learned about Professor Storey's Office

17 Athonos: Morning: Class

Learned about Gelcined Requine's catalog

18 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Thieves Guild 16: Negation, success (I think)

Workshop Days: Morning: Work Until you Drop: Observation

Holiday [Workshop Days]: Incantation Spells, failed

Morvidus was awarded special privileges

19 Anthonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Venalicium Library: Arithmetic

20 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Observation

Afternoon: Work until you Drop: Observation

Random Event Dialectic 1: First Principles, failed

21 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Observation

Random Event Awesome Community 12: Befriend, failed

28 Athonos

Dear Diary,

I really need to ask before drinking strange potions, medicinal or no. Asmita gave me a badly-needed cure, but I didn't pause to ask for her directions, and... Well, as it turns out, the amount I drank had the unfortunate side effect of turning me into a massive hair-beast! It's effects were temporary, thankfully, and I was able to cover it all up with an illusion, but I was still itching all day...

Though on the other hand, being a bit flexible in one's interpretation of directions has its own virtues... One of my professors requested I clean the disastrous mess someone else made in the commons room, but instead I struck a bargain with Shearry to do his homework in return for him handling it. I guess the time we spent studying together was worthwhile! Then again, it is Shearry... Would he have cleaned it up anyway?

And then there's the times that it's questionable whether you should follow directions at all... I was down at the jail, when a man I knew claimed to have been falsely imprisoned, and asked that I take word to a few friends of his. I know that he has many ties amongst the higher classes, but the men I found looked to be of a distinctly lower sort... He gave me a few pims for my troubles, but that doesn't mean I did the right thing... Then again, he could hardly have broken out, and even if it was somehow possible, there's been no talk of it since. Likely, he just needed a couple of people to fetch his bail.

In the ongoing news of weirdness in this academy, Cirillo just waltzed right up to me and asked me "Heads or tails". I'm assuming he wanted me to bet on the flip of a coin, in another of his endless bets... Needless to say, I turned him down flat. Someone with as cursed luck as mine, betting against one as lucky as him, on a matter that's nothing but pure chance? It would be the height of folly.

And then a few days later, I wander past someone who's glamoured themselves to look just like me... I asked them what they were doing, but they just laughed and ran off. I'm assuming it was a spell gone wrong, and they didn't really mean to steal my appearance, but still... Weird.

I was really hoping to get all of my notes done this week, but I'm barely halfway through half my classes, and I've hardly touched calligraphy at all... I'm really going to have to study harder, midterms are just around the corner! I won't be able to help with the merit competition while I persist in being so far behind... Fortunately, my classmates seem more motivated, as we earned the third merit prize this week! They were just some carmel chews that I probably won't eat, but the important thing is that Vernin has them, and the other colleges do not.

22 Athonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Venicilium Library: Arithmetic

23 Athonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Library of the Mantle of the Stars: Observation

Random Event Student - Cirillo: You don't care.

24 Athonos: Morning: class

Random Event Vernin Common Room 5: Glamour Spells: Success

25 Athonos: Morning: Class

Random Event Spellcasting 5: Arithmetic: Success

26 Athonos: Morning: Class

Evening: Work until you Drop: Observation

27 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Observation

Random Event Thieves Guild 5: Sleuthing: Success (I think?)

Merit Prize III earned

28 Athonos: Morning: Work until you Drop: Observation

Afteroon: Work until you Drop: Negotiate

Random Event Disguise/Infiltration 8: Walk away

But as a Morvidus student I feel sorry for you for having to meet our less than pleasant members but please remember that not all of us are evil.

Too late, a month in and the only one she's really familiar with who isn't a complete jerk is obsessed with snakes :P . Not that Alice dislikes snakes or anything, but it's certainly not the hobby of a good person :) ...

...Huh. Speak of the devil; the first event on the first day I start writing this, involves snakes. ...Maybe Alice should become better friends with Uliva to avoid things like this...

Hum. In an added note of irony, Alice seems to find herself accused of Gates magic for the first game that she hasn't studied it in :o .

7 Pramidi

Dear Diary,

Ugh, what a miserable week! I've found myself used for target practice, bitten by snakes, and accused of forbidden magic!

First, some poacher decided I looked like a squirrel, and fired two arrows at me. He looked like he might collapse from hunger if he was forced to fetch them both himself, so I volunteered to look for them myself. I really should have let him, since by the time I found the arrow, a snake had gotten to it first! I tried to take it as nicely and threateningly as possible, that stupid jumpy snake still got nervous enough to bite me! The bite wasn't too bad according to the nurses, but I still lost enough blood that I just stayed in bed the next day. I swear, sometimes I feel as anemic as Patchouli...

Then the next day, just as soon as I heal up, I find some bubbling slimey monstrosity trying to escape from the kitchens! I tried to smother it in a pot, but it overpowered me and escaped through the chimney. I hope whatever it was isn't sentient... Or at the very least, doesn't hold a grudge. I've been watching the ceiling just in case, though.

Then the day after that, Eliana decided to use me as a guinea pig! She fed me this hideous looking fruit/vegetable hybrid she concocted with magic, using rat brains as an ingredient! I thought she was a vegetarian - what, does she just not care about animals if they're dried and powdered or something? Sure, the vegetable was tasty, but it's all just a bit too weird for me...

Of course, today I catch her gossiping with Grainne about how I'm supposedly some master of Gates magic skulking about the school for lost imperial treasures... Apparently, they find the way I'm always studying to be somehow creepy, instead of, you know, exactly what students are supposed to be doing. Sort of the reason we're all in this school to begin with, you know? I guess I'm kind of amused by it all, but they're believing it for all the wrong reasons, and it's the kind of talk that could get me in trouble with the professors... It kind of tempts me to learn a bit of Mastery to shut them up with, honestly.

Of course, with all of this nonsense about, I found it much harder to study this week... But I might have found a nice little shortcut. I've found a way to get into the Professor's Lounge - if I can slip in there for a few minutes while the professors are out, I could take a look at the lecture notes and copy them down to supplement my own. It would be a lot faster than taking my own, but if I was caught... Well, I might be serving a few days worth of detention, which would rather defeat the point. Not to mention, I'm learning a lot about the proper organization of libraries by studying at the Venalicium - enough that I might not be far off from being able to clean up Longshades a bit. I hear that Longshades is even more complete, so I might be better off sticking with studying at Venalicium for a while longer... I'll have to think about this for a while longer yet.

I guess it must be true for my classmates as well. I studied a bit with Emilia (her perfume was a nice change from all of dust around here), but she seemed to be the only one studying for the same classes as me. I saw Prudence here as well for most of the week, oddly enough; she's a more diligent student than I thought.

...Then again, she also picked a fight with the Headmaster today, so I guess she's not all that great a student. I hear someone stood up for her, but I wasn't able to catch the name.

I also learned of a nice little catalog today, diary, called The Inspired Pen. It promises to carry the best of inks and the finest of parchments for my writing pleasures. Were you hoping I'd use a finer ink to spruce you up, diary? Or perhaps that I might replace you entirely, for something a bit more durable :) ? I'm joking, diary, don't worry :) . But would you wish I'd use better ink? This one can fade a bit quickly, and sometimes clumps together messily. I could even get a variety of colors - a light blue, maybe, or perhaps a pleasant pink. Oh, or I could try impersonating professor Storey, and write all of my entries in code and in an invisible ink! Then again, I might need a few more pims for that...

I've found several shops that carry useful goods, so I've started to learn how to improve my negotiating tactics. I refuse to spend any of the money my family sends me, so I'm of very limited means. I'll have to drive a hard bargain, if I wish to get anything of worth. I've found I rather enjoy the give and take of it, though... "Madam, madam, these are the finest of silks! You must give me all of your money!" "What, good sir, are you blind? These are covered in filth and grime, and the rats have been at the corners! And look, they are covered in dust - has anyone else even expressed a hint of interest in them this year? Do you take me for a fool? I'll give you a single pim for it, and you'll be most grateful to have the space back!" ...Well, at least, if I wish to embellish it a bit.

Ah, but I've gone on for too long already, Diary. I'm still feeling a bit faint from the snake bite, so I shouldn't press myself too exceedingly hard. Goodnight, diary.

1 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Studied at the Venalicium

Random Event Foraging 14: Patience, failed

Learned of the Professor's Lounge.

2 Pramidi: Morning: Ill

Afternoon: Ill

Evening: Ill

3 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Random Event Kitchen 4: Sleight of Hand, failed

Learned of the Inspired Pen

4 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Random Event Garden 4: Ate the vegetable

5 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

Afternoon: Work until you Drop

6 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

Random Event Student - Grainne: Ignored them all.

14 Pramidi

Dear Diary,

Well, this has been a thankfully quiet week, compared to the last. Nothing terribly unusual happened, except for a brief tangle with a very strange pit trap - it had a little switch at the bottom of it that raised the floor to let whomever fell into it escape. I can't fathom who came up with such a pointless thing, but there are admittedly many such hazards in this school.

I seem to have been taking too much time in the Venalicium - enough that the staff has "encouraged" me to spend more time elsewhere, with some rather stern words. I felt that resolved my previous conundrum quite nicely - one trip to the professor's lounge later, and I found myself with enough notes to summarize a month! I bumped into professor Rupprecht as I was leaving, and took the time to ask a few questions about what I'd collected (without telling him why I'd thought to ask about them, of course); he was quite impressed by my diligence! Speaking of professors, Leith invited me to discuss the theory of enchantment with him. It's a very generous offer, but I'm not entirely certain if I have the time to take him up on the offer...

That said, they haven't been able to keep me out of the library for the entire week, and I picked up an interesting trick for if I ever intend to stir things up with Beatrix again. It's a bit involved, but basically it's "Lie about her until a Professor here's something she doesn't like". I'm not really certain I'm a good enough speaker for it to work for me, but it's worked for a lot of other people in history...

Speaking of history, professor Pluiete has told me where he gets some of the more prominent works we read in class. Apparently, there's an entire catalog for famous books! This nicely complements a store I found earlier, which sells the work of famous poets. Should I ever need a tool for practicing my rhetoric, these should be useful.

The timing is nice, since I think I've developed a pretty firm understanding of haggling. I don't think I really want to buy anything yet, though... I've read a lot about people who basically paid no attention to how many pims they had going in and out, losing everything, and finding themselves csat out on the street! I'm reasonably certain that most of these tales are allegorical, but they're still worrisome. I'd like to learn to keep better track of my pims, but I'm not certain where to begin... I learned a few phemes studying negotiation that should be applicable, but, well... As awkward as it is to admit, being at a school of magic, I don't actually know any spells. I should probably tackle that problem, once I have my notes straight...

Orso Orsi awarded us the fourth merit prize this week... It was basically just congratulating us? A bit weird, I thought, but it's made Vernin the talk of the school, so it's done me more good than the chews did. Speaking of which, I should really try one before they go bad...

Well, that wraps up this week, Diary. Maybe I'll have something interesting next week!

8 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Studied at Venalicium

9 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Dropped into the Professor's Lounge

Earned Merit Prize IV

10 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Random Event Magic Trap 4: Puzzles, succeeded

Learned Slander Character

Learned of Cailean's Footsteps: First Poet's Tier

11 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Learned of Professor Leith's back office.

12 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Work until you Drop

Learned of Famous Prose SP VI catalog

13 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

Random Event Daytime Hallway 2: Just Kept Walking

14 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

14 Pramidi

Dear Diary,

When I said that I might have something interesting to say, I didn't mean for the cook to be eaten by a furlang!

I snuck into the kitchen for a late-night snack, only to be assaulted by a shapeshifting furlang pretending to be the cook, armed with two knives. I knew it wasn't her, and so cast a little windstorm at her hoping to knock out whatever it really was, but my spell fizzled and blew only a slight gust. I was knocked unconcious, but fortunately professor Leith saved us both by dealing with it himself. Unfortunately, I received demerits for Vernin, and a stiff fine for the snacking...

In a more explosive but less consequential followup, someone mistakenly set a potion on fire in class, and I tried to extinguish it with a fireball. I was hoping that the fires would cancel each other out, but while the theory is sound, my execution was lacking; I ended up setting the entire room on fire instead. I was only slightly singed, thankfully, but the evidence increasingly mounts that Incantation is not my area of expertise...

I seem to do a bit better with potions, though; a muffler ate the directions the professor was giving us in lecture, forcing me to figure out what he wanted us to do on my own. Well, not so much "on my own" so much as "watching what Zoe did and working out what to do from her lead", but still less helpful than a professor's directions. I really should get around to talking to her one of these days, she's quite a good student...

Speaking of other students, with how much lurking about Aymeri does, I've taken to keeping a closer eye on what he's up to. Whether he's up to something himself, or finds out that someone else is up to something, I should be among the first to know...

I've finally almost finished my notes. I just have a handful of things to round out my Rhetoric notes, and I'll be prepared for the rest of year. I thought it would be easiest to finish off the last of my notes by swiping them from the professors lounge, but none of my teachers seemed to leave anything relevant in the lounge... I was only able to finish off Grammar in this manner. The rest of it, I had to squeeze in between studying filing. Those filing lessons paid off, though; I finally have my own little corner of Longshades organized enough that I can start learning there! I'll start just as soon as I wrap up Rhetoric.

Unfortunately, Aranz beat us to the fifth merit award... I'd not feel bad about it, but for the fact that it was my fault. My little stunt with the snacking earned us just enough demerits to give Aranz a two point lead... Ah, well. We'll beat them to the sixth, perhaps.

Let's see what we can find in Longshades next week, Diary. This will be exciting!

15 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Venalicium

Random Event Familiar 3: Concentration, success

16 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Learned about Aymeri Couer

17 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Drop into the Professor's Lounge

Random Event Kitchen 11: Incantation, failed

18 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Drop into the Professor's Lounge

19 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Work until you Drop

Learned about Famous Poetry IV Catalog

20 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

Evening: RestAranz earned Merit Point Award V

21 Pramidi: Morning: Work until you Drop

Random Event Potions 2: Incantation, failed

The Dance of Fools

Dear Diary,

Ugh! I spent more of the week in bed than I did out! It's like the world had it out for me... Well, more than usual, at least.

First, I was having some cold, leftover soup when I noticed a fairy in it. I tried to fish it out with my spoon, but rather than show any sort of gratitude, the fairy decided it was best to assault my nose! The darned thing gave me a splitting headache that left me unable to do anything the next day.

The next day, the gardeners let a maneating kadabga tree grow oversized. When I tried to slip away from it, it released this wonderful perfume that made me take leave of my senses and go lie next to it; I was minutes away from becoming plant food when the gardeners finally paid attention the thing, and rescued me. Thankfully, I lived, but I still took some nasty injuries... Which left me bedridden again.

Then, two days after that, I found an old, experimental room whose walls weeped and which reflected my magic. I recall reading about it, but I'm not able to find any more details, beyond the fact that its disused. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to discover much about it firsthand... When I saw the blood on the floor, I passed out and woke in the infirmary. I don't know what happened, but whatever it was left me bedridden again. Sigh.

And that's not the end of my trials with unconsciousness, either; when Durand and I sought out an alternative Dance of Fools celebration, I passed out when putting on a dragon skin. Not that I'm really certain it was a good idea... There was something really shady about that whole thing. But all of the costumes were so realistic, and everything about it just screamed "Mysteries waiting to be solved!"... If only I could have kept myself more focused, maybe I could have discovered something big.

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that I was correct in not playing a role in Rui de Casga's prank. If I had tossed that packet in the air, no doubt it would have filled the room with flaming wreckage or something similar - this week has not seen the best of luck.

This week did see one success, though. When an ant decided to become a giant through means of a carelessly spilled potion, I was able to pacify it with a quickly cast Collinearity spell - and even get it to let me ride it! Sadly, a professor swiftly noticed the giant ant and my intentions, reversing the spell and making me clean the spill... But it was a success all the same.

The other students have decided to take more of an interest in me, it seems. Both Asmita and Llarina took the time to speak with me. Are they after my notes, perhaps?... Unfortunately, my own efforts to be friendly with Eliana during the Festival of Pixies failed miserably. I baked her some cookies, but she assumed I was playing a prank on her. Given the day, I really can't blame her...

During my few conscious moments, I've taken the time to learn a bit more about Magical Appraisal. I'm not entirely certain how useful it will prove, but a means of identifying objects without blowing myself up should prove useful. I've also taken up dabbling in the brewing of potions - I don't really know what I'll do with it, to be perfectly honest, but it's one of few areas that I've seen reasonably consistent success.

22 Pramidi: Morning: Class

23 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Random Event Kitchen 3: Befriend, failed

Hung out with Asmita

24 Pramidi: Morning: Ill

Random Event Potions 3: Astrology, succeeded

25 Pramidi: Morning: Class

Evening: Longshades

Random Event Botany 10: Move Silently, failed

26 Pramidi: Morning: Ill

27 Pramidi: Morning: Library of Longshades

Afternoon: Library of the Mantle of the Stars

Evening: Assistant Tonic Brewmaster

28 Pramidi: Morning: Library of Longshades

Evening: Professor Leith's Back Room

Random Event Awesome Community 07: Curiousity, failed

Encouraged by Llarina

Festival of the Pixies: Morning: Ill

Random Event Classroom 5: Refused (Rui asked you to throw a packet in the air)

Holiday [The Festival of Pixies]: Creativity, failed

Merit Prize VI

The Dance of Fools: Morning: Library of Longshades

Evening: Assistant Tonic Brewmaster

The Dance of the Fools 01: Curiousity, succeeded

The Dance of the Fools 02: History, succeeded

The Dance of the Fools 03: Incantation, succeeded

The Dance of the Fools 04: Architecture, succeeded

The Dance of the Fools 05: Dragon

The Dance of the Fools 06a: Composure, failed

To Dear, Dear Leoshi:

D'you know, a combination of Cosetta Re, Joana Lio y Rossollo, Phillipe Marchant, Nyaa, Induce Coma and Create Formal Invitation can nearly prevent one from leaving the infirmary for the whole school year :rolleyes: ?

I just use a combination of Mastery and Gates to produce delicious snacks at the Premium Mineta Snack.Inc. ;)

Mind you, the procedure is gross :( , so if you are going to watch me you might want to bring a mask (I recommend the Beekeeper's Mask, it provide a very good defense).

Good! Keep going on that path and Master through any problem you can't get through with Bureaucracy :P !

Butbutbut, I so prefer Gates :( . Boldly exploring the great beyond, calling in a useful helper, disappearing witnesses, sending letters without slow temples and pricey couriers, bringing back the Dragons so that you may serve as the right hand of a new Draconic empire, or just plain getting to school on time when you're running late, it's endlessly useful!

7 Gelamenus

Dear Diary,

I've had it with the other students... They always look down on me, and ignore my well-reasoned advice, in favor of their own foolish whims. They laugh at the notion that I might have some insight into their issues, and why? Because my parents once disturbed some musty old tomb! They whisper about how I must dabble in Gates magic, and how I must be the one causing all of these disturbances around the school, when the real reasons are plainly obvious to anyone willing to spend two minutes to look around. Why do I even both to watch their petty little stories play out?

Take Amanda Kiffer's little Adventures in Hair. She comes to me with a plainly unnatural bad hair day, with her hair in two conflicting states of disaster. I ask her if she's tampered with it magically, and she flatly denies it. So I try and comb it back out again - I'm no hairdresser, but I can at least brush competently! - and instead the brush ends up lost in its tangles! Of course, if she cast a spell on it, that spell is going to linger regardless of what brush one puts to i. If she'd just been honest with me, we could have had the hair tamed in under a minute, instead of never, but oh no, what would that freaky Gates user know outside of how best to summon ghosts to tear down your house...

I keep warning my fellow students that if they keep frittering away their time instead of studying, that they'll find themselves failing their midterms, but do any of them listen? No! ...Well, Prudence has, at least, but Aymeri's just spent his time skulking about dark, forgotten corners, hoping (yet failing) to find any interesting sights.

I, on the other hand, am not merely prepared for the remainder of the year, I've already learned the spell Reverse Engineering, a moderately advanced spell related to (but not covered by) our Enchanting class. I still need to learn one of the phemes for it (Flawless), but it should be covered in class still... Or maybe I'll have to seek it out independently. Based on the concept it covers, something related to engineering, forging, or art should handle it.

I find that last bit concerning, honestly... Shanghai's been a bit ragged lately, so I've been working at the looms at the temple to get a bit of practical experience in tending to cloth. I've found that, while I can service a very suitable stitch, said stitch is nevertheless quite glaringly obvious, not being well-integrated into the pattern. Put bluntly, I'm just not that good at knowing how to make sewing look good, which is... Kind of the entire point of the field. Sewing is really on the border between practical design and aesthetic design, so if I'm this poor at border, I can only imagine how hard studying actual art would be...

Ah, well. I've taken to eating some of those carmels before they go bad. Maybe they'll make me feel better before next week...

1 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: Library of Longshade

2 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: Library of the Mantle of the Stars

Random Event Friendship 10: Court Hairstyles, failed

3 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

4 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Gates 3: Reason, succeeded

5 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: Work the Looms

6 Gelamenus: Morning: Work the Looms

Afternoon: Library of Longshade

Evening: Cast 6th Finger (with added Divide pheme)

Developed Bitterness, Eyes in the Back of your Head

7 Gelamenus: Morning: Work the Looms

Evening: Ate a Carmel Chew

Random Event Awesome Community 01: Famous Geometry Problems, failed

Learned of Luken Sigal's Orderable Goods catalog

14 Gelamenus

Dear Diary,

I'm feeling much better this week. I still feel like people are unfairly judging me, but so what? It's their loss; if they're too judgmental to take good advice, then they are the ones to suffer the consequences.

After all, I know that my reasoning is sound; just this week, it's lead me to finding historical artifacts, crystal balls, the prevention of disaster, the solution to competitions, and how to avoid troublesome dogs. Ah, a bit light on the details you say, diary?

Well, the artifact was hidden behind a door that posed a riddle to me. I don't quite recall the details anymore, but it involved the number of feet something had at various times; the answer was a werewolf by the name of Grit. I already knew the answer before he asked it, thanks to some of the imagery on the door, but I thought it best to let him tell the riddle just in case it was unrelated. It's strange, though... What I know of Grit's story doesn't quite seem to match what I know about the tooth. The legend states that he took it from the werewolf who transformed him, but the tale of the artifact states that it was given to a village by their werewolf protector (named Grit) to protect them while she was at war. Are they different Grits, perhaps? Or maybe I misremember the gender of the bandit who claimed the tooth? Or perhaps the story behind this tooth is longer than I knew, and they simply refer to different parts of the life of this tooth? I'll have to look into this.

The Crystal Ball was really nothing spectacular; I needed a crystal ball for school, and I had a coupon for one. It was high up on a shelf, so I looked up a levitation spell in a nearby textbook to bring it down gently.

Preventing a disaster was a bit more involved... A cat knocked down several potions, and had started to drink them. The labels indicated that they would cause the cat to grow giant and ferocious, so I used my knowledge of chemistry to quickly whip together a concoction to shrink it, and leave it calm and passive. I could have just run instead, truthfully, but... Well, if I didn't run fast enough, what giant cat wouldn't pounce a tiny thing running away?

I was able to quickly find the bronze egg for The Hunt through the sound application of logic; I was able to eliminate all of the places it wouldn't be, and guessed the correct location from amongst the remainder by connecting the Grounds to the historical basis for the competition. I was able to solve it in record time, and earned 50 pims for my trouble!

As for dealing with troublesome dogs... Well, one was following me after Dialectic class, so I left him at Philippe's room. I'm really not good with animals, so I thought pretty much anyone could handle him better than I.

In a spot of good luck, my fellow classmates still seem dedicated to competition; we earned the seventh and eighth merit prizes this week, and learned a spell for warming ourselves and the Camaraderie pheme, respectively. The spell is nice, though I'd rather just stay inside if it's cold out, but I already learned the Camaraderie pheme elsewhere... Ah, well, perhaps the ninth will have something I'll use.

I've turned to magic to help me better learn the art of sewing. I've cast Sixth Finger with an extra Give pheme a couple of times, in the hopes that it will better allow me to understand what others find attractive in a design. My success has been limited, but I'm making progress. That progress has lead me to a very unusual pheme... It's not the missing Flawless pheme, but the Regulate pheme. Is this present in all fields related to the construction of goods or something?... It's among the last fields I'd expect it to turn up in.

Hehe... Vettor Conta warned me, of all people, that exams are in two weeks. I should probably brush up a bit on the practical applications of my classes, but if anyone in this school is prepared to actually take the test, it ought be me!

Well, let's hope that next week goes as well as this one, diary. Time for sleep!

8 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: Dismiss Hardship

Random Event Locked Door 2: Logic, succeeded

Merit Prize VII

The Hunt: Morning: 6th finger (with added Give pheme)

Evening: Work the Looms

Holdiay [The Hunt]: Logic, succeeded

9 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

10 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

11 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Shop 12: Chemistry, succeeded

12 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: 6th finger (with added give pheme)

Random Event Shop 15: Research, Concentration, succeeded

13 Gelamenus: Morning: Work the Looms

Evening: Carmel Chew

Random Event Dialectic Dog: Pawn it Off

Merit Prize VIII

14 Gelamenus: Morning: Library of Longshade

Afternoon: Work the Looms

Cheimare Exam

21 Gelamenus

I think the world is beginning to fall apart! Well, perhaps that's a bit alarmist, but the evidence is plain as day.

First, the ground I was standing on while looking for magical ingredients gave way, sliding me down a very step and very gravelly hillside. I was able to grab hold of a root, but I scraped myself up fairly severely in the process.

Next, I searched with Eliana for a rare flower known to grow in circles of stones; we found such a circle, but there was no such flower present.

Later, a shelf full of Rimbals gave way, and when I moved a broom underneath to stabilize it, the shelf split in half! I was left cleaning up the terrible mess that resulted... Though, in all fairness, if I'd stopped to think, I'd have noticed that with how fast it was falling, it wouldn't be sturdy enough to take any impact...

And finally, when I tried to cast a quick spell in the kitchen to make myself some sweet bread, I set all of the pots and pans flying and burnt the bread. I was able to hide the scent of burning bread from a snooping professor with a quick incantation spell, but still... That's not what kitchen charms are supposed to do!

...Well, okay, pretty much all of that could be explained through minor mistakes on my part instead of the world collapsing, but it's still a strangely violent week, compared with the accounting and sewing I generally spent my free time on this week.

Speaking of sewing, once I really focused my efforts on it, it seemed to come quite effortlessly. I think I really have the hang of it now, and have some very nice (albeit illegal) clothing to show for it. Keeping Shanghai in good repair now shouldn't be any problem at all!

I've also learned that the bank is hiring students who possess a good background in arithmetic. I think I should take a look later; it sounds like good, safe, steady work.

15 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Foraging 3: Grab for something and hope for the best

16 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Student - Eliana: Observation, failed

17 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Shop 10: Engineering, failed

18 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: 6th finger (with added Give pheme)

19 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: 6th finger

20 Gelamenus: Morning: Selective Focus

21 Gelamenus: Morning: Rest

Evening: Spider's Grove

Random Event Kitchen 5: Incantation, succeeded

28 Gelamenus

Dear Diary,

Well, this has been a quiet week. I've spent the majority of it touching up my weaker points in preparation for my exams next week... Though the only one that was really any trouble was Rhetoric.

There was a bit of a rough spot, though, when professor Storey wondered what on earth I could be doing in the Library of Longshade wearing a Ripple Cloak, which he promptly confiscated. As valid a question as it may have been, did he have to take my Ripple Cloak? He also assigned me detention, but I shouldn't have any problems getting out of it soon enough.

I did a couple of favors for my fellow students in my free time. Cante wanted my help in testing a new healing balm of his; it worked fairly well, relieving a blistering cream he applied to me, but I still wouldn't have tested it if Monetario hadn't been near. Then again, seeing how Cante took off when he saw Monetario, maybe I shouldn't have tried it...

I also helped Vrenelle throw a race. She was being blackmailed into it by an upperclassmen, who forged evidence of her cheating on a test, and she needed someone... Less than physically fit, to drive up the betting in her favor. I agreed, though I was quite tired at the end; it wasn't dignified, but how often can someone like me say they beat someone in a race?

The whole thing left me late for The Last Feast, though. I'd held off on eating for most of the day so that I'd enjoy the food all the more, even... I tried flattering one of the guards, complementing his new earring, but it wasn't enough for him to let me in. Perhaps I should have put more of a space in "Nice earring, won't you let me in?"...

I worked my first day at the Renazlian Regional Bank today. I found it impressive how orderly and smooth everything was there; it was like everyone knew exactly what to do and when to do it, like some great clockwork device. It was actually rather peaceful, seeing it all come together like that... Nothing at all like the riot of conflicting plans that dominate the school. I was quite impressed.

I wonder if I'm really prepared for exams?... Well, I guess we'll find out; they start next week... Goodnight, diary.

22 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Random Event Library 9: Library Knowledge, success

23 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

24 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

25 Gelamenus: Morning: Class

26: Gelamenus: Morning: Class

Evening: Detention

Random Event Dance/Event 10: Ambush, failed

27 Gelamenus: Morning: 6th Finger (with added Give pheme)

Random Event Shopping 1: Observation, Composure, success

The Last Feast: Morning: 6th Finger (with added Give pheme)

The Last Feast: Random Event Student - Vrenelle: Yes

Holiday [The Last Feast]: Flattery, failed

28 Gelamenus: Morning: Assist the Clerks

7 Chemaire

Dear Diary,

Exams started this week! My first two exams were held, one on Calligraphy and one on Dialectics, and I scored perfect scores in both! That said, I didn't score the highest in Calligraphy... Several students seem inclined towards overachieving, with endless extra credit. I have thus compiled a quick list of students who need to be taken care of; Phillip Hauck, Noemia Falcon y Paredes, Basia Rydz, Aveline Cincebeaux, and Emilia Picotti, with particular emphasis placed on Phillip Hauck, who scored a 61!

That aside, it's been a surprisingly eventful week. I spent most of the week at the bank, but that hasn't stopped others from stirring up trouble in the school. None of it was particularly remarkable on its own, however... With the exception of Shanghai deciding that she needed to listen to music in the theatre. When I went to go and get her, she triggered a trapdoor as she climbed down, giving me a nasty little spill... And leaving me bedridden for the next day, when I needed to be at detention. Needless to say, I think I might be more occupied with detentions than I expected...

On an unrelated note, I've taken up Debate as a hobby. With how much of a focus my current part-time job has on proper process, it seemed a natural complement - and it goes quite well with my Rhetoric and Dialectic classes. I've made quite rapid process, to the point where I've already been invited to a debate society!

1 Chemaire: Morning: Exam (Calligraphy, scored 50)

Random Event Professor Alazzo 1: Revision, failed

2 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Random Event Pursuit 6: Let the ghosts go by

3 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Random Event Classroom 11: Observation, Willpower, success

4 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Evening: Assist the Clerks

Random Event Familiar 8: Persuasion, failed (personal note: familiar ran off to listen to music at the theatre, I called it down from the scaffolding, but Shanghai hit a lever that dropped me down a trapdoor as she came)

5 Chemaire: Morning: Ill

6 Chemaire: Morning: Exam

Afternoon: Assist the Clerks

Random Event Hallway 8: Composure, failed

7 Chemaire: Morning: Assist the Clerks

Random Event Foraging 6: Move silently, failed

14 Chemaire

Dear Diary,

Exams continue for the month. I only had one this week, in Grammar, but the list of students who must be dealt with continues to grow; the offenders include Phillip Rauck, Milena de Montors, Els Rottmundyn, Girars de Periarde, Rui de Casga, Leopold Rassent, Reitz von Lutersee, Zoe Melis, Neso Ulleri, Asmita Tidar, Ausdauer Mollers, Sima Venesico, Iustus Venture, and Vuillaume Eparvier. The top priority here would be Zoe Melis, scoring a 96, and Phillip Hauck, scoring a 93 (also making this the second time his name has come up); following behind would be Girars, Neso, Ausdauer, Iustus, and Vuillaume.

...I may need to find a more efficient means of dealing with these students, if I can't somehow gather them together in a large, open area, and persuade a large, angry dragon to handle them for me. Why are there so many overachievers in Grammar?...

I'd prefer to handle them magically, but this week would indicate that someone paying only casual attention to the arts of magic is ill-prepared for dealing with their problems magically. I may have been able to track down Malthezar with magic after he left me a threatening letter over a misunderstanding (and fortunate for it; Malthezar would pummel me in any form of conflict), but I was unable to dispel a simple illusory fire in class or create a persuasive enough glamour to fool Amanda into thinking I snuck her turtle into a restricted area for her. If I can't handle magic when someone isn't trying to hex me to unconsciousness while I'm casting, it seems doubtful that I'd fare much better when I'm outnumbered by people who are.

In other news, I've found that the debate society is willing to discuss some highly unorthodox topics. Is this the real reason they keep moving about constantly and are invitation-only? They were debating the finer points of the Theory of Gates. It's only theoretical knowledge, I suppose, but just broaching the topic like that at all, it invites censure from most quarters...

Ah, well, diary, I suppose I ought try and rest before I grab my broom and hunt down Phillip...

8 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Random Event Library 2: Say you haven't seen the cat.

9 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Evening: Class

Random Event Revenge 4: Enchant, success

10 Chemaire: Morning Class

Evening: Class

11 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Random Event Enchant 3: Negation, failure

12 Chemaire: Morning: Exam (grammar, 60)

Random Event Disguise/Infiltration 15: Glamour, failed

13 Chemaire: Morning: Assist the Clerks

Evening: Constructive Contention

14 Chemaire: Morning: Assist the Clerks

21 Chemaire

Dear Diary,

My last three exams were this week! I scored a perfect 50 in Arithmetic, the highest in the class; I scored a perfect 50 in Rhetoric; and I scored a 100 in Enchanting.

Continuing my list of troublesome individuals, I will need to deal with Cyrus Dawes, Catherine Chard, Carmine Sturzo, Silke Niederstatter, Eduard Solov'ev, Girars de Periarde, Luti Jaconelli, Amanda Kiffer, Jere Niemela, Herbert Downes, and Iustus Venture. Of these, Cyrus Downes, Eduard Solov'ev, Amanda Kiffer, and Herbert Downs are a high priority. Of people who are not a risk, I must name Aveline Cincebeaux, who scored a 1. Yes, a 1. No second digit involved. How does that even happen?...

I seem to have taken to fighting crime after school. A pickpocket set upon me in a shop while I was distracted staring at the future in a green ball, so I darted down an alley to intercept him as he took a less efficient route. I was able to handily catch him by surprise and recover my purse. Well, someone else's purse, but stealing from a thief is no big deal, right?

Sadly, I wasn't listened to when another criminal placed something into the cargo hold of the Griffon. I don't know what it was, but it was someone being very suspicious, wearing a differently coloured sash and carrying an empty bag. I informed the Loadmaster that something was amiss, but he assured me that everything was alright. Unfortunately, when he went down to take a closer look, the ship rolled in its moorings, injuring several crew members and seeing the disappearance of the loadmaster and another crew member... I did all that was required of me, but I still find myself somewhat uneasy. Are all people in such critical positions so careless in their work? I could have been on that ship... What would have happened to me?

I learned the Flawless pheme in Enchant today! Finally, I can cast Reverse Engineering. Unforunately, I seem to have a critical misunderstanding regarding the functions of the Regulate pheme. I was hoping to learn the art of Administration from it, but I still fail to grasp the basics of it after casting a spell on myself containing it... I'll have to look towards a different pheme for that.

I was also assigned detention again for being in the Library of Longshade... Hmph. I don't care how much they don't want me in there, I will study there!

15 Chemaire: Morning: Exam (Arithmetic, 50)

16 Chemaire: Morning: Exam (Rhetoric, 50)

17 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Evening: 6th finger (with Regulate pheme)

18 Chemaire: Morning: Class

Evening: 6th finger (with Regulate pheme)

19 Chemaire: Morning: Exam (Enchant, 100)

Random Event Town Shop 5: Navigation, success

20 Chemaire: Morning: 6th finger (with Regulate pheme)

Random Event Performance 5: Revision Spells, success

21 Chemaire: Morning: Number Slide (with Regulate pheme)

Random Event Docks 4: Character Study, failed

The Wedding Feast

Dear Diary,

I spent the week Reverse Engineering all of my unidentified items. Most of it was fairly straightforward, but I was surprised to find out that the broom I found several weeks ago actually improves my administration skills! Unusual, but it negates my need to identify an Administrative pheme. Now that I know the basics, I can start studying administration in earnest.

Which leads down some rather sketchy paths, I must admit... Looking through the history of famous administrators in the Library of Longshade, I've notice some alarming connections between administration and the methods of Mastery. It's really not a connection that I was expecting, though it makes a good deal of sense in retrospect... I just hope I don't find anything more along these lines, or I might find myself in a great deal of trouble amongst Academagia's staff!

Now that I've learned of Room of Decrees, I've taken to studying the bureaucratic rulebook they have recorded there. It looks like it should be very useful.

Some desperate thieves raided the school, trying to steal animals to make their escape... I tried to join a group of students and professors fighting against them, but a stray rock struck me, knocking me unconscious. It was a solid enough hit to leave me bedridden for the next day...

In honor of The Passing, I decided to study the lives of my ancestors. Honestly, I already know far more about my family than I'd ever care to learn, but, well, it's tradition. I'd not wish to ignore tradition, particularly not with how much of an interest certain members of the staff have taken to promoting it.

Milena mentioned that there was an alumni wedding, and suggested that we should sneak in. I agreed, since it sounded like it should be interesting, but I'd forgotten that she's rather bad at lying... We were able to attend, but as staff instead of guests. ...It was still worth, though :) .

22 Cheimare: Morning: Class

Evening: Reverse Engineer

23 Cheimare: Morning: Class

24 Cheimare: Morning: Class

Random Event Gates 4: Negotiate, success

25 Cheimare: Morning: Class

26 Cheimare: Morning: Class

Random Event - Black SnakeDown: Revision, success

27 Cheimare: Morning: Library of Longshade

Evening: Search for Imperial Word

Random Event Physical Activity 22: Pure Luck, failed

28 Cheimare: Morning: Library of Longshade

Evening: Research

Random Event Theft 10: War, failed

The Passing: Morning: Ill

Holiday [The Passing]: Library Knowledge

The Wedding Feast: Morning: Library of Longshade

Evening: Research

Random Event Physical Activity 14: Magical Appraisal, success

Holiday [The Wedding Feast]: Infiltration, failed

@__@

I guess you are eviler than me though, I never thought about targeting students just because they score good results in exam : P

(I did make Cosetta Re stuck in the infirmary when the final exam is up, but a professor dragged her to exam anyway...)

Gates are good. I am developing a spell to summon pudding from some malevolent sentient plane!

(I guess you want to summon dragons instead; good luck!)

The part about Aveline Cincebeaux scoring a 1 (!!) is really weird and funny at the same time. laugh.gif

Keep up the good work Jane, and which one of the characters you described have became your target ? Phillip Hauck is not exactly the best target.

To CremePudding:

About the beekeeper's mask, Zoology keeps giving it to me.

And please ignore my crazy twin who is obsess about removing Gates user from this world. I have already...send him away...<Evil Smile>

The part about Aveline Cincebeaux scoring a 1 (!!) is really weird and funny at the same time. laugh.gif

Keep up the good work Jane, and which one of the characters you described have became your target ? Phillip Hauck is not exactly the best target.

To CremePudding:

About the beekeeper's mask, Zoology keeps giving it to me.

And please ignore my crazy twin who is obsess about removing Gates user from this world. I have already...send him away...<Evil Smile>

Maybe Aveline actually cheated in her exam and got punished with a 1 for mark?

(Alice, go prove that true!)

Dear, Dear Leoshi:

Why don't you send him to my home plane? It is a nice place.

@__@

I guess you are eviler than me though, I never thought about targeting students just because they score good results in exam : P

(I did make Cosetta Re stuck in the infirmary when the final exam is up, but a professor dragged her to exam anyway...)

Gates are good. I am developing a spell to summon pudding from some malevolent sentient plane!

(I guess you want to summon dragons instead; good luck!)

Really CremePudding? :blink: If I dared risk expulsion then that is what my rivals would be targeted for! With no competition the grade-curves would be in my favor, and my favor alone! [insert evil laughter]

When I leave the Academagia, I would be the only student from my year when a decent exam and thus getting the best job is easy! Until I amass my armies and conquer the world!

That said, the fact that Aveline Cincebeaux only got a 1, is... disturbing. I don't doubt she was either caught cheating or was bullied for several days, nevertheless I will see to it that she too leaves Aranaz before the second year. I can't have these people dragging my collage down!

Gee, my post is lost it seems.....

Anyway, it is kinda scary - I did an Induce Coma on Cosetta Re, plus she's all stressed out from all the forced running I make her do via Formal Invitation, and she's being punched by Joana, Philippe and Prudence around, and somehow she can still score a 10 in exam in COMA.

But still, Jane, you should try sending them to the infirmary - it lower their score drastically.

...Erm. Well, I was halfway through writing this month's diary, then Adobe Acrobat crashed Firefox while I opened something that I'm quite certain was unrelated to pdf files. Not a whole lot happened this month, beyond Alice beginning the study of Languages as a means of learning something related to what she thought was something to fit the Bureaucracy into the greater fabric of society. That didn't work out as she intended, but she learned a few interesting things all the same (including learning about Culiman's shop, where she bought Tetoual Glory to wear, in return for selling a small emerald that a flower had turned into), and Sido taught her some a few things from the second year's coursework in famous dilemmas and logic. Ah, and she finished reading the Bureaucrat's Handbook, despite earning a few detentions from being in the Imperial Recordkeeping Room (not its actual name, I'll correct that later...)

While the entries are no longer usable, I have nevertheless faithfully recorded the pages of the diary for you here:

7 Hionosi

[entry singed and illegible]

[entry singed and illegible

7 Hionosi

14 Hionosi

21 Hionosi

28 Hionosi

I also had replies to people's statements and questions, but those were lost as well. Rather than rewriting them, as I'm loathe to repeat myself even when it's very much warranted, I'll instead summarizing my statements:

Creme - Alice wasn't planning on sabotaging the other students for doing well, but for doing well in what she believes to be an improper manner (flattery and fluff instead of knowledge and skill); she was planning on targeting her victim's notes in the month before exams - even if doesn't reduce them to scoring tens, it should ensure they're kept out of the better classes, so she won't have to deal with them next year.

Regarding dragons, it's more a contingency plan for unintended consequences, as opposed to any actual desire.

Leoshi - As many of the ones listed as she'll have time for, regardless of how difficult dealing with them may be; she intends to start with Hauck, then the ones who are in multiple classes with her, then ones that scored ten points or more over the maximum, then whoever happens to be less. She may or may not spare Melis, as they're on decently good terms.

Adrian - It's Alice's suspicion that Aveline just didn't study in this subject.

Should any of that require elaboration, I'll more than likely be ready to reply properly in a few hours, when I'm no longer fuming at Firefox and Adobe.

7 Veranix 7 Nivelos

Dear Diary,

Well. I do believe that taking you out of this room, even if I am running out of time to update you, is a bad idea. Especially when one of the more popular acts in the performance of the Acrobats involves juggling fire - it makes for a very impressive show, especially in these darkened halls, but if there's an error in the performance, keeping any form of parchment nearby is a very poor idea. You lost three chapters in that unfortunate accident :( . Though, I suppose I don't have to tell you that, diary, given that you must have felt it quite keenly...

Other than that, though, this week has been fairly quiet. I've blackmailed the chef into giving me an unlimited supply of snacks, after I discovered that a Groler had snuck its way into the kitchen so soon after I put on a performance of the War of the Rodents, but it will likely be of limited value; I don't really snack all that much. I might use it to learn a few new recipes, though; I don't cook a lot, but it could prove useful if I ever want to gain access to the diaries of Culiman's family.

I also got an excuse to kick Vettor Conta today. I don't have a particular grudge against him, per se, but he's been a hassle for several people I know, and he is a Morvidus... In any case, though, in his carelessness, he almost dropped an explosive compound while we were preparing potions for class, and I had to cushion its fall. There wasn't anything in particular that would serve as a cushion, so I had to use... Well, him. One boot to the stomach later, and the potion was spared an explosive fate :) .

Other than that, I dedicated the week to studying how the merchant houses would move goods across islands and from the docks to the storefronts. It should prove useful should I go through with my thoughts of pursuing a mercantile path myself. I think I've developed a firm enough understanding of the basics; with the spells I've learned, I suspect that I could get a job on the docks myself, if I were so inclined.

Next week, I think I'll study how this applies to the supply of large groups of individuals.

1 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Kitchen 20: Blackmail, success

2 Nivelos: Morning: Class

3 Nivelos: Morning: Class

4 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Potions 6: Wrestling, success

5 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Classroom 1: Patience, success

6 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Evening: Library of Mantele

7 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Afternoon: Libary of the Mantle of the Stars

14 Veranix 14 Nivelos

Dear Diary,

My Enchantment classes paid off today. At the dance, some pranksters conjured up a statement on the wall directly referencing me and my magical skills; one quickly muttered spell later, and the message was dispelled before there could be a major scene. A rather trivial display of magic, admittedly, but one that's quite practical.

Now if only I could disappear professors quite as readily.. I was reprimanded by professor Storey after I tried to slip out of a tavern unnoticed, and instead tripped right into him. With how busy the room was, escape should not have been an issue, but... Well, it would seem I can be quite clumsy. This was in addition to being reprimanded for being in Longshade again... One wonders why they don't just station someone there specifically to escort me from the premises.

Then again, maybe I should stay clear of it for a few days; in my investigations of how to armies supply themselves, I stumbled upon a few texts describing how Gates magic can be used to efficiently provide supplies. It was admittedly interesting, but I'd rather avoid proscribed knowledge. Between this and the debate society, I'm questioning just how suppressed this kind of knowledge really is...

I think I'll turn to studying civil law and courtly discussions for a bit. I've been meaning to learn how the system is meant to function, and these two fields should neatly answer this question.

8 Nivelos: Morning: Class

9 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Shop 14: Just leave.

10 Nivelos: Morning: Class

11 Nivelos: Morning: Class

12 Nivelos: Morning: Class

13 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Afternoon: Library of Mantele

14 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Random Event Awesome Community 11: Plot, failed

Sententae: Morning: Library of Longshade

Random Event Duel 1: Incantation, success

Holiday [The Sententae]: Magical Appraisal, success

21 Veranix 21 Nivelos

Dear Diary,

Hm. This law thing is a bit trickier than I thought, even with an organized mind... It's taking me a lot longer to learn than most other topics. Still, I'm seeing a lot of ways a careless person could go wrong in their dealings, so it's really better to learn it now than after I'm being sued! Courtly Discussions are also a bit trickier to learn than I would have expected, but the reasons there are a good deal clearer to me... Put bluntly, I speak too bluntly. Apparently, it's considered cringe-inducing to openly say, "You know, if such and such were to be removed, it would make things easier for us".... Then again, I should know have known it would all be a bit euphemistic just by the name.

Other than that, I've found a firm mind to be very helpful this week. I added too much mylenia powder to a potion I was preparing, and I had to strain the excess out. Removing the powder was a very precise process; a little bit too much or too little, and I'd have ruined the potion. Shortly after, I found my pants tore; I had be very careful where I walked while searching for a sewing kit, keeping my back to walls at all times. Any absent-mindedness on my part, and the entirety of the floor would be laughing at me!

But a firm mind is not necessarily a creative mind, something I've been putting my mind towards; I was dared to dress up as the Scarlet Avenger and give a quick quip. I'm not really one for costumes, so I thought I'd be a bit creative regarding the parameters of the dare; rather than literally dressing up as the Avenger, I tied a large number of notes to a large number of birds, set them all to flight, and had them drop a message promising important dealings come night, rhyming in the style of the Scarlet Avenger. Then, I smuggled some fireworks to the towers, and set them all off after dinner. It was an exciting plan that ought have the school talking for weeks to come; it certainly wasn't what I was dared to do, but hardly anyone will take issue with my results.

That said, I can swiftly imagine some three different ways I could be sued over that just off of the top of my head (endangering others because of the fireworks, use of birds without the approval of their owner, breach of contract by not remotely filling the letter of the dare I agreed to), so... Perhaps I ought continue studying the law.

15 Nivelos: Morning: Class

16 Nivelos: Morning: Class

17 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Evening: The Debating Stone

18 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Evening: Organized Mind

Random Event Potions 11: Concentration, success

19 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Wardrobe Malfunction 6: Sewing, success

20 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Random Event Disguise/Infiltration 1: Ink Compounds, success

21 Nivelos: Morning: Library of Longshade

28 Veranix 28 Nivelos

Dear Diary,

I've become skilled enough in civil law to actually be allowed to Advocate in the Lesser Court! I think I'll focus on practicing law for a while, instead of studying it - I doubt that I'll make much more progress in studying the law elsewise. I've also taken this opportunity to file a civil suit against Beatrix for some of the stress she caused me while traveling to Academagia. It wasn't the greatest of awards - only 20 pims, once the filing fees are accounted for - but she was also assigned detention over this. It's a start, at least. That said, I found the strangest of connections while researching Civil Law in the Library of Longshade... I uncovered repeated references to gates magic! Apparently, there's still a fairly large number of laws on the books related to the practice of gates, certainly enough to get a good idea as to the principles behind the magic. I wonder, just how isolated a field does one have to find, to see it genuinely isolated from proscribed schools of magic?

In other news of profiting through stressful negotiations, I was able to persuade Aveline to pay me ten pims to let her out of a box. I really ought have done it for free, but... Well, that 1 she scored on an exam. If that's not a sign she's not long for the academy, I don't know what is - and if she's not going to be here long, shouldn't she be of some service to the rest of the student body? This is just demonstrating concern for the good of the academy.

That said, I should probably be restricting my own casting of Incantation spells for the good of the academy... I accidentally destroyed a teacher's textbook - oh, don't worry Diary, I'd never recklessly cast spells around you - during the Festival of Iasos, when I tried to spice up my teaching of the class with a bit of magic. I left the disordered pages the way they were, as I didn't want to make things worse and the professor could easily fix my mistake, but it's still a hassle... And I could easily be sued for the destruction of institutional property.

Similarly, today I tried heating up a gargoyle to get him to leave me alone as I was collecting soil samples for class, only for him to reflect my spell back on me, badly injuring me. The doctors suggest that I'm likely to be confined to bed tomorrow, which is particularly inconvenient as I had intended to search for a misfiled Imperial Decree tomorrow - and had cast Yost's Resort today to facilitate the process.

This incident causes me to consider whether I would have been better off spending the week studying criminal law - it certainly strikes me as reasonable that I ought have grounds to have that gargoyle arrested, as well as Beatrix. I might not have pims to compensate me for their crimes, but at least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that they wouldn't be troubling anyone else. Perhaps I'll make that my next field of study.

I should relax now, Diary. I'm still in a lot of pain, thanks to that Gargoyle...

22 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Familiar 5: Reason, success

The Festival of Iasos: Morning: Library of Longshade

Holiday [The Festival of Iasos]: Let it be.

23 Nivelos: Morning: Class

Random Event Student - Avelene: Negotiate, success

24 Nivelos: Morning: Class

25 Nivelos: Morning: Class

26 Nivelos: Morning: Class