Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Fishy Mercenary

cymrean

First some introduction is in order. I love that you opend up your game for outside contributions. I wanted to write something since I started playing, but usually i have a problem to select what i am going to write about.

Enter Joie de Vivre (or any other ability that increases a random skill). I decided to let the game choose for me. I noted down the first 3 skills that were randomly increased. That were supposed to be my 3 exits. Then there was only the question of connecting the skills in some way and writing the event. What i managed to do is below. Enjoy.

The Fishy Mercenary

It's been a dull day at the Academagia so You decided to visit the Admiratio. The Market is busy as usual, people from all around the island go about their business. They haggle, they buy, each of them locked in their private personal world, not paying attention to most of what other people are doing.

You're not looking for anything specific, but You stop by a fishmonger's to take a look at some of the strange creatures he's selling. "Why would anyone want to eat that? Fish stink and are slimy to the touch. And expensive, don't forget expensive." You think to yourself as someone bumps into you. You ignore it as usual, it's not uncommon for people to bump into one another here.

"Hey watch where you're going." says a menacing looking man with a sword strapped to his back. A Vilocian Mercenary! "You people from that magic school think you're above common decency, don't you?" Before you manage an answer he adds "But I'm gonna change that. A duel here and now, sword against wand!" and draws his sword.

Exit 1: Palettes. A duel, eh? Quickly draw phemes to you palette and disarm him with a spell.

Success: You take out your wand even before he finishes talking and draw phemes for a disarming spell. Your skill with your palette is so good that you manage to finish the spell in a matter of seconds and your adversaries sword goes flying into the air and lands a good 20 feet behind him. The mercenary has to grudgingly admit defeat and apologizes for his prior behavior.

You hope that it will reach him a lesson for the future and continue your day just a bit happier then five minutes ago.

Reward: +1 Phemes SS

Failure: You take out your wand even before he finishes talking and draw phemes for a disarming spell. But soon you wish you haven't tried to be so fast. You mixup the Conjure pheme with the Contour pheme... When you fire your spell all you manage to do is to outline the marcenary's silhouette with a rainbow of colours. Your rival starts to laugh at your pitifull display of magic. He decides that you embarrassed yourself enough and lets you go to wallow in your ineptitude. You quickly leave the Admiratio, but you hear his mocking laughter ringing in your ears for hours.

Penalty: +1 Stress

Exit 2: Vilocian. Swallow your pride and apologize formally in the merc's language.

Success: It wasn't your fault, but you're not one to argue with an armed man. You bring up everything you know about Vilocian, the language of mercenaries. Lessons with professor Sido have sure payed off! You recall an antiquated, but very formal way of showing regret. "I @Player Name@ of @Player College@ apologize for my behavior. I know I have wronged thou, but alas it wasn't my intention. Accept these sincere apologies and let there be peace between our families" you recite with proper inflection. The mercenary is surprised by your speech and lets you off the hook. Who knew languages could be so useful in real life.

Reward: +1 Etiquette SS

Failure: It wasn't your fault, but you're not one to argue with an armed man. You bring up everything you know about Vilocian, the language of mercenaries. It's not much, but you hope it will be enough. You say what you had to say, but the mercenaries face takes on a redish colour and his brows get even more furrowed. "What did you just call my father and brother???!! You'll pay for this." He starts chasing you, you run but not fast enough. You get nicked by his sword before you manage to run though the Academagia Gate, where the mercenary dares not follow. You stop and regain your breath and pay a visit to the infirmary.

Penalty: -1 Vitality

Exit 3: Fish. Take a quick look around for an improvised weapon.

Success: You quickly look at the nearest stand, the fishmonger. You notice a Yellow-Striped Bass, a fish famous for it's poisonous stinger. And what do you know, the fishmonger forgot to remove it before putting it on display. How reckless of him! You grab the fish carefully and throw it towards the mercenary hitting him right in the cheek with the stinger. He yells in pain and rushes off, presumably to find some medical help. You quickly hand the fishmonger some money for the fish and make your way back to the dorms. The Admiratio never fails to brighten up your day.

Reward: +1 Archery SS, -10 pims, +1 Fish SS

Failure: You quickly look at the nearest stand, the fishmonger. You notice a Yellow-Striped Bass, a fish famous for it's poisonous stinger. Too bad that fishmonger actually knows his job, the stinger is cut off. Panicked You grab the fish nonetheless and throw it towards the mercenary, but your aim is way, way off. The destringered fish flies over the head of your target and hits a city guard who was drawn to the scene by the mercenary's shouting. It landed smack in the middle of his vest, which is now covered with fish slime. Yuck! No matter how hard you try to explain the situation, you can't convice him that you threw the fish with good intentions. Who does that?! The guard makes you wash his uniform then returns you to school where @Random Professor@ scolds you and gives you detention.

Penalty: Detention, +1 Stress

This is actually an awesome idea. I've been running out of random encounter ideas for modding... I think I'll start doing this (or perhaps a visit to the Sphinx), and see how I can work the three skills in to something involving (sort of) the character.

It's well written, too. :D

Archived