Black Chicken Studios Forums

What are the White Briefcase inventory like icons at the bottom of "Results of the day" Screen?

Von-Wulfen

What are the White Briefcase inventory like icons at the bottom of "Results of the day" Screen?

When I click on them they are empty, I did some training in my first 3 free periods, and choose to do it at different locations.

Can they sometimes contain random items you acquired/found just because you studied or trained in that location? 

I also failed at some random event in the kitchens while training, I gained some stress but do I still gain any bonus points or skills for failing?

Or should I always go with the Green "Run away" type option that I can't fail?

I'm just wondering if I had better train and study in my own room for a few weeks to avoid any stress?

1 hour ago, Von-Wulfen said:

When I click on them they are empty, I did some training in my first 3 free periods, and choose to do it at different locations.

Can they sometimes contain random items you acquired/found just because you studied or trained in that location? 

I also failed at some random event in the kitchens while training, I gained some stress but do I still gain any bonus points or skills for failing?

Or should I always go with the Green "Run away" type option that I can't fail?

I'm just wondering if I had better train and study in my own room for a few weeks to avoid any stress?

1. That's actually a good question,as I never found out the answer for this.

2. No. Edit: Ignore this, false.

3. Failure can inform you of a skill, thus allowing you to train it. In rare cases, it may even give you skill steps.

4. Depends on how dire you feel the situation is... getting caught trespassing will lead to detention, failure to do physical stuff can lead to lost Vitality, failure to answer a teacher's question can lead to stress. There's all sorts of small consequences, and they are not always logical so it's difficult to tell.

5. Unlocking effective training location is a good plan, but it does require meta game knowledge.

If you don't mind spoilers:

Spoiler

Try to aim for the Longshade library. That's a good early game training place.

15 minutes ago, Marcus said:

1. That's actually a good question,as I never found out the answer for this.

2. No.

3. Failure can inform you of a skill, thus allowing you to train it. In rare cases, it may even give you skill steps.

4. Depends on how dire you feel the situation is... getting caught trespassing will lead to detention, failure to do physical stuff can lead to lost Vitality, failure to answer a teacher's question can lead to stress. There's all sorts of small consequences, and they are not always logical so it's difficult to tell.

5. Unlocking effective training location is a good plan, but it does require meta game knowledge.

If you don't mind spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Try to aim for the Longshade library. That's a good early game training place.

I was just looking through my results for the day and see I have gained skill in insects and some other insect-based information :)

The encounter in the kitchen involved me catching an insect, that I then let go and it made more mess.

So even though I gained 1 stress, I have now also got some skills in insects :)

Also, Insects is a sub-skill of oology which Is one of the classes I took :) 

That leads to another question, I can see there are a number of ways to relieve stress, like rest etc. Is it worth wasting a free period on 1 stress point or does that single point have a negative effect on everything I do?

Just now, Von-Wulfen said:

I was just looking through my results for the day and see I have gained skill in insects and some other insect-based information :)

The encounter in the kitchen involved me catching an insect, that I then let go and it made more mess.

So even though I gained 1 stress, I have now also got some skills in insects :)

That leads to another question, I can see there are a number of ways to relieve stress, like rest etc. Is it worth wasting a free period on 1 stress point or does that single point have a negative effect on everything I do?

Yup, failure is not always the end of things :D.

Depends on your max stress, with a max of say 3, one bully action from Joana can lead you to Infirmary, but otherwise Rest is a wasted time slot. Generally stress needs to accumulate to more than 3 to have any consequences, unless your max is lower than said 3, and if your max is, say 15 or more, even that 3 may not have any consequences.

In my last playthrough I rested only once, but this requires reloading and meta game knowledge, so depending on play style this may not be a option.

1 minute ago, Marcus said:

Yup, failure is not always the end of things :D.

Depends on your max stress, with a max of say 3, one bully action from Joana can lead you to Infirmary, but otherwise Rest is a wasted time slot. Generally stress needs to accumulate to more than 3 to have any consequences, unless your max is lower than said 3, and if your max is, say 15 or more, even that 3 may not have any consequences.

In my last playthrough I rested only once, but this requires reloading and meta game knowledge, so depending on play style this may not be a option.

I very much like the "Risk/Reward" system :)

Thanks for the info on stress. I have my first 2 periods of class and one rest period. Ill use the rest period to Assist the tonic brewmaster and gain 10 pims, expands understanding of negation methods plus a random brew sub-skill to unlock potions :)

Generally the penalty for stress comes in the form of negative emotions. You can check this for all the emotions:

http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Emotions

It lists anxiety as requiring stress>3, Courage <4 and Schoolyard Education <5, but I doubt it is quite this simple. For example, I remember having more than 15 stress with no negative emotions, so there must be some kind of a roll on the turn you gain stress. Unless of course this a bug.

Edit: Wait... was it composure that raised the limit? In any case, I'm unsure.

The briefcases at the result screen correspond (poorly, because of a bug I don't think was fixed) to the location inventories of the location(s) you physically visited during a given turn. Yes, some locations have items laying around them that you can..."recycle", let's put it that way. Yes, doing that to Schohanwicht's collection of Gates stuff is inadvisable, if you intend to take a character into later years.

And yes, Emotions are actually that simple. Having a high Courage makes you completely immune to Anxiety, even if something gives you the emotion directly it'll just fade away after a day. Of course the same is true in reverse - you can get a positive emotion from something, but you can't keep it unless you have the right stress/skill levels.

8 minutes ago, Metis said:

The briefcases at the result screen correspond (poorly, because of a bug I don't think was fixed) to the location inventories of the location(s) you physically visited during a given turn. Yes, some locations have items laying around them that you can..."recycle", let's put it that way. Yes, doing that to Schohanwicht's collection of Gates stuff is inadvisable, if you intend to take a character into later years.

And yes, Emotions are actually that simple. Having a high Courage makes you completely immune to Anxiety, even if something gives you the emotion directly it'll just fade away after a day. Of course the same is true in reverse - you can get a positive emotion from something, but you can't keep it unless you have the right stress/skill levels.

Interesting. You go through the game several times and each time you learn something new. Something to keep in mind for the next run.

Had a second look through the emotions list, and yes, my late game stats do seemingly make me immune to negative emotions. On other hand after resting in late game, it gained me six+ positive emotions, making my character seem like a mentally unstable crack user. Perhaps not the most balanced system for Y1.

There's not a lot of locations you can, ahem, "recycle" from, but those that exist tend to be lucrati-eh I mean...very wasteful. Y-yes, that.

One of many systems that's slated to change in Y2, yes. Although I have to admit it allowed for me to concoct a plan to weaponize (what do you want from me, spellcheck!?) the Love emotion, which sadly fell through, but still, I have to respect a system that allows me to do that.

38 minutes ago, Metis said:

There's not a lot of locations you can, ahem, "recycle" from, but those that exist tend to be lucrati-eh I mean...very wasteful. Y-yes, that.

One of many systems that's slated to change in Y2, yes. Although I have to admit it allowed for me to concoct a plan to weaponize (what do you want from me, spellcheck!?) the Love emotion, which sadly fell through, but still, I have to respect a system that allows me to do that.

This "Recycle" Would that come under an event I just had regarding a fine dagger, I had th option to steal it but i just admired it and put it back. On my daily summery I noticed my ethics skill had gone up, I'm assuming it because I did not "Recycle" the dagger?

Archived