Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few issues with patch 8

ackron

Hey guys,

I finished my patch 8 playthrough last night. The game was started in patch 8, but the hotfix was applied about halfway though (when I realized "register for whip's studio" wasn't working). There were no gamestopper problems, but I did find 1 major issue and a couple of minor ones.

The major issue is that detentions/hall sessions are not properly overwriting your rest periods. Occasionally they work, but more often they don't show up, and the first warning you have is the "you have been reprimanded for skipping detention/hall session" notice in the daily summery. At that point, I would have to reload a save game, and manually select detention/hall session from the abilities list in order to attend them. Also I cannot be completely sure (because of the previous bug) but I believe that on 2 occasions I received a detention (for trespassing or skipping class) and it was scheduled for the same day, and then I was reprimanded for missing it (because obviously I didn't have it scheduled).

Ok on to the minor problems.

Several times the game crashed after I reloaded an earlier save from inside the game itself (ie not from the title menu).

The description for the action "Perform Music: Harpsichord" begins: "Performing a musical piece on your Violin..." I'm not sure if that's a copy/paste error or if the action is actually linking to the wrong description or what, I never tried actually using it.

The Mercenary Guild House currently expands Vilocian twice, once as the first thing it does, and again as the last thing it does, I don't believe that's intended.

I'm not sure what test you need to make to escape detention with Finus Piaxenza, but whatever it is, I could not make it, I think I was stuck with him on Mondays for the last 6-7 weeks of the game.

Does your familiar skill bonus apply to tests to succeed with actions? I tried out the Emperor Sphinx's room this time, and despite having with 10 and my familiar have 4 ranks in it, about half the time I only got the first effect on the action.

I almost hate to report this, cause I love the bug so much, but... I have never yet failed with Isabeau's clique action (The Big Haul) despite the fact that it says it only has a 50% chance of working. I must have done it about 30 times in various playthoughs so far.

I noticed that when I did the Faux Dragon's questline, I got some minor new abilities related to my familiar (claw attack, aerial agility, etc.), are those unique to that questline? Cause I never got em doing the other familiar's quest lines (I finished the hawk one for sure).

There has got to be a better way to organize that massive list of phemes. I was casting adding some phemes to ordinary spells to improve my grades at the end of the year, and it took forever to scroll through that massive list and find ones that improved the skill I wanted. Could you make a table or something that cross indexed them by effect (skill increase, damage done) or something?

Finally, I just want to add that I played through the "A meeting in the tavern" adventure line for the first time, and I thought it was by far the best of the 3 "main" adventure lines (having done the headmaster one and the pirate one on earlier playthroughs). Also I saw the "you are being watched" adventure for the first time on this playthough. Is that new? It was a really cool adventure either way.

Ackron;

Thanks! We are still looking at Detention/Hall Sessions replacement. It's been a thorny problem. If you can pm me a RapidShare of the save game that displays the issue where you had to manually replace your Action with the Detention or Hall Session, we would be most grateful!

Regarding the crashes that you experienced upon loading- were these the Patch 8 save games you mentioned?

Perform Music: Harpsichord is a known issue that will be closed in DLC 2.

Regarding the Mercenary Guild House, the double expansion is correct- it is a benefit for succeeding at a Roll.

Finus requires Administration, Study Habits and/or the Theory of Glamour.

The Familiar Bonus applies to Actions and Abilities as well- what was your Insight Attribute?

Thanks for letting us know about Isabeaux- that will be corrected in DLC 2. :D

Some Familiar Adventures award Abilities to the Familiar, but not in every case.

We are working on new reporting for Phemes- it's been a popular request. :)

Thanks again for reporting these!

Ackron;

Thanks! We are still looking at Detention/Hall Sessions replacement. It's been a thorny problem. If you can pm me a RapidShare of the save game that displays the issue where you had to manually replace your Action with the Detention or Hall Session, we would be most grateful!

will do

Regarding the crashes that you experienced upon loading- were these the Patch 8 save games you mentioned?

yes, they were all from my current playthrough

Regarding the Mercenary Guild House, the double expansion is correct- it is a benefit for succeeding at a Roll.

cool, you might wanna put something in the description then, although it was a pleasant surprise :D

Finus requires Administration, Study Habits and/or the Theory of Glamour.

wow that's weird then, my admin and study habits weren't so good, but my Theory of Glamour was very good (in the 8-10 range), does it randomly decide which skill to test? I suppose I could have gotten very unlucky.

The Familiar Bonus applies to Actions and Abilities as well- what was your Insight Attribute?

I don't remember exactly, but it started at 3 and was probably at 4-5 by the time I started trying to use the room. I gave up and reloaded an earlier save after a few failures though. This was before the hotfix, could that have made a difference?

Ackron;

Excellent, thanks- could you also e-mail your Academagia.log (found in C:\ProgramData\Academagia) to me? I'd like to look at the crashes and how they have been reported.

The Hotfix should not make a difference on whether or no you succeed at the Emperor Sphinx, but I will investigate it.

Thanks again!

Archived