Black Chicken Studios Forums

Clique members may decrease skills or attributes

Monteverdi

Clique Members can increase attributes.

They can also decrease subskills. Listen Attentively helps discover things like this about other students, but it's randomized. You can get clues to what a person will do to your character if they join your clique by checking out their personality paragraph.

They can also decrease subskills. Listen Attentively helps discover things like this about other students, but it's randomized. You can get clues to what a person will do to your character if they join your clique by checking out their personality paragraph.

You can get "Listen Attentively" at Befriend level 5, and at level 10 you get "Leading Conversation" which does the same except that you choose the target.

You can get "Listen Attentively" at Befriend level 5, and at level 10 you get "Leading Conversation" which does the same except that you choose the target.

Level 10? A lot of time spent pumping up Befriend. ;) Not denying it may be worth it to some, though. That's one of the very nice things about the game: there are any number of ways to approach it from a perspective of "advancement."

But my point was that adding friends to your clique isn't necessarily a win situation, but may represent tradeoffs with losses to subskills involved.

Ehm what? Do clique members lower subskills?

As in passive/permanent lowering or merely when trying to use their skill?

Ehm what? Do clique members lower subskills?

As in passive/permanent lowering or merely when trying to use their skill?

Take Magalda Quaranta: "...As a benefit of being in her clique, Magalda's closest friends will enjoy Increases to their Rimbal Plays (+3), Rimbal Positions (+1), and Rimbal Tactics (+3) skills. This obsession comes at a cost, however, in the form of a penalty to one's Concentration (-1) and Composure (-2) skills."

So if an Event comes along that taps Concentration and/or Composure on specific responses, chances to succeed will be less certain if you're in Quaranta's clique. She's not the only one, either. There are some clique leaders who drop other skills, and some who directly drive away other friends of yours.

I cannot remember any that directly drive away friends?

Except perhaps because the different clique members have a low relationship with eachother, but thats not Student specific.

I could be misremembering this, but I thought Sonmeil had a negative impact on your other friends in general. Can anybody else confirm or contradict? I could well be wrong, and would rather be corrected than give out inaccurate information.

I could be misremembering this, but I thought Sonmeil had a negative impact on your other friends in general. Can anybody else confirm or contradict? I could well be wrong, and would rather be corrected than give out inaccurate information.

Wrong character, right idea. It's Neta Xemutre. If she's in your clique, within a short while you'll have to choose between her, and everybody else in it.

Wrong character, right idea. It's Neta Xemutre. If she's in your clique, within a short while you'll have to choose between her, and everybody else in it.

See, it's things like this that make me wish a character could be randomly forced into your clique.

The opportunities for mischief could be huge!

I thought that issue was about low relationships between clique members that went on to cause trouble within the clique. I think that is independant of specific Students and more a random event with relationships in general.

I think the topic was actually about increasing attributes, and we've wandered a bit off--from increasing via clique members to warnings that the same clique members may decrease skills or attributes, to their affect on other clique members. Much of that is admittedly my fault, so I'll just keep mum for a bit. :unsure:

That's definitely a problem with friendship levels and not a special ability of Neta's. Neta Xemutre's been in several of my cliques (I like the +1 Charm bonus she gives) and she's never caused any sort of problem at all. However she's also been friends with all of the other clique members and the cliques haven't been too large (five members was the largest).

There are a number of clique members who reduce skills and attributes. Some do it passively, others do it actively. (And there seems to be little rhyme or reason as to who does it how. I'd love to see the clique abilities all streamlined since as things are some are drastically more powerful than others.)

The worst for reductions is Alan Driscoll who gives you a -2 to Charm, in exchange for +3 to Luck and +2 Dedication, +2 Concentration, +1 Explore

That's definitely a problem with friendship levels and not a special ability of Neta's. Neta Xemutre's been in several of my cliques (I like the +1 Charm bonus she gives) and she's never caused any sort of problem at all. However she's also been friends with all of the other clique members and the cliques haven't been too large (five members was the largest).

There are a number of clique members who reduce skills and attributes. Some do it passively, others do it actively. (And there seems to be little rhyme or reason as to who does it how. I'd love to see the clique abilities all streamlined since as things are some are drastically more powerful than others.)

The worst for reductions is Alan Driscoll who gives you a -2 to Charm, in exchange for +3 to Luck and +2 Dedication, +2 Concentration, +1 Explore

Sounds buggy, then, and like something you might want to consider adding to the Content 2 Patch thread, H.

Archived