Black Chicken Studios Forums

Questions on Exploring

Torolf

Okay, finally made a luck based character who maxed his Explore parent skill and set him to work exploring Academagia. The first three times, he 'discovered' locations that were already informed. Block Puzzle, Negation Classroom and one other. Then he found a couple new (to him) classrooms, and then his next explore action failed.

Now, with a luck of 7, an explore parent skill of 10, and a familiar explore parent skill of 6 as well (for a roll of 0-14 + 13) vs. a target number of Luck/Explore vs. 4. Should he really have failed? There were no negative modifiers that I could find. He hadn't run out of locations, for his next explore action yielded the arithmetic classroom, and a reprimand for trespassing.

When exploring locations, would it be possible to remove already known locations from the list of potential explorable locations?

I had thought that trespassing was only invoked when taking at action at a location, not merely discovering it?

Are locations discovered in any particular order of difficulty, or is it completely random?

Also, on the same character, even though he had already formed his clique with Silke, Neta and Vincent Eins, Three other students (Zoe Melis, Malthazar, and Vuillaume Eparvier of Godina) somehow were added to the clique with no action on my part or reported action of theirs (or my own clique members that I could tell). Once this happened with a relationship of zero with (Vuillaume). I had thought that this couldn't happen.

This sounds like a similiar Bug I encountered and Reported not long ago with Match Wits with the Emperor Sphinx where I haved 10 Wits (Char) + 6 Wits (Familiar) vs 13

About your Clique dont forget that people who arent in a clique when they sucessfull use Befriend on anyone in your clique will join your clique.

Torolf;

For the Explore issue, this may be related to how we try to block Locations you have already found from being Explorable again, but we'll need to investigate. Also, and I doubt this is the case, but please check your game version to make sure it is 1.2.4.0. Earlier versions of the game did have issues with Explore such as the ones you mentioned.

Trespassing, alas, does still occur when Exploring- after all, you have to be there in order to Explore it...:)

Thanks!

Schwarz: the last I knew, any attempts by other students to befriend you while you were in a clique automatically failed. And I've never seen this happen before across dozens of playthroughs. The most I've ever seen was a message saying that random@student failed to Befriend me. Once or twice I've been recruited into a clique when I wasn't already in one, but the clique never grew after that. This is something new and drastic. Many times I make the end of the year without any friends at all. (Not big on social skills)

Legate: At least I now know to expect reprimands if I explore. Just to be safe, I verified that my game version is 1.2.4.0.

Torolf;

We spent some time today testing Explore, but we did not see any repeating Locations or anything in the code which suggests that should occur. From your description, it sounds as though you created a new game, using 1.2.4.0, correct?

I'd like to take a look at your save, if you could pm me with a RapidShare link.

Thanks!

Yes, this was a new game created in 1.2.4.0. As it happens, I spent some time on Explore as well, using explore actions (outside classes) from Aruit until Anedeus, stopping only for rest and detention. I explored only in Academagia proper. I was able to repeat exploration of known locations about three or four more times, (though it's hard to repeat, due to the random nature of Explore) additionally, I had several odd failures to explore. I stopped the exploring after six consecutive failures, guessing that I had run out of locations to find in Academagia proper.

I've never uploaded a file in my life, so you'll have to walk me through the process to get you my save.

More thoughts on explore:

A message notifying you that you've explored the entirety of an area would be helpful.

There are many fascinating things to be uncovered by exploring, though far fewer useful ones. It struck me that exploring might be less of a time sink and more useful if the areas to explore were broken down into smaller areas to potentially decrease the time spent trying to find a certain area. For example, I concentrated on exploring Academagia proper to gain access to all the classrooms and professor's offices. Right now, it seems that the time spent exploring to uncover useful areas would generally be better spent unlocking locations through skill training.

Bonus random thoughts on cliques: A message notifying you that someone has joined your clique would be appreciated. Right now, the only notification I get is that the one that notifies you of getting their clique ability.

Torolf;

The failures you saw are almost certainly due to an exhaustion of discoverable Locations at your Explore level- but you still shouldn't see the same Locations Explored again. There may be some doubling going on- we'll have to investigate.

It's an excellent idea to notify you when you have exhausted all Locations- we'll see if we can do it.

For the others, Academagians have already requested these, but no ETA as yet. :)

Thanks again!

Thank you. PM with save sent. I also have a save from the first day of the year for that char, on the off chance you need it. Additionally, I didn't take notes, but I do remember that the Head Chef's Kitchen was one of the locations that was found at least twice (maybe three times).

Archived