Black Chicken Studios Forums

The System Error Strikes Back

PignutPie

I would just like to inform the mod of two facts, the first of which is my undying devotion to this game and its seductive capacity to lull me into a state of tranquil gaming torpor through which I can better procrastinate real life. Thanks Academagicians!

The second fact is a little less seductive-tranquil-torpor-y and more blah, but on the upside it is also compelling evidence demonstrating my devotion. You see, the game crashes on me about every thirty minutes or so. It also runs veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy sllllloooooowwwwwwwwlllllllyyyy for about 10 min or more before a crash. It's really difficult wanting to play it when it is so slow and crashy, but it's also really difficult not playing it because it's just so good!

Anyway, I saw a thread a few months back about "system errors" which is the error message that pops up when it crashes, usually on a load. I do admit to reloading often (because if I had a superpower, it would be the TARDIS). I deleted my cache and GCC and I'm going to go check and see if that helps. But I'm operating on Impulse and the latest patch, and the patches don't seem to have fixed it since that last thread . . . at least in my case.

Anyway, keep up the good work! WTB Year 2! Oh, but if you could add some sort of ending . . . even if it's just little titular categories we'd all get sorted into at the end, like "troublemaker" or "teacher's pet" or "most likely to be eaten by a feral dandelion" that would be ever so awesome.

PignutPie;

Ugh! Yeah, Academagia does need a lot of memory. We definitely have our work cut out for us in optimization as we go forward. Thanks for this report- it's a known issue, and we'll keep at it.

For the ending, we've definitely had that requested from many Academagians. I am not sure what we'll do in Year 2, but at least a Character summary will be present. ;)

Thanks!

Okay, just a little more info. It's summer; I have time; I played through the game three times this weekend trying different things. The first thing I did was get rid of Impulse and just purchased the game directly from your site. That actually helped the speed issue a lot. However, it did not help with the crash on reloads. And what I realized (after three games . . . hey! at least I got to try a lot of different adventures! I hope to see the Watchers make a destructive reappearance somewhere in Academagia 2. The quests that opened up from leveling languages were awesome!) is that it rarely crashes on reload at the beginning of a game, but as the school year progresses, it continues to crash more and more on reload. In fact, the last game I played, I could only reload once or twice at the end of the year before the game would crash (I was trying to see what all the different rewards were for adventures).

Also, I've read somewhere on the forums about people being able to go to the month Kapsus when they open their endgame save. That has happened to me too, but I have something else to add to that: on my last game, I could (occasionally) go to the month Kapsus even before the game ended. I was trying to plan out training my familiar and was flipping through the calendar and SUP!? KAPSUS!

Anyway, I'm sure you are aware of all of this. But, in case you aren't, maybe the info will be mildly useful.

Pie;

We are, thanks! That ending problem, in particular, is vexing.

The System Error issue is the result of an ever growing memory- the game keeps track of well, most everything, and as the year goes on it becomes steadily more problematic. The issue is accelerated by frequent save/reloads, but just remember to periodically flush your cache- that will help!

Archived