Black Chicken Studios Forums

Y2 WIP Adventures (come and proof-read!)

Metis

Heart Matters, stage 9:

Spoiler

Back at the Infirmary the nurse there is thoroughly unamused at the idea of Monika having "an entire circus" showing up to see her again, but Becker is able to convince the nurse that critically important family matters came up that cannot be postponed. The nurse is either unable or unwilling to argue against that, so with a shrug she lets the four of you go. After she leaves Ralf quietly mumbles something about it being a good thing that Becker was able to take point there, since that made it easy for him to hide Mizuchi. Right, Familiars are not allowed in the Infirmary. Kinda forgot about that detail.

As for Monika, she seems to be sleeping in her room. Ralf has a noticeable reaction to seeing Monika, but of course he doesn't say anything. In part because he seems to be choking on his own words, admittedly. "You four stand back, please," Mizuchi suddenly says. "I'll take it from here...and I suspect Monika will be more at ease without an entire crowd looming over her."

You've no objection to that, and if anyone else does they're biting their tongue, so the four humans slowly shuffle into a corner while the small snake jumps from Ralf's hand onto Monika's bed and slithers up to her sleeping face.

This would be such a concerning sight in just about any other context, but fortunately you know Ralf's Familiar isn't out to hurt Monika.

"Awaken," Mizuchi commands using her "dramatic" Glamour voice. You're not sure if that's the most effective way to wake her up, but if Ralf isn't objecting you're not either. Regardless it doesn't seem to work the first time, but a few attempts later and Monika is starting to stir.

"Hmm...Mizuchi?" Monika mumbles, but given the otherwise dead silence in the room you're still able to hear it pretty clearly. "R-ralf? Wh-where is Ralf?"

"He will visit you again, don't worry. But we need to discuss something equally important, first," Mizuchi answers, but you're guessing from Monika's sad whimpers that she doesn't agree. "I speak the truth, as I always do. Your family wishes to speak with you."

Again, can't exactly make out what noise Monika is making, but the disagreement is undeniable.

"Enough," Mizuchi calmly commands. Surprisingly it works perfectly, the noise Monika was making falls silent. "Monika, your caretaker has been running around, panicked, over your feelings. I cannot claim to read her mind, so I cannot speak to how she feels, but all the same I'm sure she wants to hear what you have to say to her." No response this time, at least that you can hear. "Speak, Monika. I also need to hear your voice."

You think Monika does actually respond to that, but it's too quiet for you to hear. At least you sincerely hope she did. If Monika refuses to talk to Mizuchi, than you will run out of idea very quickly...

Mizuchi, for her part, shakes her head. You're not sure if Monika can see her, though. "Monika, forget about Ralf for a moment. There are others who-" Mizuchi starts, but even you can see that Monika refuses to hear any of it. "Why?" Mizuchi eventually asks. Unfortunately you could not hear what prompted the question, and cannot hear Monika's answer to it any better. "Alright. Monika, open your eyes and look at me."

Monika does open her eyes, but based on some subtle movements of Mizuchi's tail you're guessing that she won't be able to see everyone else here. Not that she seems particularly aware of her surroundings, to be fair. She's focussed on Mizuchi, and her fever can't be helping her any. "Your fever is making your body feel weak. No energy to think, no strength to hold it all back. Is that right?" Mizuchi asks. Monika nods. "I understand, but Ralf is not the only one who can offer you a shoulder. Your caretaker is around as well. She will not see those tears if you don't show them to her, and she cannot comfort you if she doesn't know you're crying. Do you understand that?"

This time Monika shakes her head, and she seems to clam up a bit. Even Mizuchi isn't sure how to respond to that at first, merely asking Monika why she feels that way. "They don't want me," Monika quietly answers. But since she's speaking (relatively) clearly the otherwise dead silence makes it possible to hear her. Mizuchi asks Monika how she knows that. "People like me often make the same mistake our parents did. Becker told me what mistake I'll likely make, made me swear up and down I wouldn't, but she knows I will. She's trying to arrange for the help I'd need to make sure I wouldn't, but...she'll be too late. That's why. It'd be easier for her if everyone just forgot about me..."

Becker can't help but look away at this point. You also let your gaze drop. Awkward as it is to be the third or even fourth wheel, there's worse positions you could be right now...

Mizuchi, speaking of, briefly stares perplexed at Monika's answer before shaking herself out of it as best she can. "Alright. Monika, can you hold out a little longer?" she asks. Monika nods, but you're not sure if you believe it. She's shaking. "Good. Now, listen carefully to me: It seems you cannot extend a hand out to your family, talk to them about how you feel and ask them for the care, and attention, you truly need. They, in turn, cannot take or push away that hand, since they do not know how you feel and what you need. That silent stalemate between you and your family, moreso than anything your parents did, I'm sure is what is putting you at risk of doing something you'd later regret. Is that something you can believe as well?"

Monika has to think about it, but after a tense moment, she nods.

"Then let me explain what I think you should do: Once this fever has passed, think about how you feel. About your family, about yourself, about what you feel will lead you down the wrong path. Ask someone to help you figure it out, if you need it. Once you are ready, talk to your family, face to face. Explain to them the situation you're in, show them how you really feel. I don't know if your family will accept or push you away, but this stalemate needs to end. Does this sound like a good plan?"

Monika is hesitant to admit it, but after Mizuchi points out to her that she doesn't want to continue to feel the way she does, she does slowly nod.

"I understand this is a life changing decision for you. I will not deny that. However, I also genuinely believe that this is the best way forward for you, and I wish to see you as Ralf wishes to see you - happy." That last part earns Mizuchi a stifled sob from Monika, though Mizuchi doesn't let that stop her. "Monika, dry your tears, and hear these words: On my family's honor, I vow and promise to assist you with this as best as I am able. If you need a listening ear, or someone to push you forward, or if confronting your family alone proves too much and you need someone like me to act as an intermediary, or support, simply ask. Ralf will not object, and if my form proves any issue, my Glamours will provide an answer." It's hard to tell, but you think Monika looks relieved. "Now, I can find Ralf and bring him here, but I also know your caretaker is around, and in need of seeing the condition you are in. If you are not ready, or don't feel well enough to face her right now, I won't force you to. However, I also refuse to lie to her. Can you promise me that you will seek to end the stalemate between your parents and try to avoid not just the mistake your family fears, but the mistake you fear that, without proper and informed guidance, you might commit? Swear you will, convince me of your sincerity, and I can tell your caretaker that I have done the best I can with a clear conscious. Than I will feel comfortable with bringing Ralf here, instead."

It takes Monika a moment to find the words, and the courage, but clearer than she's said anything so far she is able to get out, "I vow and promise, on my love for Ralf, that I will do just that."

Ralf, for his part, looks like he has a minor heart attack hearing that. Poor kid.

"That will certainly be enough to convince me," Mizuchi says. And indeed, her voice has all the confidence she could wish for. "I will bring him, he is not far. And Monika? I know he is not your family, but regardless, once he is here, hold nothing back. He will not know how you feel unless you show him, or tell him, either."

Monika nods, one last time, as she stifles another sob and crawls beneath her bed's sheets. Meanwhile the peanut gallery is standing around like convicts at their own execution, awaiting Mizuchi jumping off the bed, slithering over, and addressing the rest of the room after getting back to Ralf's shoulder.

"My Glamour can dull Monika's already weakened senses, but I'm no professor," Mizuchi says to probably three of you. Ralf...well, he's got his work cut out for him. Not that he isn't anxious to get to Monika and start comforting her, mind, the poor boy is just thoroughly lost and out of his element. Thankfully Mizuchi is also here, and you know she's good at whispering good advice into people's ears. "You three, I deeply regret this turn of events, I truly did not expect to end up in this position, but regardless...try to make a stealthy exit if you can. Monika, I believe, would benefit from some space right now."

"Of course," Tulia says with a smile on her face. Sadly it's fake. "Just, eh...I'm not very good at, you know, sneaking. And I get the feeling miss Becker hasn't taken any classes in cat burglary either, so...[PC FIRST NAME], any ideas?"

To end your journey into helping one very wayward caretaker and her even more lonely child like this...how embarrassing...

-Creativity. Escape through the window.
--These private Infirmary rooms tend to be Glamoured to look like a student's dorm room, and this one is no exception. Of course that means the image of a several story drop you see outside the window is, in fact, not real. In fact when you actually look down you can see the quality of the Glamour noticeably degrade. Which makes sense - creating a realistic view outside a window isn't trivial, and someone sick in bed isn't able to look at the illusion from this angle.

"Mostly just disappointed in your lack of creativity, Tulia," you say, jokingly, as you open the window and casually step through the Glamour illusion it shows of the world outside. Of course looking around you're not entire sure where you are in terms of the Academagia's Grounds, you don't often go to the Infirmary from outside, but worst case you can just wander around until you see a landmark you recognize. The building itself you cannot possibly miss, so there's no risk of accidentally stumbling into Elumia Proper.

"W-what? Where is-that window is not real?" a confused Becker says as she first pokes her head through the window, than awkwardly climbs through it. She might be a regular in the Forum of Naxum, but she is not the athletic sort. "[PC FIRST NAME], what is going on here?"

You quickly explain the situation with the student dorm Glamour, while Tulia - much more easily, though no more gracefully - exits through the window as well. "I'll admit I didn't think of that one, but you realize the nurses are going to get confused and start asking questions when the people they saw walking into Monika's room mysteriously never left, right?"

"You're assuming the same nurse won't step out or go off-shift for any length of time soon. Remember that Becker mentioned critical family matter or something along those lines? I'm sure that could be expected to take a while."

"Fair," Tulia admits. "So, what now? I guess we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise, but...we kind of already know? It's, eh, going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family, only to find out they already know, don't you think?"

You cast a quick glance through the window, and see the exact scene you were expecting - Ralf, secretly being advised on what to do by Mizuchi, holding a crying Monika in his arms as she lets out a waterfall of tears. You're not sure why Ralf is so hesitant to admit it, but you're sure he cares for Monika the same way she cares for him, on some level. "I suspect she'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point too. So, shall we try and find out way back to civilization? I'd rather try and navigate the Grounds than try to break back into the Infirmary again."

"Yeah, let's do that," Tulia says. Becker, for her part, is still eerily quiet, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later...

--The door is uncomfortably close to Monika's bed, and unless Ralf walks around to the other side Monika is likely to end up staring right at it. Not the most stealty of exits, but than what self respecting burglar walks in through the front door like that anyhow? They'd climb in through a window. Like the window right there. It's...admittedly a bit of a drop, but you're sure Becker can manage. Tulia can probably cook up some kind of slowfall spell.

You're just going to pointedly ignore your lack of confidence in your own spellcasting there. It's fine, your old fashioned climbing skills will get this job done!

"Mostly just disappointed in your lack of creativity, Tulia," you jokingly say, regretting it a second later as that sounds like an opening for Tulia to question your spellcasting in a minute. Oh, no matter. A bit of climbing will surely impress her enough that it's her turn to show her stuff. You walk over to the window, nod appreciably at how rough the wall below it looks - not sure why it's in such a sad state to be perfectly honest, but hey, you're not going to give the maintenance crew any flack when their laziness helps you out - and casually step through the window, ready to grab hold of some footholds.

Your first foot only finds a perfectly smooth wall, and the resulting fumbling you're not able to recover from, leading you falling out of the window and landing - painfully - on your back on the ground below. Just as you're worried you've broken something from that fall, however, you look up and see the window is, in fact, on the ground floor. What?

Quickly a perplexed Tulia pokes her head out of the window, and you can't help but notice the rest of her body looks a bit...fuzzy. Magically so, in fact. "Is it seriously that hard to step through-wait, don't tell me you forgot private Infirmary rooms are Glamoured to look like student's dorm rooms..."

"Alright," you say with all the dignity your aching spine can muster right now. "I won't tell you. Probably didn't need to, though."

Tulia sighs and climbs out the window. Really, really easily. "W-what? Where is-that window is not real?" a confused Becker says as she pokes her head through the window next, than awkwardly climbs through it. She might be a regular in the Forum of Naxum, but she is not the athletic sort. "[PC FIRST NAME], what is going on here? And are you alright?"

Becker didn't hear what Tulia just said? That Glamour must be sound proof, or at least sound resistant. Good news, you may or may not have let out a panicked yelp when you fell.

"Fine, fine. Just-aargh!" you say, only to try and get up. "Try", key word. "Heh, landed on a bad spot. Tulia, a hand please?" Instead of giving you a hand Tulia lets out a defeated sigh, draws her wand and cast a Revision to mend your injury. At least the worst of it. Good enough, in fact probably better. Afterwards you pick yourself back up. "Thanks. Okay, so..." You look around and realize you actually don't know where you are right now. Somewhere on the Academagia's Grounds right next to the Infirmary, obviously, but you're not familiar with where this is on the outside. "Tulia, do you know where we are? Or-how to get back to civilization, I mean. I don't want to find out whether I can actually break something trying to sneak into the Infirmary, and I trust you don't either."

"I don't know, it could be entertaining," Tulia jokes. Your blank stare apparently only amuses her further, too. "I don't know where this is, but it's not like we'd wander into the Imperial Reserve before we realized we left the Academagia behind us. We can just wander around, we'll find our way back eventually." Wandering around for a while is exactly the thing you don't want to do right now, your back still aches, but you suppose you don't have much choice. "My concern is actually the nurses. Sooner or later they're going to realize, and start asking questions when the people they saw walking into Monika's room mysteriously never left, right?"

"You're assuming the same nurse won't step out or go off-shift for any length of time soon. Remember that Becker mentioned critical family matter or something along those lines? I'm sure that could be expected to take a while."

"Fair," Tulia admits. "So, what now? I guess we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise, but...we kind of already know? It's, eh, going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family, only to find out they already know, don't you think?"

You cast a quick glance through the window, and happen to look at just the right time to see Ralf lock lips with Monika. Tears are streaming down the poor girl's face, pouring after Ralf's lips touch hers, but she's holding Ralf tightly in her arms while he seems to gently keep her head close to his. Meanwhile, here you are, keenly aware of the potentially long walk you're about to go on while you feel a sharp pain in your back. Sometimes it's just not your day, you suppose. "I, eh...I get the feeling she'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point too. So, shall we try and find out way back to civilization? Back pain or not I'd rather try and navigate the Grounds than try to break back into the Infirmary again."

"If you're going to want to visit the Infirmary about that it'd be faster to..." Tulia begins, before falling silent. "You know what, never mind that. Let's get going." Becker, for her part, is eerily quiet, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later...

-Move Silently. Don't make a noise.
--"Not scuffing your feet is not that hard. Watch," you say as you carefully, slowly, and deliberately move closer to the door. Tulia and Becker are paying rapt attention, while Ralf is told to start making his way over to Monika. He's shaking, but he's shaking his way over, so good on him. "Alright, now you two," you quietly say to Tulia and Becker. The latter has markedly less confidence, so you look at Tulia and silently ask her to go first.

She is even slower at repeating the motions you showed, but she does mimic them properly, and she's able to control her breathing at the same time. Satisfied that she'll make it through you sneak back over to Becker, as she seems like she could use a more direct hand.

Ralf, meanwhile, has sat down on Monika's bed and is very carefully trying to get her attention, shaking her ever so gently. It's downright adorable, but you kinda have that girl's caretaker to smuggle out the door still.

Speaking of which, you quickly check to make sure the woman isn't wearing high heels - she isn't, thank the heavens - and show her again both how to lift and and how to plant her foot so that she won't make undue noise. She nervously nods and repeats the motions as best she can, indeed not making much sound in the process (no more than Mizuchi can't cover for, at least). You nod at her with a confident smile, and encourage her to take another step. She does, carefully taking one step after the other, until she reaches the door and awkwardly slips through.

That leaves you, but of course you're confident in your ability not to make a noise, so that's not a problem. The problem instead turns out to be Monika - Ralf has managed to wake her up, and she's sitting upright in her bed. Staring at Ralf with tears slowly streaming down her face as undoubtedly many more are being held back. This room is not what you'd call brightly lit, but it's not dark either. And Monika hearing you isn't a problem if she ends up able to see you.

The good news is that you noticed it in time for you to duck onto the ground, which is the best hiding spot you're going to get in this room. The bad news is that this kinda limits your movements, as you don't think Mizuchi could make you invisible.

...Actually, speaking of Mizuchi...no, trying to slither would not work out for you. Regular crawling is the better bet, though how to do that quietly you'll have to improvise on the spot.

"E-eh, uhm...eh," you hear Ralf nervously sputter out. Why did he have to sit down between Monika and the door? This would have been so much easier for you if he just sat down on the other side of the bed and directed Monika's gaze away from the door instead of towards it...

Monika, for her part, chokes and stumbles over her words as she tries to tell Ralf how she feels. It puts you in an awkward position because if she's looking down she's got a good view of the floor - and you, in turn - whereas if she's staring at Ralf's face she'll have a good view of the door.

As you start to seriously ponder whether you're going to have to hide underneath the bed until she falls asleep again, gods know what Tulia and Becker will end up doing before that happens, Monika (eventually) manages to get her feelings for Ralf out. Afterwards she quietly asks Ralf how he feels about her. Maybe he could distract her? Mizuchi can whisper into his ear, could you possibly signal her to help you? "Ah, e-eh, I, uh," Ralf continues to awkwardly sputter out in the meantime. He's not going to be of any use, you need to figure out a way to signal Mizuchi. "I-I, eh, I don't know. I really don't know how I feel about you."

Your entire thought process, indeed your entire body, comes to an abrupt halt upon hearing that. What, in the name of every god out there, is that idiot kid thinking!? Yes, awkward new feelings you don't know what to do with, been there done that. You don't say that right to the face of someone who just confessed her love to you in a situation like this! Gods, you swear you're going to get up and smack that kid upside the head at this rate.

Monika falls eerily silent bar her occasional sobbing. You don't even want to imagine what her face looks like right now. "Monika, please, close your eyes," Ralf suddenly asks. That's good news for you and all, right now you're more worried about what Ralf is going to do for his sake. Especially because you can't exactly hear whether Monika closes her eyes or not, so it's hard to gauge whether you've got an opportunity to slip out or not.

Suddenly one of Monika's sobs is interrupted. Shortly after the sound returns, different this time, and faster. You nervously eye the door and wonder if this is your chance, but you can't be sure whether whatever is going on up there will last long enough to give you that chance. Frustrating, but what else are you supposed to do? You really don't fancy interrupting those two and having to explain yourself afterwards, so you'll just have to be patient. Like any good sneak needs to be. Wait for your opportunity and all of that.

Less than half a minute later Monika's sobbing returns to what it sounded like before. You made the right call, that was not long enough to make sure you slip out quietly. Seconds after that and Monika starts crying her eyes out, though shortly after it sounds muffled. Ralf pulled her into his arms? Must be, right? Than Surely you will get your opportunity soon. Surely. You have to...

"That's how I feel about you," Ralf quietly says to the girl crying out in his arms. You eye the door again, but you're just not sure. Actually, what about Mizuchi? Maybe those two are distracted enough to give her a signal? You'd really like some help right about now.

While Ralf awkwardly starts to explain his feelings, and Monika helpfully points out to the slightly dense kid that what he's feeling is love, you dare to exit your hiding spot enough to get a better look. Mizuchi is on Ralf's shoulder, and thankfully notices you pretty quickly. "Why are you still here?," she whispers into your ear, using her dramatic voice. You frantically gesture between Ralf's back and the door, trying to point out the mistake in position that Ralf made and the fact that Monika might see you. Fortunately Mizuchi understands your complete mess of mime motions. "Curse me for forgetting. That was my mistake," Mizuchi whispers. Thank the heavens she believes you, that makes this so much easier. "I'll tell Ralf to hold Monika, and prepare a Glamour. Get ready."

Oh you are so ready. You can see Ralf move his head towards Mizuchi slightly when she whispers her "suggestion". Ralf nods, and moves one of his arms. That's your cue. You carefully stand up, and while the two are distracted with each other and under Mizuchi's Glamour, finally slip through the door and get out. Sweet freedom at least!

"What took you so long!?" Tulia immediately shouts the moment you close the door behind you. That thing isn't soundproof, so you're glad Mizuchi prepared a Glamour. You're just not sure how strong that Glamour is.

"Right after Becker left Monika got up and sat down to face Ralf. Not easy sneaking out when she's staring right at the door in front of her," you explain. Really, you're just relieved you managed to get yourself out of there. That would have been too awkward otherwise.

Tulia stares curiously at you for a moment, but after staring you down decides to believe you. "Alright. So, what now? I guess we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise? I'm just saying, it's going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family only to find out someone already wrote that down in her memoirs."

You stare at Tulia, not hiding how tired you are of your little misadventure. She lets out a sigh and backs off, thankfully, leaving you to address Becker. "She'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point, worst case," you drily remark. Seriously, what a story of how they first confessed their feelings for each other. You don't even want to imagine what they first kiss is going to be like...actually, thinking about it, Ralf probably did kiss her there. Good. He really needed a saving grace after that spectacular blunder. "In any case, shall we get out of here before the lack of soundproof door becomes our final undoing?"

"Uh..." Tulia says, nervously staring at the door she just shouted right outside a minute ago. You choose not to tell her about Mizuchi's Glamour. It just seems...not necessary, somehow. "Y-yeah. Let's do that," Tulia quietly confirms. Becker, for her part, is quietly staring off into space, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later.

You are, as a matter a fact, more than willing to do that right about now...

--"Walking quietly isn't that that hard. Watch," you say as you do your best to sneak closer to the door. It's not perfect, there's some footstep noises, but they're quiet enough that a sick and Glamoured first year is not going to notice them. It gets the job done. Tulia and Becker don't seem as confident, while Ralf is told to start making his way over to Monika. He's shaking, but he's shaking his way over, so good on him. "You two next," you quietly say to Tulia and Becker. The latter has markedly less confidence, so you look at Tulia and silently ask her to go first.

She is much slower when sneaking towards the door than you were, but you can't help but notice her footsteps don't seem to make any noise. And she's able to control her breathing, too. Was she lying about not being a good sneak? She seems better at it than you are. In any case Tulia manages, but Becker is still hesitating, so you sneak back over to her.

Ralf, meanwhile, has sat down on Monika's bed and is very carefully trying to get her attention, shaking her ever so gently. It's downright adorable, but you kinda have that girl's caretaker to smuggle out the door still. Does the Thieves Guild ever have to deal with stuff like this? Questions you probably don't want to know the answer to.

You quickly check to make sure Becker isn't wearing high heels - she isn't, thank the heavens - and show her again how to walk without making too much noise. She nervously nods and repeats the motions as best she can, making more noise in the process than you did, but no more than Mizuchi can't cover for. One tap at a time she eventually reaches the door and awkwardly slips through, only giving you a mild heart attack every time her foot touched the floor and you were worried she'd either slip or something else went wrong. She didn't, though. You're last.

Of course you've demonstrated your ability not to make too much noise twice now, so that's not a problem. The problem instead turns out to be Monika - Ralf has managed to wake her up, and she's sitting upright in her bed. Staring at Ralf with tears slowly streaming down her face as undoubtedly many more are being held back. This room is not what you'd call brightly lit, but it's not dark either. And Monika hearing you isn't a problem if she ends up able to see you.

The good news is that you noticed it in time for you to duck onto the ground to hide, even if you feel you scraped something in the process. No matter, you'll live, it's just a scratch. The really bad news is that you're kinda stuck here, as you don't think Mizuchi could make you invisible.

...Actually, speaking of Mizuchi...could that work? It works for snakes, why wouldn't it work for you? Should be quieter than crawling, if your footsteps were loud before surely sneaking with zero limbs will make less noise than using twice as many as before. That makes sense, so sure. Time to get your sneake-ing on!

"E-eh, uhm...eh," you hear Ralf nervously sputter out as you are left to ponder whether your pun is more painful than your stupid idea. You're committed, though, it seems to work so you're sticking with it. Why, oh why, did he have to sit down between Monika and the door? This would have been so much easier if he just sat down on the other side of the bed and directed Monika's gaze away from the door instead of towards it...

Monika, for her part, chokes and stumbles over her words as she tries to tell Ralf how she feels. It puts you in an awkward position because if she's looking down she's got a good view of the floor - and you, in turn - whereas if she's staring at Ralf's face she'll have a good view of the door.

As you start to seriously ponder whether you're going to have to hide underneath the bed until she falls asleep again, gods know what Tulia and Becker will end up doing before that happens, Monika (eventually) manages to get her feelings for Ralf out. Afterwards she quietly asks Ralf how he feels about her. Maybe he could distract her? Mizuchi can whisper into his ear, could you possibly signal her to help you? "Ah, e-eh, I, uh," Ralf continues to awkwardly sputter out in the meantime. He's not going to be of any use, you need to figure out a way to signal Mizuchi. "I-I, eh, I don't know. I really don't know how I feel about you."

Your entire thought process, indeed your entire body up to an including that now probably worse than it started out as scrape, comes to an abrupt halt upon hearing that. What, in the name of every god out there, is that idiot kid thinking!? Yes, awkward new feelings you don't know what to do with, been there done that. You don't say that right to the face of someone who just confessed her love to you in a situation like this! You're here on the floor making an absolute buffoon of yourself and you're still being defeated at every possibly turn! How is this happening!?

Monika falls eerily silent bar her occasional sobbing. You don't even want to imagine what her face looks like right now. "Monika, please, close your eyes," Ralf suddenly asks. That's good news for you and all, right now you're more worried about what Ralf is going to do for his sake. Especially because you can't exactly hear whether Monika closes her eyes or not, so it's hard to gauge whether you've got an opportunity to slip out or not.

Suddenly one of Monika's sobs is interrupted. Shortly after the sound returns, different this time, and faster. You nervously eye the door and wonder if this is your chance, but with that scrape you feel you're going to need an extra second to get up if you don't want to tear it open even more, and you'd really rather not. Frustrating, but what else are you supposed to do? Of course you really don't fancy interrupting those two and having to explain yourself afterwards either. You need to figure out how to signal Mizuchi, that or hide and wait for Monika to fall asleep. Needless to say one of those options sounds much better.

Less than half a minute later Monika's sobbing returns to what it sounded like before. You definitely made the right call, that was not long enough to make sure you slip out quietly even if you hadn't injured yourself. Seconds after that and Monika starts crying her eyes out, though shortly after it sounds muffled. Ralf pulled her into his arms? Must be, right? Than Surely you will get your opportunity soon. Surely. You have to...

"That's how I feel about you," Ralf quietly says to the girl crying out in his arms. You eye the door again, but you're just not sure. Actually, what about Mizuchi? Maybe those two are distracted enough to give her a signal? You'd really like some help right about now.

While Ralf awkwardly starts to explain his feelings, and Monika helpfully points out to the slightly dense kid that what he's feeling is love, you dare to exit your hiding spot enough to get a better look. Mizuchi is on Ralf's shoulder, and thankfully notices you pretty quickly. "Why are you still here?," she whispers into your ear, using her dramatic voice. You frantically gesture between Ralf's back and the door, the fact that Monika might see you, as well as where you injured yourself a moment ago. Fortunately Mizuchi understands the important points at least. "The other side of the bed...curses. That was my mistake," Mizuchi whispers. Thank the heavens she believes you, you've had enough nonsense for one day. "I'll tell Ralf to hold Monika, and prepare a Glamour. Get ready."

Oh great, you might have to just bite your tongue. Fine, anything if it gets you out of this room unnoticed. You can see Ralf move his head towards Mizuchi slightly when she whispers her "suggestion". Ralf nods, and moves one of his arms. That's your cue. You forcefully stand up, indeed feeling like you're tearing something, and biting back the pain while the two love birds are distracted with each other and under Mizuchi's Glamour - gods would it be nice to be one of those two right about now, but you suppose everyone has their off days - finally you manage to slip through the door and get out. Sweet freedom at least!

"What took you so long!?" Tulia immediately shouts the moment you close the door behind you. That thing isn't soundproof, so you're glad Mizuchi prepared a Glamour. You're just not sure how strong that Glamour is.

"Right after Becker left Monika got up and sat down to face Ralf. Not easy sneaking out when she's staring right at the door in front of her," you explain. Really, you're just relieved you managed to get yourself out of there. That would have been too awkward otherwise.

Tulia stares curiously at you for a moment, than finally notices the fact you're injured - probably because you're forced to the ground by it. "H-hey, are you alright?" she asks, and you explain you managed to scrape yourself ducking to the ground too quickly. At least you didn't make a racket doing so, but you feel your skin is not happy right now. "Probably best to have one of the nurses look at it if it's that bad. I did study Revision, but..." Tulia examines your robe near the injury, and finds a non-zero amount of blood having seeped into the fabric. "Yeah, this should get probably cleaned out before I try to fix the torn skin at least. Come on, grab my shoulder. You can hop around on one leg for a bit."

What was it you said about it not being your day, or something? Oh, never mind. So long as the nurse doesn't ask how you injured yourself within the Infirmary you'll just count what blessings you got and move on.

"Alright, keep steady. So, about Monika, what do we do? I guess we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise? I'm just saying, it's going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family only to find out someone already wrote that down in her memoirs."

You stare at Tulia, not hiding how tired you are of your little misadventure. She lets out a sigh and looks around for the nearest nurse, while you to address Becker. "She'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point, worst case," you drily remark. Seriously, what a story of how they first confessed their feelings for each other - and they don't even know the surprise plot twist! You don't even want to imagine what they first kiss is going to be like...actually, thinking about it, Ralf probably did kiss her there. Good. He really needed a saving grace after that spectacular blunder. Now if only you could do the same...

"Oh, there's a nurse," Tulia says, and immediately what little confidence you had seems like it escapes through the floor. Becker, for her part, is quietly staring off into space, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later.

But first, washing a recent scrape you tore further open once of not twice. Joy...

-Glamour. You can mask your own steps, thanks.
--"I'm not professor either, but I know my Glamour," you quietly say as you take out your wand. A bit of spellcasting later and the peanut gallery of cosplaying convicts are ready to make a stealthy exit. You even tap a foot against the floor to prove your point - no sound that you can hear.

"Think you can silence the door as well?" Tulia asks. Good thinking on her part, you nod and careful cast a silencing charm on the hinges and handle. The rest of the door you leave alone, knowing it already has a Glamour cast on it that makes it look like the door in Monika's dorm room, and you know full well that if push came to shove it's your spell that's going to get pushed. And shoved out the nearest window.

"Uh...c-could one of you two go first?" Becker asks, understandably uncomfortable in this situation. Mizuchi, for her part, tells Ralf not to keep his "princess" waiting. Surprisingly no objection to that term this time, Ralf is just plain shaking. Shaking towards Monika, admittedly, but shaking all the same.

"I'll go first," Tulia offers, and indeed she casually tip-toes to the door, silently opens it, and slips out. You nod at Becker, and while not trying to copy Tulia's tip-toe movement she does nervously shuffle over to the door and, as best she can, slips through. You just walk out normally, knowing full well your spell is silencing whatever noise your feet are making regardless.

"So, what now?" Tulia asks the moment you close the door behind you. "I guess we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise, but...we kind of already know? It's, eh, going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family, only to find out they already know, don't you think?"

You cast a quick glance at the door, and mentally point out to yourself that you only silenced the hinges and handle, not made it soundproof. Consequently you can briefly hear the sound of Monika's sobbing, before the sound suddenly gets muffled, and falls silent again. "I suspect she'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point too," you drily remark. "So, shall we get out of here before the lack of soundproof door becomes our undoing?"

"Uh...yeah. Let's do that," Tulia quietly confirms. Becker, for her part, is still eerily quiet, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later...

--"I know how to cast some magic," you quietly say as you take out your wand. A bit of spellcasting later and the peanut gallery of cosplaying convicts are ready to make a stealthy exit. You even tap a foot against the floor to prove your point - delightful silence to your ears.

"Is that...intended?" Tulia curiously asks, and you raise an eyebrow. Yes, your footsteps are not making audible sounds, that is intended. What's so weird about that? "Guess we'll make due. Alright, who wants to go first?"

"Uh...c-could one of you two go first?" Becker asks, understandably uncomfortable in this situation. Mizuchi, for her part, tells Ralf not to keep his "princess" waiting. Surprisingly no objection to that term this time, Ralf is just plain shaking. Shaking towards Monika, admittedly, but shaking all the same.

"I'll go first," Tulia offers, and indeed she slowly sneaks up to the door, very carefully opens it, and slips out. Zero trust in your spellcasting, huh? Alright, fine. You see how it is. Ask for help and this is thanks you get. Great. You stare at Becker, and while not trying to copy Tulia's tip-toe movement she does nervously shuffle over to the door and, as best she can, slips through. You just walk out normally, knowing full well your spell is silencing whatever noise your feet are making regardless. Rank amateurs unable to cast their own spells, seriously...

"So, what now?" Tulia asks the moment you close the door behind you. It sounds a bit louder than you wanted it to in your ears, hopefully Monika didn't notice it. "Are you going to need help with a Negation, or do you want to just ask one of the nurses? Given we're already in the Infirmary and all," she asks, pointing somewhere towards your lower body.

Genuinely confused as to what Tulia is talking about you look down, and are surprised to see that your legs are no longer there. They just kind of...fade out above your knees. Ah...hah. You may have gotten a bit mixed up, but your spell worked, so there's nothing to complain about now is there?

You take out your wand again and insist that you'll have this fixed up on no time, asking Tulia what else she clearly wants to say. "Right, so: Do we just wait for Monika to recover and do as Mizuchi made her promise? We kind of already know, don't we? It's, eh, going to be a touch awkward when Monika works up the courage to break the silence with her family, only to find out they already know, don't you think?"

"I suspect she'll have plenty of new stuff to say by that point too," you drily remark as you continue to fail to fix your missing legs. Seriously, this should not be this hard. "Anyway, shall we get out of here before the lack of soundproof door becomes our undoing?"

"Uh...yeah. Let's do that," Tulia quietly confirms. Becker, for her part, is still eerily quiet, but not much you can do about that. You'll just have to give those two their space, as Mizuchi suggested, and hear about what happened from Tulia sometime later. "Seriously, do you need a hand? You know the private Infirmary rooms are Glamoured to look like student dorm rooms, right? It looks like your spell ended up getting mixed up by it, turning your legs invisible, and now you can't dispel it."

Your kingdom to be living in a reality where Tulia would have used that brilliant knowledge of hers to cast those Glamours herself. Truly, her genius is matched only by her lack of flawless timing. "Just...lead Becker back to the entrance while I see if I can dispel this before one of the nurses here does it for me, please. I swear this should work."

Tulia nods, and after trying to cheat at your own self imposed challenge by trying to hide from the nurses before one spots you - hey, if you're going to be partially invisible might as well get your money's worth out of it - you do end up getting spotted and questioned before you're able to dispel the weird magic gone wrong yourself.

You are, to say the least, not feeling very happy with your life right now. Especially after seeing (and hiding from) Ralf leaving Monika's private room, one finger checking his lips for whatever he thought he'd find on them and a hand held against his heart as if it was going to escape his body, as he walked off like he was floating on clouds. That kid definitely did more than just lend Monika an ear and a shoulder. Looks like he poured out some of his own feelings as well, and evidently Monika reciprocated. Sometimes it just is not your day, you suppose...

Could not even imagine how a "proper" failure would play out, so just went with the PC injuring themselves as a penalty instead. Should work just fine, especially because - as you might be able to tell - someone was having a bit too much fun with the options again ;).

And since it's done (albeit in a separate post, because editing these can feel dicey when there's too many stages in one post) Heart Matters, stage 10:

Spoiler

Another day you're walking through the Durand Common Room, only this time Tulia Faspalla ends up calling you over the moment she sees you walk in. No points for guessing what this is about, you suspect.

"Let me guess: Monika?" you say as you sit down. Tulia actually frowns.

"Good day to you too, [PC FIRST NAME]. That said, yes, this is about Monika. She's recovered from her fever, mostly. The Infirmary nurses are still refusing to let her leave for a few days, but all the same she's gotten into contact with Becker and started talking to her family. Becker...honesty she was a bit of low hanging fruit in that regard, she already knew about Monika's tangled feelings and even we know why she wants to help her with that, but still. It's a step in the right direction for her. For both of them, really."

"Yeah. I heard rumors that Becker suddenly changed a few tunes over at the Forum of Naxum, and I actually sat in on another debate of hers to check it out for myself. I can confirm, she's taken the lesson of kids needing to feel loved to heart. She is still arguing for her profession and all of that, pushing her field into formal academia and open up the idea of public study and scrutiny. But now more as a way to establish a platform for people to share and record ideas, establish and expand our knowledge base. Not as a way for old academia to establish a kind of parent watch so people won't make the same mistake Becker did, or at least won't get away with it cleanly if they do."

"Did opinions of Becker's ideas change as well?" Tulia asks. You shrug and explain you don't really have a clear idea about that. Based on your second visit to the Forum people do seem more receptive to the idea of having a formal platform to meet up and share knowledge, rather than academics from an obscure field of study (of, potentially, dubious reputation and respect) dictating answers only few philosophers know the origin of. Nevertheless Becker is still arguing for establishing a formal curriculum, and for said curriculum to be publicly taught where possible, but that idea doesn't seem likely to get off the ground. Really, the only relevant question for you is whether any of that is going to end up showing results within a period of your life it'll be relevant to you. And given that that's still quite a few years of magic study away you're none too worried about it now. "Impressive. You've been doing your homework, I see."

"Y-yeah, well, I was curious. And it gave me a chance to see Becker again, to give her a chance to talk to me about Monika. How she asked me to help figure her out, and all of that."

"Well, you definitely succeeded there. I heard Professor Briardi awarded Durand some Merit for that, in fact," Tulia says with a hint of pride. And yeah, the regent did, but it's hard to really feel too happy knowing that for Becker and Monika both this mess is far from over. "True, and it's good that you bring it up, because that's actually what I wanted to ask you about. Monika told Becker how she feels, but Becker still can't get through to her. Apparently Monika feels like it hurts when Becker tries, which just ends up pushing her into Ralf's arms again. Ralf couldn't bring himself to tell her to keep trying, despite agreeing nothing good will come from Monika ignoring the problem, so Mizuchi suggested asking if anyone knows of a way to better help Monika. 'Something needs to be done, but it needn't be a first resort' I believe is how she put it. She asked me about it, and now..." Tulia shrugs. "Now, seeing as how I don't have any confidence in my ideas, I'm asking you about it."

Someone who could help Monika with her emotions, huh? Well. Who could you talk to that about?

[PC has Master's Mark]-"Do you know anyone" she asks the Synchronicity student...
--You pointedly stare at Tulia for a second, and she quickly explains that obviously she did think of you, but she doesn't know who your teachers are and she has a feeling you won't be able to help out Monika yourself. If not for a lack of skill than for a lack of time, because to her it seems like Monika will require careful attention for a while.

You can't deny Tulia is right. You're no expert yourself yet, but even you can tell Monika will require months if not years of attention to fully recover from her...actually, wait, that's assuming a condition that doesn't otherwise change. The rest of Monika's family still haven't gotten a chance to see and respond to how she feels, did they? Only Becker did, though did she inform her relatives? Even if she did Monika certainly hasn't talked to them in person yet...either way, it sounds like this could still get complicated. In that case you can't even guess. Monika might genuinely graduate before her emotions fully stabilize, and even than, who knows what kind of normal she ends up settling into.

Regardless, you do know who your teachers are - obviously - and you can definitely ask them about what they'd be able to do for Monika, or ask Monika about how she feels about seeing them. Either is fine with you, so you ask Tulia what she thinks. "So, forgive me if this sounds silly, but I actually think the best course would be you talking to your teachers with Mizuchi tagging along. Monika really trusts that Familiar, she's your best bet to convince Monika - if you can convince her at least - and I'm sure Ralf won't mind his Familiar tagging along with you if it's to help Monika."

"Sounds like a plan. Do you want to tag along as well, or was one Infirmary incident enough?" you ask with a coy smile. Tulia, looking less amused than you do, assures you that she'll just request a pamphlet if she's ever in need of more information.

For your part you make your way to the Hedi Common Room to find Ralf. He indeed doesn't take any convincing to let you borrow Mizuchi for a bit, although Mizuchi herself seems more hesitant. Nevertheless she agrees to go with you, as she promised to do all she could to help Monika.

Out in Mineta, on the way to Gressel's Medications, Mizuchi finds the chance to air her concerns. "The magic you wield...worries me," she admits. "I've no doubt that you use it to good ends, and I've no doubt that for Monika it is the best hope she has at recovering well enough to live a normal life. Half measures will not help her, I can see that. But as the family physician likes to say, I am concerned about wielding a scalpel that is too sharp." You actually nod at that. You know how impactful it can be, on those who experience it as much as on those who use it. "You are not afraid of the dangers?"

"Of course I am. I'm just even more afraid of the alternative," you answer. "I'd rather risk cutting myself with a scalpel that is too sharp than knowing I'm not able to do anything."

"A dangerous sentiment. Noble too, of course, but take care it doesn't consume you. A broken hand can lift no weight, after all. That is another thing the physician likes to say."

True. You're not too worried about yourself, though. You're worried about Monika. Obviously there's nothing more you can do to help her, but still. Monika's emotions, her family, Ralf getting tangled up in it all....it's a lot for one girl to face. Fortunately she's not alone. You just hope she won't...actually...

"Hey, Mizuchi? Do you happen to know what 'mistake' Monika's parents made, by chance?" Rather than answering your question Mizuchi instead asks why you ask. Fair enough. "I just realized, I don't actually know what that is all about. I figured out it was a big family drama of some description, but I never learned the details."

"Do you-or, rather, do your teachers need to know?" Mizuchi asks.

"If they do they can just ask Monika about it-or Becker, even. I don't need to be the one to tell them. I'm just curious. Though I'm guessing that even if you know you're not comfortable gossiping about it?"

"Correct. Though, for the record, I don't know the full answer myself either. I can imagine more than one possible answer, but especially with the state that Monika is in I am not inclined to guess or pry needlessly. Or gossip, for that matter."

Fair enough. Maybe you can ask Tulia about it later, though you're kinda doubtful she knows either. Well, it doesn't really matter. So long as Monika is able to enjoy a normal life after all is said and done, with or without the mistakes people tend to make along the way, everything will be alright.

[PC does not have Master's Mark, is informed of Gressel's Medications]-There's the apothecary near the Admiratio Monika could try.
--You ask Tulia if she's heard about the apothecary near the Admiratio. She shakes her head, so you explain roughly where it is and how some students use it as an alternative to the official Infirmary. Very useful if you end up injured or with an illness catching up to you far from the Academagia, but that's not the only thing the staff there does. They also practice a kind of mental magic, legally distinct from Mastery. They're mainly known (or infamous, depending on who asks) for using it to help people against phobias and other deeply held fears, but you know that's not the full extent of it. Perhaps they'll be able to help Monika as well.

"Okay, so pardon my Merilien, but l'excuse me?" is Tulia's response. Honestly? About what you expected. That apothecary is many things, but it sure isn't a conversational ice breaker. "I mean, alright, if you think they're worth checking out I can...actually, better idea: Since you know the place, could you take Mizuchi there and talk to the staff about whether they can help Monika? And if not, whether they know someone who can?" You ask Tulia if she really doesn't want to come along, and she answers that she doesn't want another Infirmary incident where she feels like an awkward third wheel. Honestly? Fair enough. More seriously, than, you ask why she's suggesting bringing Mizuchi along. "Like I said, Monika is still really cagey. Ralf can comfort her, but Mizuchi can actually get through to her. She really trusts that Familiar. If anyone I'm sure she'll convince Monika, assuming you can convince her of course."

True, that is a good point. You'll have to ask Ralf to borrow his Familiar for a bit, but you're sure he won't mind doing so for Monika's sake. You tell Tulia you'll try that, and head off to the Hedi Common Room. Ralf, as expected, doesn't take any convincing to let you borrow Mizuchi for a bit. Mizuchi herself seems more hesitant, but she nevertheless agrees to go with you, as she did promise to do all she could to help Monika.

The journey through Mineta is short and oddly quiet. You expected Mizuchi to be more of an outgoing talker on this sort of trip, but instead she stays silently in place on your arm and shoulder. It does make your life easier, but honestly, it also makes you feel a touch nervous. You have no idea what that Familiar is thinking. At least you're confident she won't turn aggressive or anything.

You step into Gressel's Medications, Mizuchi actually lifting herself up as you step in, and see Nhordum standing behind the counter. Perfect, just the one you want to talk to. "Hello Nhordum, do you have a moment? I-we, rather, would like to ask a few questions about your job. Uh, not the apothecary job, the-you know what I mean. Your other job."

The conversation already getting started on a great note aside, Nhordum calmly nods. "I can ask Lotus to watch the shop, yes. That said, 'we' meaning you and the Familiar, I'm assuming?"

"Yes," Mizuchi answers. Nhordum briefly seems confused by the Glamour voice, but only briefly. "I am Mizuchi, Familiar of Ralf von Freibeuter, here on behalf of...a friend of Ralf. A friend who needs help with her emotions. Badly."

Nhordum nods, but you actually frown. Freibeuter? Somewhere in the back of your head that name rings a bell. "Alright. I'll ask Lotus to watch the shop for a moment, we can talk further in the living room."

Mizuchi mentions to you that she'd like to take point in the conversation, which you're more than happy to let her do. You're just stuck trying to remember where you heard that name before. Freibeuter, Freibeuter...perhaps a cup of tea will help.

In the living room Mizuchi indeed takes point, and ends up having a fairly lengthy discussion with Nhordum about Monika. Unfortunately you get no closer to remembering that name in the meantime. The cup of tea is nice and refreshing, though. "I can't say for sure without examining her, let me make that clear. But it sounds to me like Monika could be in far worse shape than even she might realize," Nhordum eventually concludes. That does not sound like good news is coming. "It sounds like she is correctly interpreting and expressing her emotions to her caretaker - the pain she feels from her growing up feeling emotionally neglected, followed by confirmation that she truly is someone her family never wanted. That, considering the circumstances, seems perfectly natural."

You know Becker, politely, "tried her best" when it comes to raising Monika, but still. Hearing people say it out loud like that is something you don't think you'll get used to. "I cannot deny it does. Yet something seems amiss with the emotions she feels," Mizuchi insists. "Monika herself says as much. I have not gotten the impression that she is ignorant of how her heart works, merely that she can find it difficult to express her feelings to others."

Nhordum actually nods. "My theory is that she buried her emotions. How she feels about her family, herself, everything locked and sealed away. When those emotions get dug up Monika experiences feelings she's not felt in many years, possibly remembers things she's not thought about for a very long time. That in and of itself can be distressing enough, and is probably the reason why she cannot talk to her caretaker for long. And needs a friend's arms to calm herself down afterwards. But there's an even bigger worry in play. When all is said and done, how will Monika feel about her family? Do you think she can forgive them, for everything she feels they've done and put her through?"

That is an uncomfortable question neither Mizuchi or you have an answer to. "What if she cannot?" Mizuchi asks. She clearly doesn't want to, but she knows she needs to ask that question.

"Than we must assume Monika is sitting on close to a decade of buried negative emotions and associated painful memories. Depending on how bad her condition is there is a chance even I could not hope to guess how Monika truly feels about her parents right now," Nhordum admits. "I trust I don't have to explain how that could end up creating a bad scene, if those emotions end up slipping their leash and Monika has no ability to control that part of herself. That is something she can be taught, thankfully, and it is something I - or perhaps Leene - can try to teach her. Regardless, if her condition is as bas as I theorize...the good news is that you have come to the right place to find her help. The bad news is that she will need it. And a lot of it."

"You say you can help her. What, exactly, would that entail?" Mizuchi asks. Nhordum explains that, once per week, he (or Leene, depending on who Monika would prefer) can dive into Monika's mind and help her slowly unearth her emotions in a controlled environment, where either of them will be able to protect Monika against her own emotions should one go haywire. In the process they can also directly help Monika learn how to interpret, express, and hopefully control her own emotions. As well as making sure that she doesn't feel uncomfortable with herself, physically or emotionally. "Those are...very lofty promises. Even for a spellcaster," Mizuchi says at the end, not hiding her doubt. Nhordum doesn't seem to mind, either. "Further, I must ask: What is stopping this magic you wield from changing Monika's emotions, her memories, or even her personality to whatever arbitrary state you wish?"

"The simple fact that our magic doesn't work that way," Nhordum plainly answers. "We cannot do any more, or less, than what our patients want us to do. We do not Master, we Synchronize. We use our expertise to help our patients with what they want us to do, what they would do themselves if they were able to, and content ourselves with the knowledge that we cannot - should not - do more. I can't confirm Monika will take to our techniques, or whether and how it might cause her to change, if she does. All I can confirm is that if she does than it is because that is who she truly was, or who she wanted to become, from the start. She simply wasn't aware of it, refused to admit it, didn't understand it, or couldn't believe it...you'd be surprised how difficult it can be for people to understand who they, themselves, are. Let stand admit it."

"Hmm...if Monika were to take to your techniques, how long will it take for her to fully recover? Can you give a rough estimate?" Mizuchi slowly asks. She sounds conflicted. Nhordum, for his part, nods and explains that he can only say it'll likely take in the order of years, assuming that Monika is kept relatively isolated from any external factors that could trigger (and weak havoc with) her buried emotions early. At that Mizuchi's internal debate falls silent. "K-kept isolated? From external factors?" she repeats. Nhordum nods again. "I've honor bound the girl to discuss the matter with her family. Show them how she truly feels, so they could either embrace her or refuse her. The silent stalemate between her and her family, neither side communicating and Monika receiving no attention or affection from a family that didn't know she needed it, seemed to be killing her inside. Are you suggesting that was an error?"

"Premature, but not an error," Nhordum corrects. "Broadly speaking, what I would suggest is for Monika to be kept isolated until she's had enough sessions to figure out how she feels about her family. If her emotional state is such that she wants to cut all ties, continue on with her treatment. Recall that process will span years, so she will have time to change her mind. If she never does, than so be it. That is how she feels, and I cannot influence that. If she does wish to confront her family, make sure she has had practice with controlling her emotions first. Ideally, though this might sound strange to say, has experienced emotional outbursts before so she has genuine experience with them. There is every chance that something will be said or done during that meeting which could cause an emotional outburst - if Monika cannot notice and control herself that could turn into a very ugly scene, very quickly. How her family responds will determine what happens from there, what treatment she'll need going forward and how the rest of her memories and emotions need to be addressed. Obviously we will discuss that with her, though. And her caretaker as well, seeing as how her parents are unavailable."

Mizuchi, after a silent moment, slowly nods. "I told miss Becker-Monika's caretaker, excuse me, that Monika's condition was worse than she thought. That half measures would not be sufficient to aid her, and that claiming otherwise would be falling into the same denial that was her undoing so long ago. I was not expecting to encounter something like this," she explains. "Nhordum, you have my thanks and my pleasure for our discussion and your hospitality, but please understand that my word means everything to me. I cannot tell Monika that your assistance is something she should pursue until and unless I am convinced that it is. I will get in contact with Monika's caretaker and send her your way. She knows more about these things than I do. If she can be convinced that this is in Monika's best interest, I swear I will do my best to convince her to come here and discuss her situation in person, as best she can. I'm afraid I cannot promise more than that."

Nhordum accepts Mizuchi's ultimatum - or compromise? - pretty readily considering it's Ralf's snake Familiar saying all of that. Still, that is your part done, so you say goodbye to Nhordum yourself and thank him for the tea. Mizuchi heads off to inform Becker right away, promising that he will be alright on his own.

You're sure he will be. You're just hoping that, after all is said and done, Monika - as well as the people she cares about - also will be.

-The Legate is sure to know someone who can help.
--The Legate might be most famous (or infamous) among the student body for running out on his office work, but the man is nevertheless an accomplished spellcaster with a sizeable pool of contacts and even larger pool of potential contacts. You doubt he could find the time to help Monika personally, but if anyone is likely to know someone who could help her, you'd go with him. You ask Tulia what she thinks of the idea, and of course she nods. "I did consider asking the Legate, assuming I could actually find him. I'm just worried about...you know, what kind of magic do you think could help Monika? I'm sure if anyone the Legate will have heard about it, whatever it is, but what is it? Do we even want to know?"

"If we don't than I can't imagine Monika would dare to try it," you point out. Tulia nods, though slowly. She still seems hesitant. You ask, but she explains she really doesn't feel like tagging along - one infirmary incident where she felt like a third wheel was enough to fill her quota for the year, and preferably at least several more of them. Tulia does mention that, in terms of things Monika would dare to try, that'll likely depend on Mizuchi. Monika really trusts that Familiar, so despite the attention and affection Ralf has been giving her it's actually his Familiar that's best able to really get through to her. "Alright, sounds like I'll be hunting down the Legate. Actually, do you think I should ask Ralf to borrow Mizuchi for a bit? If she's the one that's going to convince Monika, ultimately, sounds like she should hear what the Legate has to say. And who knows how easy he'll be to find on any given day."

"Sounds like a good idea, and it couldn't hurt to ask. I can't imagine Ralf will object if it's to help Monika," Tulia notes, so sounds like you're off to the Hedi Common Room first.

It, ultimately, takes more effort to find Ralf than it takes to convince him to let you borrow Mizuchi for a bit. And considering both were reading a textbook in Hedi's Common Room that was not the most challenging search you have ever encountered. Mizuchi, for her part, is more hesitant to follow someone she doesn't know too well. But, as she promised to do what she can to help Monika, does agree to come along after you explain your plan to track down and ask the Legate about whether he could point you in the direction of anyone who can help Monika.

Finding the Legate proves to be a bit of an obstacle. Several of the places you know to check have mysteriously been replaced with broom closets, and the next one in line has Miya Hikari annoyedly pacing back and forth outside the door. That...might be a good sign? You're not sure.

"Oh, hi there [PC FIRST NAME]," she says with all the cheer of a frustrated butcher chasing after an escaped meal. "I guess you're also looking for the Legate? Because I've spend the last-hello there." Miya's tone suddenly changes completely, which confuses you until you follow her gaze and see Mizuchi staring wearily at her. "Did you get yourself new Familiar, [PC FIRST NAME]? I haven't seen this one before."

"No," Mizuchi answers for you. Her Glamour voice startles and surprised Miya...which of course only makes her that much more interested. "We both have something to discuss with the Legate, that is all. Also, my name is Mizuchi."

Ordinarily Mizuchi's tone would clue people in that she's not interested in further conversation, but of course Miya finds it too interesting to notice. Or care. "Well, I'd wish you good luck with finding him, but as is so happens I need it more than you two. That said, you say you name is Mizuchi? I wasn't aware someone else from my homeland was attending the Academagia."

You quirk an eyebrow. If Ralf is from Miya's homeland he's done a very good job of hiding that fact...where is he from, anyway? Come to think of it you don't recall ever catching the boy's last name either...

"You...don't look Alesfan," Mizuchi points out, staring curiously at Miya. She laughs in response.

"Alesfa? 'Mizuchi' is a name from my homeland. You've never heard the story of the guardian spirits that watch over it's lakes?"

You personally haven't, but this is Miya you're talking about - you wouldn't give her better than coinflip odds of telling the truth whenever she mentions her homeland, or her bogus journey away from it. Great storyteller, terrible history professor unfortunately.

Mizuchi, for her part, stares long and hard at Miya's question. "I have heard folk tale of that nature, yes. However, the stories I heard originated from Alesfa. Are you saying the same story exists where you hail from?"

Miya nods, but before she can elaborate the sound of something landing on the ground reaches your years. Sounds like it's coming from inside the Legate's office - or broom closet collection, either/or. Still, if something fell over that suggests that someone is in there. "I knew he was hiding in there!" Miya says, grinning from ear to ear. "Only problem is that the door is locked, and of course he's not responding to my knocking either. [PC FIRST NAME], do you think you can you get that door open?"

You're not sure if you're willing to believe Miya normally lets herself be stopped by locked doors, but than this door isn't your average broom closet door either, in fairness. All the same you shrug and step in front of the door to give it a try yourself. First things first, hand on the handle, press down, and...it just opens.

Miya looks perplexed. You give her a slightly sheepish shrug and move to step into the room, curious to see if the Legate is actually here or if it's yet another broom closet. Turns out the Legate is actually here, muttering some unflattering things you'll just pretend you can't hear as he is using his wand to clean up an ink spill next to his desk. "Hmm? Oh, good afternoon [PC FIRST NAME]. And Mizuchi as well, I see. I take it both of you are here about Monika?" the man plainly asks. You're not going to lie, you weren't expecting the Legate to know about that already.

"You are already informed?" Mizuchi curiously asks. The Legate nods.

"Miss Becker, separately, asked Professor Piaxenza for assistance with Monika's...condition, as it were. The regent in turn approached me to discuss the potential severity, and viable treatment options. In short, people are worrying over Monika and her condition, and I know people to send her to for treatment even in the worst case. Finus is simply waiting for Monika herself to be available to discuss it, as I hear the infirmary staff are still holding her there for a few days."

Mildly annoyed you ended up searching for the Legate for no reason, but maybe there is something useful you can still tell him. "Is Professor Piaxenza planning on including Mizuchi in that conversation?" you ask the Legate, afterwards casting a glance and seeing Mizuchi has...done whatever snakes do given their lack of eyebrows to raise. The Legate, in turn, asks what Mizuchi has to add to that conversation. "In short, if Monika will need...convincing, than Mizuchi has the best chance to reach through to her. Better than Becker, better than Ralf even. She really trust her."

"For good reason, yes," Mizuchi pointedly tells you. You're getting the impression she doesn't approve of your gossip, even if you're trying to help Monika out, ultimately. Afterwards the Familiar turns to face the Legate. "What is this worst case treatment plan you have in mind? I've told Monika's caretaker that half measures will not be enough, and that believing otherwise would be repeating the denial she calls her greatest shame. I meant that sincerely. If possible I would like to investigate this option. Hopefully convince myself so that, in turn, I might be able to convince Monika."

"For better or worse, Finus had the same opinion. That is probably why that option was the only one we discussed in any great detail," the Legate explains as he creates a quick Glamour of Mineta's Admiratio, looked at from above. One particular building, within walking distance of the Admiratio proper, he circles with his wand. "That building is home to an apothecary operated by three Academagia graduates. Of course, there's more to the story - one of them is heir to a family that practices a legally distinct offshoot of Mastery. Their techniques, worst case, is what I suspect Monika will need to recover from her family's long running series of parental blunders. I'm sure that you can simply go there and talk to them, a talking snake Familiar should be nowhere close to unusual by their life's standards, but I would recommend bringing miss Becker with you. She will be the one who ends up fronting the costs of their services, not to mention I'm sure she'll have her own role to play in Monika's recovery."

That, eh...you have to say definitely doesn't sound like half measures. That sounds like Tulia had a good point about not wanting to know if it isn't, in fact.

"Very well, than I shall go inform Ralf. He wishes to wait until Monika has recovered before going with her to see his regent together, and he certainly has good reasons for that, but I do not believe in standing still in this situation. I cannot whisper into people's ears what I do not know, and I'm sure Monika will want - and need - to hear my voice before arrangements can be made."

"I'd be surprised if Finus thought differently. That said, if you don't mind having me tag along as well, I'd like to get away from the compulsive silly goose currently stalking my door. And mediating a meeting between one very guilt-riddled woman who doesn't know as much of the world as she believes, and the practitioners of an offshoot of Mastery who may prove to be her niece's best hope of recovery and living a normal life? That, frankly, seems a more meaningful use of my time than these cursed inventories Polisena insisted had to be overlooked by me personally. I've left behind enough well stocked broom closets to keep the staff happy, frankly. These records can be filed away later."

Mizuchi - after recovering from her surprise - shakes herself out of it and turns towards you. "I trust you understand that, escaping the fatigues of office work aside, miss Becker will much more readily listed to the Legate than she would listen to my advice," she asks, and you nod. Honestly you don't imagine Mizuchi having too hard a time with Becker on her own, but the Legate? Yeah, there's no contest between the two there. "Than forgive me for asking, but that 'compulsive silly goose' facing a distraction first would make our escape easier. So if you are willing to play that role..."

"I was curious about her origin for your name anyhow, and don't worry. I won't take what she says at face value."

Mizuchi, with a smirk, nods and follows the Legate through a secret escape route while you slip back out the door. Miya of course realizes you didn't stand inside an empty broom closet practising your ventriloquism skills for several minutes, but you're able to get her to start taking about her children's folk tale story that Mizuchi apparently got her name from. In short, "Mizuchi" is the name of a magic guardian snake who watches over a lake of some sort. One of the snakes there isn't content with his lot, changes appearance, belatedly realizes swapping clothes doesn't swap the person wearing them, a pretty standard sort of story you can see parents tell their children as one of several valuable life lessons.

By the end Miya finally clues in that Mizuchi is no longer with you, and shortly afterwards she realizes she's been had. She's willing to call it a draw given you had to listen to her full story, and you're willing to let her believe that. After all, like Miya herself would certainly agree with, minor details like "truth" needn't always come between someone and a good story.

Speaking of stories, you just hope that Monika's will have a happy ending when all is said and done. Based on what the Legate says it sounds like she's got a long road ahead of her, but also people worrying over her condition and how she can be helped with it. So, all told, you feel like Monika - and Ralf, for that matter - will be able to overcome the obstacles Monika still has in front of her.

-Professor Piaxenza seems likely to have some good advice.
--The Hedi regent is famous for his ability to mediate issues brought to him by both students and parents alike, and any form of magical assistance that Monika could be given is likely to come in the form of Glamour. Which, again, directly points to Professor Piaxenza. You ask Tulia what she thinks, and she nods. "I was thinking about him, and I'm sure if anyone could bring Ralf on board with an idea - Mizuchi aside - it would probably be his regent. My only question is...what kind of magic could help Monika at all? And if not magic, than what? Do you think the regent has an answer to that?"

"One way to find out," you answer with a shrug. Tulia nods, tough she declines your offer to tag along - apparently one infirmary incident where she felt like a third wheel was enough, and you can't fault her for that. Instead Tulia mentions that you should point out to the regent he needs to include Mizuchi in any talks he has with Monika. She is still really cagey, and while Ralf can comfort her, he can't actually get through to her too well. Not as well as Mizuchi. Apparently Monika really trusts that Familiar. "Noted. Than, if there's nothing more, I'll be-actually, wait, hasn't Ralf already talked to Professor Piaxenza about Monika? Surely his regent is the first person he'd talk to if Mizuchi suggested finding people who could help Monika and all."

"He actually hasn't yet. Mizuchi told me Ralf is planning on waiting until Monika is out of the Infirmary, and seeing Professor Piaxenza together. It's honestly not a bad idea. The regent is going to have to talk to Monika directly, and after she recovers from her lingering fever seems like a good time. But I was thinking it might be good if someone informed the regent early. Give him time to prepare if he needs it. Also, not to go behind Ralf's back, but I do worry about Monika as well. So I'd like to know what the regent could do to help her." That all makes sense, but it begs one question you put before Tulia: Why not talk to the regent herself, in that case? Tulia's face drops in response. "Honestly? I'm scared. What if the regent can't help Monika? I don't want to imagine him breaking that news to Ralf, let stand Monika herself. And as her mentor, if that does end up being the case, I feel like I should be able to support her. Just...I don't know how."

Right. Well, you're not afraid of talking to the regent, so hopefully you can bring some good news to Tulia, as well as Ralf and Monika. You head off to the man's office, see what he has to say about this whole mess.

A few knocks on the regent's door, and you hear a voice inside telling you to come in. Professor Piaxenza is here, working his way through a pile of, you're guessing, student assignments. "Ah, good afternoon [PC FIRST NAME]. How can I be of assistance?"

You take a seat, knowing this could take a while. "In short, Mizuchi-ah, that would be the Familiar of Ralf...eh..." you start, only to trail off when you realize you don't actually know Ralf's last name. You don't think anyone mentioned it up to this point, and you didn't think to ask.

"Ralf von Freibeuter?" the regent fills in. You nod, although you also frown. Freibeuter? That name sounds vaguely familiar. "Yes, I am acquainted with his Familiar, and my own student as well of course. Did you have something you wanted to ask me about them?"

You shake your head and quickly summarize that Mizuchi saw the need for Monika to receive some kind of help in dealing with her emotions, and you've ended up asking him about it ahead of Ralf and Monika themselves. In part because Tulia is curious, but too scared to ask about it herself.

"Hmm...quite a complicated situation, but that is to be expected I suppose. Regardless, miss Becker has already approached me with the situation herself, and asked for help in getting through to Monika. I do know of a small group of Academagia graduates in Mineta who can offer her the guidance and emotional support she'll need, I am simply waiting for Monika to be released from the infirmary so I can speak to her about it in person. Or, rather, speak to Monika and miss Becker together about it." You inform the regent about what Tulia told you to mention, that Monika really trusts Mizuchi. You also, noticeably less comfortably, mention that Becker might not have mentioned it's genuinely painful for Monika to communicate with her, at least as far as you've heard. So discussing the matter together might not be the best idea. The regent slowly nods. "I'll talk to Monika before scheduling that joint meeting, and if that proves untenable I'll arrange for a separate meeting with miss Becker at a later date. I am also aware of Monika's trust in Ralf's Familiar. I'm not sure if you're heard, but Mizuchi watched over Monika for a time, after a bullying incident that ended remarkably poorly for the bullies. If Mizuchi's assistance proves necessary - which, truthfully, I am expecting seeing the state of Monika's condition - I will get in contact and ask for her assistance."

Seems like Tulia really had nothing to worry about. That's what makes Professor Piaxenza famous for his diplomacy, though. Time to head back and tell her the good news. You're sure she'd like to hear it more than she admitted to.

Back at the Durand Common Room Tulia quickly proves you right. She lets out a bigger sigh of relief than even she was probably expecting. "Thank goodness, no bearers of bad news needing to tell an already pitiable girl her situation isn't likely to get better. Though, what's with the frown on your face? Worried about the long road Monika has ahead of her?"

"No, I just can't remember that name for the life of me. Freibeuter. Ralf von Freibeuter...where have I heard that last name before? I don't suppose you know anything about it?"

Tulia blinks. "Wait, hold on. Ralf's last name is actually Freibeuter?" she asks with a deadpan voice. You shrug, even more confused than you were a moment ago, and explain that is the name Professor Piaxenza mentioned. And you're reasonably confident he knows his own students, at least the ones who's Familiar he can name. "You have got to be pulling my leg. I heard rumors that the heir of the Freibeuter family, the first son of navy captain Holger von Freibeuter, was attending the Academagia. You're telling me that scrawny, awkward bookworm kid is him?"

You don't actually answer Tulia's question, because "captain Holger von Freibeuter" is a name you do recognize. He's the current head of a famous - or infamous, depending on who you ask - family based in Staade who has has a very long naval service record with that country. They straddle the line between mercenaries and privateers, hunting pirates or being pirates to Staade's enemies depending on whether times are peaceful or not. The family in general (and the man himself is certainly no exception as far as you've heard) is known for their relentless pursuits, at times bombastic enthusiasm of captain and crew, as well as their extensive collection of sea shanties. One composed by captain Freibeuter himself you actually heard in Alice's Tavern, though sadly not sang - a traveller from Alesfa who rode on captain Freibeuter's ship talked about it. It stuck in his mind because it was about an attractive bar maid drawing the unwanted attention from three rowdy sailors, who she ultimately tricked into settling their debate with a drinking contest. The next day, while they were thoroughly hung over, she slammed the three of them with their collective bill. And the dishes they had to clean in order to pay it off.

...It suddenly sinks in why Tulia described Ralf as a scrawny bookworm. Compared to captain Freibeuter, based on what you've heard, that is an accurate description even if it is unflattering. You have heard people talk about his heir attending the Academagia, but Ralf? Yeah, no. Would not have guessed that, not even a little bit.

And yet that is what Professor Piaxenza called him. You're sure that isn't a coincidence.

You spend a while gossiping with Tulia about captain Freibeuter, his family, and the (un)likelihood that Ralf is actually that man's first son. You do notice (midway through) that Monika's bleak situation was quickly forgotten, but that's because you both know she has some very good people willing and able to reach out to her. Hers will be a long road, but with people supporting her, hopefully one she will able to reach the end of...

The usual suite of "which attribute (or some other nebulous benefit) would you like?" options with some scattered background information spread among some or all of them, standard fare for my Y2 adventure (even at least some of my Y1 ones I think).