Black Chicken Studios Forums

Character creation: Boosting starting attributes vs Random magical skill levels

Von-Wulfen

Hi all. I am going to create another character, one that I can play as myself not just RP someone else.
Don't worry, Bellatrix Lestrange adventures are not finished, just put on hold for this character creation experiment :)

My name will be Victor Von Wulfen. I shall attend Durand College (Compulsory Classes: Botany, Negation, and Dialectic.)
My chosen classes shall be: Incantation, Revision ( But I am torn between Zoology and Glamor as my third choice).
In real life, I'm a bit of an amateur entomologist and botanist so I would like to take zoology but will Glamor be more useful to me? 
On my previous character I choose the same Collage and classes, the third free choice was zoology. 
As you can see its heavily magic based. 
On creating the previous character I choose options that added random skill levels to magical arts etc and only raised my base attribute by 1 intelligence point in another option that also gave random magical art skills during character creation.
I thought this would be a plan to get me off to a good start.

I have read a few guides and watched a few lets plays, and I notice Most of them use options during character creation to help raise base attributes far more than given random skill levels in the classes they take.
If I get it right, your base stats improve the speed and efficiency in learning and using skills that are associated with that attribute, like Intelligence for instance.

I am thinking of using this method of choosing options to boost my starting base attributes that synergize with the classes I have chosen to create my new student.
But I'm worried that if I lose all the random magical skills points from choices in my previous build will set me at a disadvantage in class.
Would it be easy enough to train or use an ability at the appropriate class or other location that gives a bonus skill points etc, to build up the magical skill points I would lose?

What say you, fellow students? Should I concentrate this time on boosting my primary attributes?

29 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

I always focus on raising insight to at least 5 before studying at the Venalicium so that my characters will receive maximum benefits from insight based research skill-step increases gained through studying at the Venalicium.

Many thanks for the tip. What is a good way to raise insight?

Take zoology as a course. This unlocks the insects subskill. Raise insects to 3. This gets you Student of the Drones, which unlocks planning. Raise planning to level 2 (in addition to any other bonuses). This unlocks Learning from Mistakes (permanent +1 to intelligence and insight). Others: Beacon of Begger's Corner trait (gained through succeeding on an insight/piety roll in the action Give Charity and Work, which is unlocked by a piety subskill level of 1 (in addition to bonuses) - this can easily be done through the action Pray at the Temple of Rostra), and researching War to level 2 (grants Understanding of Strategy (Permanent +1 to insight and other bonuses)). Finally, training Danger sense subskill to level 3 (in addition to any bonuses) grants trait Goose Bumps (Ability) (permanent +1 to Insight, +1 to Danger Sense).

11 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Take zoology as a course. This unlocks the insects subskill. Raise insects to 3. This gets you Student of the Drones, which unlocks planning. Raise planning to level 2 (in addition to any other bonuses). This unlocks Learning from Mistakes (permanent +1 to intelligence and insight). Others: Beacon of Begger's Corner trait (gained through succeeding on an insight/piety roll in the action Give Charity and Work, which is unlocked by a piety subskill level of 1 (in addition to bonuses) - this can easily be done through the action Pray at the Temple of Rostra), and researching War to level 2 (grants Understanding of Strategy (Permanent +1 to insight and other bonuses)). Finally, training Danger sense subskill to level 3 (in addition to any bonuses) grants trait Goose Bumps (Ability) (permanent +1 to Insight, +1 to Danger Sense).

Perfect I have already taken zoology. Many thanks :)

25 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Many thanks, dyrhet.

Are these adventures tied directly to attending zoology class, or are they random?

Or are they part of the adventure action?

All adventures are done through the adventure action. What dyrhet meant is that by having zoology as a class certain adventures are unlocked. For Zoology these are: Naming Beasts, The Chipmunk Problem and Splash. Never had Zoology as class, so can't tell you anything about the adventures themselves.

Apparently there is talk that in Y2 there will be more random events involving your actual classes, but I'm not sure even those are as involved affairs as adventures.

28 minutes ago, Marcus said:

All adventures are done through the adventure action. What dyrhet meant is that by having zoology as a class certain adventures are unlocked. For Zoology these are: Naming Beasts, The Chipmunk Problem and Splash. Never had Zoology as class, so can't tell you anything about the adventures themselves.

Apparently there is talk that in Y2 there will be more random events involving your actual classes, but I'm not sure even those are as involved affairs as adventures.

Many thanks. I did not know that classes where tied to unlocking adventures :)

Archived