Black Chicken Studios Forums

How to get the old Explore The Venalicium back?

Schwarzbart

Sorry If I am in a bad mode about this adventure chain but somehow this chain destroys the story of my char and the enjoiment of the game.

I personal find the forced start of the Ravenprix Adventure with Study at the Venalicium Library so anoying that I ask if there is a way to remove this adventureline for my game or at last remove the forced start?

Its not only the forced start its also that the second step immediatly starts after successing in the first step (eitquette roll) and the 2 exits of step 2 are skills I usualy only get toward the end of my games, brew and Incanation Methodes. If you dont have Incanation as your class skill its very hard to get Incanation Methodes and for brew you have to do Assist the Tonic Brewmaster where it is 1 of 4 skills you get at random. (Somthing I also dont have ready by week 2)

Also I find this adventure anoying from a other point ... who is this friend that you made within day 3 or 4 that you even complet distrust the Medical ability of one of the most renowned Academys of Magic :) ?

Where could he find a bether Medical help then in the Infirmary of the Academy?

And then a first year Student of Magic who not even can cast 1 Spell thinks he know the Medical things bether then some Person who do this as theyr job.

In General if it is about a Sick Friend I would start to search what kind of Sickness he has and what the meaning of the strange words the nurse used to describe the sickness are bevore I even start to think about a search for some kind of cure for him/here.

Schwarzbart;

I don't believe we plan to restore the old method of exploring the Venalicium Library, but what we may do is provide other ways to access it than the Adventure. We'll have to see.

As to distrusting the medical abilities of the Academagia Staff...well, I guess some children distrust authority, or want to get involved! We'll see about placing an alternative exit to the Adventure there, though. :)

Ahmm I think you got something wrong here I already got Study at the Venalicium Library after processing day 2 from my skills and then when I whant to use it the Adventure is forcestared and thas where my problem is and not so much in the adventure it self.

The other problem is where you forcestart it, I wouldent have such a Problem if it was Forcestarted at the Helpdesk but Study at the Venalicium Library is a action one whant to use as early as posible.

Still personal I would start to find out what kind of sickness he have and so probably would head to the Linguistic Section first to get the meaning of the words the nurse tells me even if I distrust here.

Also not giving a Student Name who is Sick to this Adventure kind of dont help, how about Oan got sick after you finished the Mentor quest, this would be complet different emotinal then it is now.

So get this in bevore One more meeting with Oan and replace the friend with Oan probably would help this adventure chain but I am not sure if the adventure is then trigerd early enough.

I think the Vanalicium Questline could even be placed bevore going to the Shop with your Mentor.

The bit thing I found immersion breaking about this adventure was that it took (for me) about three months to finish, due to having to get all the skills up. Adventures take terrifying amounts of time in the game.

The timeline in-adventure really makes it seem like it takes a week or two. Three months of the poor kid languishing in the infirmary? I would expect him to be scarred for life at that point, not to mention him being hopelessly behind in his studies, and possibly the Academagia getting sued.

I have this problem with a lot of the adventures. They seem fast-paced in the story, but then in terms of the overarching game, they take months'n'months. And I've only ever finished two adventure chains ever, because they're so hard and time-consuming.

89157Z;

True, unfortunately! Year 2 pacing will be better in this regard, but they still do take some time. That said, Adventure chains are intended to be very difficult, because this is how you can effect significant change in the game world. We've heard the request for lowered Difficulty (and thus more Adventure interaction), however, and we'll see what we can do. :)

Schwarzbart;

I think I see what you are requesting- it's forcestarted because of the Location, but I think we can adjust how the Adventure begins. Perhaps it won't be Location based? I'll discuss it with the team.

Thanks!

The bit thing I found immersion breaking about this adventure was that it took (for me) about three months to finish, due to having to get all the skills up. Adventures take terrifying amounts of time in the game.

I'm curious, have you found the event that takes place on

The Festival of Fools

, the one that has maybe 10 or so decision points in a row? If you have, what did you think?

I honestly love that holiday, but that is just me. I do find this adventure with the sick friend a bit.. off though. *shrug* After I had one of my characters complete it I just accept the adventure start as being a slight bonus and nothing more, a shame that I can't find those forbidden archives though, but it's... more fair this way I think. Before everyone, from gods to ants, could find the forbidden material on Gates and Mastery simply by taking the tour of the place... It does seem a bit irresponsible.

All in all I am not sure what to think at the moment, on one hand the adventure seems off compared to the others, but what we had before was simply too straitforward.

I found the holiday a nice change from the usual “To Be Continued...” adventure format. But I agree with Schwarzbert, it was a bit drawn out, especially for a forced event. Unusually easy as well, but maybe that was just my build.

I find myself wishing (again) that adventures would force-start the next adventure in the chain when you passed and exit when you fail. Would fit the Venalicium Library adventure like a glove.

By the way, is it just me or are the new DLC3 era adventures a bit longer then standard? They feel more self contained.

Woe;

These are a bit longer- we're trying various things out, writing-wise, to see what the play experience is like. It is possible to do what you suggest (force continue vs. drop out upon failure), but we felt that an episodic nature was more in line for these. Still, we're listening to all the feedback for Year 2. :)

Schwarzbart - If you don't have access to the mod tools, I wouldn't mind trying to cobble together a little mod that bypasses the Venalicium adventure chain for you. I say this because I kind of enjoyed the quest - even though it is a bit long (as in, too many parts for 'time' being so crucial in the game, and the Library being such a staple; the actual full quest writing I like).

Or, for an adventure form, perhaps an initial option after you find out your friend is sick? You ask what he has, go to the Venalicium to research it, and find that he is best served by being left under the care of the Academagia Staff. This, then, provides the Help Desk (plus maybe one relevant other Venalicium location) and the old 'Explore the Venalicium' ability. Just a thought.

Also, The Festival of Fools event was really fun, albeit very long. I enjoyed having an important/day-related event work like that - I wouldn't have wanted to have a "to be continued" anywhere in that quest, plus it wouldn't have been as closely tied to the day. I also wouldn't have wanted it to be shortened, as that would have taken away from how epic it felt/the immersion in being part of a "big" event. Not saying I would want all adventures to be like that - but I think in some places it can be fitting.

Since Legate/the devs actually listen to feedback (thank you), I'd like to second Woe's idea - option to continue with the adventure upon success, except in parts that obviously span multiple days. I am not sure of the limits of the game's systems, but possibly a mechanism where...say you continue through an adventure chain, but it gets to a point where it obviously would take more than just a "Morning" or "Evening," you have the option of "sacrificing" what you already had planned for the next section of the day to continue the adventure. I'm thinking more Year 2 there, but it is a thought.

-Tentabulis

Tentabulis;

We actually have the tools to do what you suggest now, the trouble is that in our beta many players complained about missing Adventures due to timing, etc. We opted to go a more episodic route, despite the immersion issue, for that reason.

In Year 2 we have some improvements we're looking at to the Adventure System as a whole- I think you all will enjoy them. :lol:

We actually have the tools to do what you suggest now, the trouble is that in our beta many players complained about missing Adventures due to timing, etc.

I guess the real problem is the lack of long term notice/reminder for event like the midterm and final does. So maybe a calendar that mark certain adventure will be available on that day or at least a prompt message that say there is an adventure named "xxxxx" happening only today!

Edit: Hmm...did I misread something?

Tentabulis, thanks for your offer but I play my curent game to the end and then maybe have a look how to edit this.

For the Forced Adventures/Hollidays with more then 1 step would it posible to have a decision screen that ask you if you whant to start this adventure now or later from the adventure list?

This decision could also be placed in Adventure chains at later steps if the player whant to continue right now or go back for now.

I am not sure about the balancing of this but it helps to give the player the info that there is some Adventure and also the ability to do adventures that apear to be in short follow up to be done in one day.

I'm curious, have you found the event that takes place on

The Festival of Fools

, the one that has maybe 10 or so decision points in a row? If you have, what did you think?

You're asking me, I think? I thought it was completely epic and enjoyed it tremendously.

My feelings may be distorted by the fact that I just happened to have all the skills needed for the event, and got through it entirely... I got lucky. I don't think I would've liked it very much if I'd happened upon it with less useful skills.

• 6 months later...

Archived