Black Chicken Studios Forums

A saying

Adrian

I was wondering if there was an English saying to match a Danish one conserning that just being close to the goal is never enough.

The Danish one I am thinking of is "Lige ved og næsten slår ingen mand af hesten" translating to "'Just about' and 'almost' does not strike the man off his horse"

It's not a particularly pretty translation, as I could not get the easy flow and rhyme to carry into English, but is there a similar one in English?

I can guess there are better forums to ask but I am quite taken with this one ;)

haha, sadly I don't think I can use that, but it is a pretty good saying regardless.

By the way, it's not unlikely that hand grenades exist in Elumia. After all the English word "grenade" has existed since the 1590s, and the 10th to 14th century Song Dynasty had gunpowder-filled spherical projectiles. Given gunpowder is well established to exist and the Devs have described the overall Elumian technology level as "on the cusp of an Industrial Revolution", Elumians could certainly have used hand grenades for centuries.

Ex;

You are entirely correct. Grenades are employed aboard ships and on the battlefield, although their use requires more skill and training, and (in the past) was not usually gunpowder related (magical concoctions having been deployed as grenades since the Empire.) These days, the lower cost and ease of use of gunpowder grenades are beginning to replace the weaponry of the grenadier regiments.

What came to me right away is "close,but no cigar" which isn't quite the same but carries the general sentiment. It also remindes my of something in Hebrew, a grade (as in school grades) which transletes to literally "almost enough". It's rather funny,since almost enough should equal not enough, but evidently it's one level higher, so people use it to refer to things between epic fail and competent. Basically 49% when 48% is failed. Is it a D in the american grading ssytem? And I went off topic. Shocking.

Um, basically, it's "tea to those dying of thirst" i.e. something that's a step in the right direction, but not quite right (it's catchier in hebrew). A response to solving a problem in a very narrow way (no one ever cleans the toilet of the base --> someone goes and pour some water on the floor and goes "problem solved!" and you go "great,hot tea to the wanderer in the desert" or something to that end) or when someone gives a treat-the-symptom-not-the-disease kinda respone ("we fight alot" "apologize/don't get mad" "oooh,great,that tea is just what this dehydrated person needed!"). Mostly an army thing - the IDF has its own language, ya know.

Archived