Black Chicken Studios Forums

How do you guys do it?

Andor

I bought Academagia several years ago. I've probably played a couple of dozen games.

Then I come on the boards and you guys are saying things like "Well, I think that was a pretty good play-through but my lowest stats are still below 50, and there are 2 students not in my clique. Plus I didn't finish 4 adventures!"

I exaggerate there, but only slightly. I understand that it's possible to plan routes through the game to get to those levels of accomplishment, but it requires encyclopedic knowledge of the games characters, places, spells, mechanics and adventures. And I don't even come close to having that even with all my play time. Hell, I still haven't managed to craft an item and I devoted 5 play-throughs to trying to figure that one out. So where do you guys get the data to plan this stuff out? Is there an handy excel sheet or a wikia I don't know about?

To be fair I'm not likely to sit down and spend 20 hours figuring out an entire run thorough in advance down to the last action the way some people seem to, but I'd like to actually see some of the plot related adventures through, and I don't even know which ones they are!

Cheers,

Andor

This Wikia, you mean? There's also the mod tools, of course, through generally the wiki is more convenient (if less complete).

EDIT: Oh, and just for the record, the main plot adventures are A Meeting in a Tavern (Captain), In Search of Rumors of Pirates (Pirates), A Reward For a Job Well Done (Illaro), Academagia Under Attack! (Triplets) and A Note From The Headmaster (Orsi). And the Just Going About Your Business follow-up if you ended up ticking off the Costers. I don't promise that the names are exactly correct, but they ought to be reasonably close.

Hell, I still haven't managed to craft an item

Don't worry in year 1 its not worth to craft a item unless its part of a adventure.

There some problems associated with crafting in year 1:

- You need to have the item first to be able to craft it as the other ways to get the recipe are broken in year 1 to my knowledge

- Find the materials even if they should be common is very problematic as the shop not restock during the complete game combined with the problem that they usually only have a quantity of 1 from each item they sell.

- The current 3 digit price upper limit make many items far to cheap compared to what it would cost to make them and how rare they are.

So be happy that you can get even Legendary items easier (and really cheap) compared to some common crafting materials in year 1 as the complete shop system will be overworked for year 2.

Also if you want to simulate that your char craft for money there was a action added in a DLC the allow you to craft for Academagia and they reward you with money depending on your skills.

Then I come on the boards and you guys are saying things like "Well, I think that was a pretty good play-through but my lowest stats are still below 50, and there are 2 students not in my clique. Plus I didn't finish 4 adventures!"

Bwahaha!! Yeah, I get frustrated myself out of some deluded sense of needing to compete with the others here, but in reality so long as you yourself are having fun it hardly matters whether you've got a 'perfect game' My playstyle is highly refined, but not very flexible. If I try to alter things by choosing a different college, I quickly find that I don't do as well. My knowledge of the game is still very spotty in some areas, particularly when it comes to casting spells and adding phemes. That being said, even my best character would probably lose in a duel against some of the others you're no doubt talking about. (although I suspect it wouldn't be too bad a trouncing)

Just have fun, and try not to let the really good people's bragging get under your skin. We're all just having fun is all, and I think most of us are more than willing to answer questions about how to improve your game.

Yeah, I am actually thinking of making a topic about adventures and various locations for skills but I don't want to have to wait for mod tools to make a cheat mod for myself to check things out ( the link in the modding subforum isn't working ). I also have no time to go through lots of data because studying software engineering takes most of it, and there is work.

As a result, I too would like it if the pros here shared their secrets a bit.

My secrets are basically mass-abuse of the class skipping bug, save-loading until the cows decided to have never left their home in the first place, and hunting attributes like my life depends on it. And since I never get Cleanse and Remake it really does. Heck, there's an example of me playing through the first month right here. If anyone has any questions about that, feel free to ask.

I'm wondering if I should do a full playthrough one of these days, but I'd really like to get my game modded the way I want it before playing it again. Besides which, I can't imagine it'd be especially entertaining to see me read ahead in the script and prepare accordingly for pretty much all 10 months.

I'm wondering if I should do a full playthrough one of these days, but I'd really like to get my game modded the way I want it before playing it again. Besides which, I can't imagine it'd be especially entertaining to see me read ahead in the script and prepare accordingly for pretty much all 10 months.

This is exactly what I want to do for my definite year2 import save. Plan the whole year, savescum if necessary :P Would be nice if someone who is obviously knowledgeable and active in this community did it first, though, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know the feeling ;). Rest assured also that after my planned modifications my game wouldn't be a great example. I plan to completely excise the character creation to early-game attribute rush, horribly nerf the daylights out of anything I perceive as easy Gates/Mastery access, probably mess with Clique abilities a bit beyond just nerfing the passive attribute increases, and gods help Cleanse and Remake because it's not going to have a fun time. Probably a few more things, too.

I go through the game with little set up beforehand, although since my main saves are all similar, with the same basic character, that could be said to be planning....

Anyway, I typically get my class subjects studied at the venacilium first, then start training skills at the various libraries since I've now unlocked them. Occasionally, I'll use an action like study the fields. or some other action that unlocks a skill easily. By the first mid term warning, I've started on doing adventures, but I generally don't have many finished yet. by focusing on the main pillars I can get most stages that rely on at least one pillar done, although the odd pillarless step gives me trouble and so I typically train those specific skills while unlocking Gates and Mastery.

Then it's just a matter of finishing adventures, and raising the skills needed for the next one. Rinse and repeat. I also try to get the merit race rewards, too. Anyway, it doesn't take 20 hours to plan out. I don't do any pregame planning at all, although I do consult the wiki to figure out how to unlock specific skills or to figure out which pheme gives specific benefits.

This Wikia, you mean? There's also the mod tools, of course, through generally the wiki is more convenient (if less complete).

EDIT: Oh, and just for the record, the main plot adventures are A Meeting in a Tavern (Captain), In Search of Rumors of Pirates (Pirates), A Reward For a Job Well Done (Illaro), Academagia Under Attack! (Triplets) and A Note From The Headmaster (Orsi). And the Just Going About Your Business follow-up if you ended up ticking off the Costers. I don't promise that the names are exactly correct, but they ought to be reasonably close.

That is tremendously helpful actually. Thanks. :)

I do enjoy the game, but the learning curve for really wringing the marrow out of this game is steeper than for Dominions. :blink: The boards are fairly eye-opening that way. Plus the release rate is a bit of a concern. I'm in my 40's so by the time the last year comes out, sure, I'll have plenty of free time to play in my nursing home, but dementia will probably limit my ability to really game the system.

I definitely thought my own class skipping character was a god among really powerful mortals at first, but, eh...that was not the case. She was, at best, a demi-god among Great Old Ones. I definitely did not expect this game to be more brutally punishing than most Atlus RPGs I've played, but somehow it still manages.

• 3 weeks later...

Experience from plenty of play throughs helps, also, having other students under your control to allow you to study skills why going on Adventures... helps.

Learning how to get your Familiars Bond level high is also a trick and challeng on it's own. If you do it right you can accomplish it in just a few game days time :) Curse of the branding Irin, improved familiar handlin etz.

The thing is, our most insane creations that stretch the boundries of what should be possible, are far more "powerful" and beefed up than I think will ever be needed for a sucessful playthrough of the game. None of the NPC students ever get anywhere close to that level. They might make thigns far too easy tbh, the game might not have challenging enough "challenges" for those characters, but I guess they can still enjoy being awesome at whatever they choose to do :)

My first character was nothing like this, it was a catastrophy by comparison, though it probably passed the classes for the year well enough, I think.... But failing can also be entertaining :P After playing the first game, I feelt the school was a deathtrap and that was without touching the Adventures, just stumbling through the every day events and planned events was enough to give my first character a scare and make the school look like a complete deathtrap.

Eventually you learn how things work and how to progress safely and efficiently. Picking up the imporant skills, Adventures and then expanding your skills and accomplishments from there. Some skill will save you a lot of actions and help you develp other skills faster, get adventures done and progress made.

Also taking risks and not over leveling anything, so level ups from quests / events / random bumps aren't wasted.

If you wanted to really min/max, I'd pop open the modder and look up every single option you can take in a quest or event to see what they give a skill rank to.

It's on my agenda for my attempt at a perfect play through after 17 drops.

Archived