Black Chicken Studios Forums

Propaganda from WW2

So, being over heated and not really wanting to create today, I was browsing Youtube when I encountered a USSR propaganda video for WW2 and thought I would share and see if others can find some from other countries. I found it interesting to see how each country depicts others.

Wow. Here is one by Warner Brothers of all things.

Edit: and even still, they toss in a racist comment about African Americans during this too. Oh the 40s and your primal social standards.

Edit 2: WOW talk about Japanese stereotyping!

Nel;

That stereotyping, or worse, was found in every Nation of the time. It was a...pretty ugly time, by today's standards. :)

Oh I agree, but I'm honestly Wowed by it. Like floored that this was common. It's entertaining to find this moments and sit here going "Wow... just wow..." I was expecting it to be there just not so.. in your face about it.

Edit:

Disney getting in on the action

While I don't approve of the extreme racism shown in any of those old wartimes, I do think that today people are still guilty of racism without realizing it. For example, I dislike the term "African-American" simply because it reeks of political correctness and Implies that all people with dark skin came from (and perhaps even belong to) Africa, and that somehow all of them are American. There's nothing wrong with using the word black as a descriptor so long as the attitude behind its use is correct. I take George Carlin's view on the N-word. You have to look at the context behind it.

Anyway, On a more light-hearted note, I've always been fond of this cartoon since I had a VHS tape with it long loong ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljAMQNbl4Y

As a child I never understood the out of gas joke at the end but now I know and can appreciate it. And the joke on the billboard at the beginning, too. :)

While I don't approve of the extreme racism shown in any of those old wartimes, I do think that today people are still guilty of racism without realizing it. For example, I dislike the term "African-American" simply because it reeks of political correctness and Implies that all people with dark skin came from (and perhaps even belong to) Africa, and that somehow all of them are American. There's nothing wrong with using the word black as a descriptor so long as the attitude behind its use is correct. I take George Carlin's view on the N-word. You have to look at the context behind it.

Anyway, On a more light-hearted note, I've always been fond of this cartoon since I had a VHS tape with it long loong ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljAMQNbl4Y

As a child I never understood the out of gas joke at the end but now I know and can appreciate it. And the joke on the billboard at the beginning, too. :)

I argue it's up to the person who will be speaking with the person of color to find out what that person likes to identify as. I've met people who pick black and some that identify as African-American, some that use both (African-American professionally and black amongst friends), and some that use neither ( Haitian American, Jamaican American, etc.) They all identify as black but they don't like being lumped together as just "black" without paying respect to where they are actually from. Also racism is still alive today, I recommend looking up a video named "Jose vs Joe: who gets a job?". A man named Jose gets turned down from job applications left and right, then he decides to see how he would fare if he removed the S from his name making him "Joe", after resubmitting his application those same employers sent responding emails the same day.

I would argue that it is up to *both* parties to find a middle ground that they can both agree on. That is the basic principle of social interaction 101, if you will. If such a middle ground cannot be reached by both sides voluntarily, then some form of segregation must take place or violence ensues. That goes beyond the argument of race, as well.

I can bend far enough to call a person an African-American if they ask nicely, but if they call me a racist bigot for preferring 'black' then who is really the racist one? There are things such as reverse discrimination and reverse racism which are just as bad as the original.

I would argue that it is up to *both* parties to find a middle ground that they can both agree on. That is the basic principle of social interaction 101, if you will. If such a middle ground cannot be reached by both sides voluntarily, then some form of segregation must take place or violence ensues. That goes beyond the argument of race, as well.

I can bend far enough to call a person an African-American if they ask nicely, but if they call me a racist bigot for preferring 'black' then who is really the racist one? There are things such as reverse discrimination and reverse racism which are just as bad as the original.

I fail to see how a person needs another party's consent for their self-identity? Do you check with other people if it's okay if you refer to your own race a certain way? Reverse racism would be the belief that other races are superior than your own or the belief that your own race is inferior to others. A racist is a racist no matter the skin color of the perpetrator or the victim. If a person's a racist to you, cease conversation and walk away from the poor excuse for a human being, and welcome to feeling like a minority for a bit.

Finding the self-identity in how one is different from other is usually already the first step into racism and discrimination.

No, that's called getting to know someone and being respectful enough not to assume. And once again Racism is either the belief that ones race is superior to others or the belief that anothers race is inherently inferior. I do agree asking someone's race when there's no need raises concern but if your getting to know someone either as a date, or friends, or co-workers it's perfectly acceptable as long as it's done respectfully.

you know that blonde is used at last as common as black to discriminate people? But if people use black for bully reason its called racism and when other using blonde to bully its not.

In my opinion discrimination is always bad no mater if it is called racism, bullying or just bad joke.

you know that blonde is used at last as common as black to discriminate people? But if people use black for bully reason its called racism and when other using blonde to bully its not.

blonde is not a race. So that's just discrimination while discrimination based on someone's race (I.e. black) is racism. But I would love to know more of the discrimination facing blondes. Tell me, were they refused a job based on nothing more than blonde sounding name? Do sales associates follow blondes around extra close when you go to stores, for fear of them stealing something? Do police greet blondes with a hand already resting on their pistol?

Edit: You know what? Let's drop the debate here. We have gotten way off topic.

Nel, I sincerely apologize to you for hijacking your thread. Please understand that race is an issue close to my heart, growing up Latino in America was not easy.

Legate, if you read this I also would like to apologize to you for steering this thread in to a subject many people find uncomfortable. I will not be replying anymore in this thread to avoid further argument.

Have to understand that the Allies had the biggest advantage in propaganda. They had Hollywood, Warner Brothers, and Disney, Giants of entertainment making these things. The Axis couldn't hold a candle

It is not a case about self identiy, it is a case about tolerance of other people's viewpoints. Race, Religion, Politics, and lately, even Gender roles are all included in this. No people are ever going to be perfectly the same. That would be a nightmare world of horrific proportions.

Racism is still with us, and will never completely go away. I merely wish to point out that as long as both sides of any argument can find a middle ground, Whether it be Homo VS Hetero, 'White' Vs 'Black' Protestant vs Catholic. These things can be dealt with, at least on an individual basis, as long as it is voluntary on both sides. Tolerance. *Not* "ACCEPT WHAT I THINK REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK!!!"

Anyway, the Japanese had their share of propaganda and racism too. Look at the white devil at 18:54 haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6I5FjPxDuU

Edit: I also find the 'drunken incompetent' sailor stereotype amusing too.

I know If I would go to Assia, Afrika or even the wrong city districts in my home country I would get this treatment as white blonde. Maybe not the police one but in general from the people living there. Racism is everywhere and each ethnic discriminate people outside of their own culture and race and this is a worldwide fact.

But as told above for me racism is only one part of the everyday discrimination we have to face and each and every discrimination is a bad thing that shouldn't happen. At last in my home country when someone make a joke about black people into their face it can be brought to the law for racism while the same thing done about a stupide blond in front of a blond person have nothing, the blonde even have to lough if not want to look bad.

Propaganda is an interested topic, and unfortunately, part of it was racially based. In that regard, it's interested to see how the powers viewed one another through the lens of race. But discussing race relations in a modern context doesn't really belong in this thread.

So, let's keep it focused on WW2. :)

Oh come on, I think it's safe to say it's mostly over. :) Debates on race tend to burn brightly but in the hands of people who aren't trolls it burns out fairly fast, too. All that's left is to agree to disagree. ;)

Edit: Legate beat me. :(

Getting back to world war 2, not sure how many people knew this existed:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HsFamcBHdwA

This was Goebble's attempt at making a Hollywood in Germany and was used as propaganda (the hero is an Aryan German)

W99;

Actually, I didn't know about that at all. That's an odd subject for the Reich.

History Channel did a special on it. The director used a real cruise liner, actual German sailors, built a massive scale replica, basically sinking millions into the movie. He also wanted to film in actual night time for scenes. Meanwhile he was being observed by Gestapo because he said some anti-Hitler things despite being the biggest director in Germany

Actually, there were a lot of wartime cartoons. It's just that not all of them dealt exclusively with the war itself. Sometimes you'd only know it was produced during the war in a single freeze-frame moment.

One of my favorite examples of such is this one: "Tortoise Wins by a Hare" This one apparently released in February of '43 but look at the small print on the bottom right hand side of the newspaper @ 3:49. Ironic, isn't it? and that it got such small print compared to the race is also funny.

http://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/669/bugs-bunny-tortoise-wins-by-a-hare.html

Archived