Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update Captain's Association: On Belle & Morgana Aviation

David J

As someone who plans to build their Fleet around an Aircraft Carrier this bit of info is much appreciated. I'm also liking Lex a bit more now seeing her interact with others.

Well I didn't know I could be more wildly desirous of Lady Ark, but here we are. Hiryuu and Lex were great too. One wonders what happened to Bearn though.
Morgana carriers would probably be rare simply because they are rarely needed. The Morgana do not commit capital ships for small matters after all. 

So what I took away from this is that carrier to carrier and carrier fleet combat wise it's going to come down to tactics. No one as yet knows what those tactics are. Because we haven't killed enough of them to figure it out. For example if you told me to crush any and all traffic in the North Atlantic beyond Submarine patrols, if I had carrier task forces available to me, I'd use them. Center them as the heart of a formation of destroyers and cruisers to do the butcher's work with a sub tender to service at least one wolf pack, but we also know that Morgana capital ships aren't particularly common out of their mists. Why would carriers be any different? Unless they have or feel the need to commit serious tonnage, which as of right now in the late fall of '39 with "Guns that can pierce any armor and armor that can flatten any shell"... they probably aren't particularly concerned. Once the INPF gets mobilized however, that might change.

All of that also leaves one of the questions I had unanswered though I don't believe it was perfectly covered by Scoot's question. Does an air dropped torpedo from a Belle carrier's planes have similar impact to any other form of Belle deployed ordnance? Logically we can say almost certainly yes otherwise carriers are just about worthless, but the devs have thrown a curve ball or two before. Which brings up the difference of what really changes with a belle.

I also found Kagawa-san's theories regarding aircraft "belles" for lack of a better term to be... fascinating. As an airman myself I am of course inclined to believe him for the same reason any sailor worth his salt would give you a look like he's wondering if you're stupid if you asked him if ships had a spirit to them,

---

"If you put that abomination in your mouth, I swear to God I will sink you just to spare you the indignity of digesting it."

Side note, what in the sweet mother of God's name is a lamb fry, and how is it terrible enough to turn the British palette against it?

Update: I am reliably informed that a lamb fry is the sheep equivalent of a Rocky Mountain Oyster. (deep fried bull testicles). Ew. Or perhaps the right reaction is ram in this case...

---

"Kanchou. O hisashiburi desu ne. We are in the company of madwomen."

A given considering the old saying about mad dogs and Englishmen. Though Lex might not appreciate the canine comparison.

Before reading this update, I didn't know that "lamb fries" were a thing, but I sure as hell know that I didn't want to.

BTW, where's Béarn? You DID say Béarn was in this update. These bait-and-switch tactics won't be tolerated for long!(?)

Oh...
Oh.

I get it, she's late, as usual.

In fact, she's so late she'll appear in the next update being all "Let me tell you about planes." "What? What do you mean that was one week ago??"

On 13.4.2018 at 11:21 PM, RockyArby said:

As someone who plans to build their Fleet around an Aircraft Carrier this bit of info is much appreciated. I'm also liking Lex a bit more now seeing her interact with others.

As a future KM-player I can only say. "Hah! Who needs that kind of useless ships? I'll just build myself a runway on Helgoland or something." before I silently cry my self to sleep, wake up with a grudge and start the morning with plotting U-Boot tactics against RN carrier while I have a good german breakfast mit Blutwurst.

On 14.4.2018 at 1:39 AM, Wellington99 said:

I need more Ark and Belfast interactions in my life. Also:

(Meme "One. Does. Not. Have. Black. Pudding. With. Tea." removed to save space) 

On the one hand I enjoy them very much. On the other.... two RN ships and one of them a Unionist..... but hey I learned "Eejit".
Also your name for Blutwurst is confusing, but I agree and serve it with bread. And in your defense a some misleading named versions are "Möppkenbrot" (puggie or pupper bread) around here, in Berlin "Tote Oma/Dead Grandma", around...well everywhere from Cologne (who falsely claim the invention) to Hannover and the north sea you can find "Himmel und Erde" (heaven and earth). And a lot I never came across to this day. 
One more thing: I call it Blutwurst (blood sausage), but other names are Rotwurst or Schwarzwurst (Red- or black sausage). 

On 14.4.2018 at 1:55 AM, TwoHeavens said:

Side note, what in the sweet mother of God's name is a lamb fry, and how is it terrible enough to turn the British palette against it?

Update: I am reliably informed that a lamb fry is the sheep equivalent of a Rocky Mountain Oyster. (deep fried bull testicles). Ew. Or perhaps the right reaction is ram in this case...

I had no ideas what either of it was, when I read the same reliable sources. So I looked up the lamb fries and hey, I saw that movie! 

On 14.4.2018 at 8:59 PM, Dmnt said:

Before reading this update, I didn't know that "lamb fries" were a thing, but I sure as hell know that I didn't want to.

BTW, where's Béarn? You DID say Béarn was in this update. These bait-and-switch tactics won't be tolerated for long!(?)

1. Funny since german wikipedia points to Spain for testicles in european cuisine. 
2. Yeah, I really miss Béarn..... I hope you're right with your conclusion on her fate.

Spoiler

She's the host and gets pretty for us since beta is a go.

@Scootia Congrats for getting promoted to Admiral. *salutes*

Personally Ark is my favourite carrier and this update cemented that impression. I'll definitively hunt for her.

Also there has to be a 1939 german joke that starts with: A Brit, a Yank and a Japanese talk about airplanes..... I just have to find it. Also, nothing happened on the 20.06.1939 or the 27.08.1939. Or to paraphrase a well known german commercial ad: And while in the rest of the world they still so dishes, they celebrate in Germany.
And why solid rocket fuel? That's stupid for a plane...at least if you want to manouvre it! Okay, who put out money for that guy? 

Also I agree with Hiryuu. Army connections are always problematic. At least political.

I'll be honest... Lex as the Joker isn't super, man.

Ark delivers the money quotes for me in a very important way: "....our planes are superior to standard types." And suddenly I still don't give a frak about a minimal strategic but a lot of them about tactical advantage that opens up here. I also like how they emphasize the importance of crew quality. I will form a question about it!

Oh I hope those "Gremlins" turn out to be little plane-Walküren. Would be so cool and adorable at the same time. I wonder how they "embarass" the carriers with their existence, since Hiryuu and Ark don't want to talk about them. And they're attached not to the Trägerwalküre or the plane, but the pilot...... heh. That means a land based pilot can have one too, right? And you can lure them out with alcohol.... ? *preps up his cabinet like mad* My ships will only shot full glas jacket ammo! Still why is Ark disgusted by their existence?

The description of a Morgana aircraft makes me think it might be a poor sort of demonized soul attached to a solid fuel propelled rocket device attached to it with barbed wire apparently.

Now can someone please explain to me how Lex jumps from crows to buzzards in this context? I know very well what a buzzard (Bussard in german) is. They are "normal" birds of prey here.... so yeah, an explanation would be grand.

2 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

On the one hand I enjoy them very much. On the other.... two RN ships and one of them a Unionist..... but hey I learned "Eejit".

Given her name is for the Battle of Lexington (and Concord)  she'll probably never give the RN a break... and being called a RN ship Fightin' Words.

I'll be honest... Lex as the Joker isn't super, man

Now can someone please explain to me how Lex jumps from crows to buzzards in this context? I know very well what a buzzard (Bussard in german) is. They are "normal" birds of prey here.... so yeah, an explanation would be grand.

Crows are omnivores and will at least eat other things besides carrion.  Buzzards (maybe vulture would be more accurate) are carrion eaters.

Spoiler

As in Lexington's lamb fries are fit only to feed those who find rotting carcasses tasty...or the "galloping" gourmet of the French Pyrenees...:P

1 hour ago, Panay's Ghost said:

Given her name is for the Battle of Lexington (and Concord)  she'll probably never give the RN a break... and being called a RN ship Fightin' Words.

Crows are omnivores and will at least eat other things besides carrion.  Buzzards (maybe vulture would be more accurate) are carrion eaters.

I was referring to the HMS Ark Royal and the HMS Awful Eejit, long may she reign. Not the Lexington. 

And the Bussard I refer to, doesn't eat carrion afaik. But rodents and small amphibious lifeforms mostly.

P.S.: Oh. Oh!!! Unionist? :lol: Nooo. I don't care about you and your little civil war. I was refering to Belfast here. Maybe @Wellington99 can explain more appropiately than I could.

Spoiler

Ah, the good old British art of torturing ppl with food :D

>He simply believes that aeroplanes, particularly fighter planes, have native fighting spirits as we do. He hopes to unlock them.

so it is plane exp now, not pilot's ?

>Also, he wishes to use some kind of Army solid propellant to create a sort of a rocket-plane.

>>solid propellant to create a sort of a rocket-plane

*ROFLING OUT LOUD*

>>>IJA solid propellant

*UNCONTROLLABLE SLAUGHTER*

>Yeah. Plus, we've got Gremlins.

why she still afloat <_<

>We'll just leave Lexington's food out for a while, shall we?

with fried offal? try anyone Brithish enough :P

8 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

As a future KM-player I can only say. "Hah! Who needs that kind of useless ships? I'll just build myself a runway on Helgoland or something." before I silently cry my self to sleep, wake up with a grudge and start the morning with plotting U-Boot tactics against RN carrier while I have a good german breakfast mit Blutwurst.

Don't worry Korky, it's alternate history, maybe Graf Zepplin will get to be something more than eventual Soviet target practice. 

8 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

As for this, Buzzards and Condors in the United States, while they might be classified as birds of prey are known primarily for their carrion eating habits. Modernly especially you are most likely to see one eating road kill. For combatants in the United States after a particularly grisly encounter what meat was left would almost certainly attract buzzards.Culturally they also have a further connection with death symbolism wise. The image of circling buzzards stalking a lone individual trying, and failing quite possibly, to survive the Sonoran desert while the buzzards orbit, content to wait for their meal to finish itself off is a common one in American cinema, television, literature, etc and is informed by real stories from the Westward Expansion. Similarly this attitude is expressed in various idioms like "buzzard bait".

So for Lady Lex, the most logical mental connection culturally for a battlefield carrion eater would be the buzzard over the humble crow, which enjoys much better PR in most of the US than it seems to most other places.

----

Also worth noting one of Belfast's yeomen might have made a minor typo while putting the transcript of the meeting together. I'm reasonably certain Hiryuu-san meant morale here...

"Perhaps they are lesser kami. The pilots are happy to think they have their favor, so it has a benefit for morality."

16 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

I was referring to the HMS Ark Royal and the HMS Awful Eejit, long may she reign. Not the Lexington. 

And the Bussard I refer to, doesn't eat carrion afaik. But rodents and small amphibious lifeforms mostly.

P.S.: Oh. Oh!!! Unionist? :lol: Nooo. I don't care about you and your little civil war. I was refering to Belfast here. Maybe @Wellington99 can explain more appropiately than I could.

I believe you're referencing the Irish Unionist Alliance, and their platform of opposing home rule from England. Again, as I've grown up in America, it's the first time I've heard someone call an Irishman/woman a Unionist. However, it makes sense as the IUA's largest base was in Ulster, aka Northern Ireland. They were also more confrontational and included worries about "Rome Rule", that is a Catholic government as they were predominantly Protestant. I don't believe I've gotten much of it, but I wonder how Belfast feels about England and Ireland's state, if she thinks it should be completely free or still part of the United Kingdom

15 hours ago, Wellington99 said:

I believe you're referencing the Irish Unionist Alliance, and their platform of opposing home rule from England. Again, as I've grown up in America, it's the first time I've heard someone call an Irishman/woman a Unionist. However, it makes sense as the IUA's largest base was in Ulster, aka Northern Ireland. They were also more confrontational and included worries about "Rome Rule", that is a Catholic government as they were predominantly Protestant. I don't believe I've gotten much of it, but I wonder how Belfast feels about England and Ireland's state, if she thinks it should be completely free or still part of the United Kingdom

We actually covered the troubles in school in english class (not in history class!).

@Panay's Ghost and Welly is correct. I refer to the unionist movement, like in "staying in a union with England" or inside the United Kingdom. And Belfast and especially the area around it is the strongpoint of the Unionist movement, although through its size and prominence as the capital of Northern Ireland, Belfast itself has also a very, very active republican scene. So she might be actually neutral in the Northern Ireland conflict. Also note Northern Ireland is not equivalent with Ulster. Three Ulster counties belong to the Republic of Ireland and six to the United Kingdom. But Unionist groups like to use Ulster in their name to suggest otherwise.

In any case mentioning/addressing the troubles should make HMS Belfast really, really uncomfortable....

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Irish war of independence and following civil war was finished barely a decade earlier calling it a sensitive discussion was... ah. Yeah. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Archived