Black Chicken Studios Forums

A Very Eccentric Playthrough

Rhialto

I will not recommend the way in which I played this particular game to players without great patience for save-scumming or great luck, but for me the outcome, though long in coming and requiring days of reloading, was very good from a role-playing and personal achievement perspective, although suboptimal from a powergaming perspective (due to not having completed many quests due to, among other things, having my PC condemned to a period in study sessions due to illicitly researching biology in the Imperial reserve).

The PC was conceived as a loner, aggressive against those who crossed him and preferring to use physical solutions rather than magical, whose interest in biology would lead him into gates magic and into a deep relationship with Uliva Valaresso.

In the end, the PC succeeded in this.

PC’s Attributes:

Fitness: 18 (without magic, due to much running and accompanying fitness boosting)

Finesse: 8

Charm: 1 (3 with emotion-based modifiers)

Strength: 5

Intelligence: 14

Insight: 7

Luck: 8

Familiar: Paradoxicus the Platypus (Bond: 10 thanks to the Calculate the Familiar Equation ability – although it could be used multiple times per day)

Courses (and their skill values): Arithmetic (14), Athletics (15 – including researching wrestling and archery to 10 so that those subskills could be raised to 11), Grammar (13), Negation (13), Revision (14), Zoology (11).

Non Course Skills with notable Achievements: Astrology (12 – 13 with emotion), Explore (10 – including 16 in Animal Husbandry), Forge (11), History (11), Incantation (11), Natural Philosophy (11), Research (16 – 18 with emotion), School Survival (10), Society (9 – but could go to 11 witrh no research needed due to passive bonuses to 3 subskills).

Achievements: Helped Pelia, rescued the student from the Topiary Garden (and completed a random event to protect her from Joana’s scamming her), completed The Cartboy’s Runner, the main quest through Helping Illaro, the quest A Day in Frontino, completed the Morvidus Picnic quest, Splash Quest, Eliana’s Adventure, the Ahriman’s Wand Quest, the Wandering the Corridors Adventure (that I wrote), made a pact with the living Dragon-book (only to have it confiscated during a detention), met Morgana (and through the character’s poor lying met Stryker), got Candies of the Void through a Random Event, met the Arm-wrestler Gates Mages (whom my PC did not help as they wished and learned about the Second Circle because he is smart enough to realize that bozos are not the type of people whom one should listen to when dealing with dangerous magics), learned about the Being, investigated the tower with the Sword of Kush, and completed Uliva’s quest. And highest marks in all courses!

Relationships: Love with Uliva Velaresso, 10 with Philippe Marchant and Beatrix von Wetgen (despite having done neither character’s quest), 10 with Legate Orsi, 6 with Regent Storey.

Questions: 1. Will my character’s Academic achievements and close relationship with Orsi and non-Hostile relationship with Storey grant my PC extra options during Y2, such as course options and a mentorship opportunity?

2. Are there plans to increase the difficulty of the Grapple for the Crowds checks during Y2 (due to, for example, characters getting older and being expected to have more skill?)? Because my PC is so fit and skilled at wrestling that earning Glory through Grapple for the Crowds is a blue option.

3. Is it a bug (albeit very useful) that Calculate the Familiar Equation can be used as often as the player wants? If so, would the correction of this bug invalidate my save for Y2?

Archived