Black Chicken Studios Forums

Anyone successfully published a mod?

mhv3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mhv3;

If you have an out of memory error, you probably won't be successful again. The size of Academagia's database, and how the Mod Tools load it, means that if you do not have an x64 Bit system (or enough memory in general), you are likely to quickly run up against memory limitations. :)

We are looking at ways to help those with x32 systems, but the solutions are all unattractive and can lead to damaged data in your mods.

With the studies in full swing I won't have the time to let my computer do honest to god mod compiling until about.. February. So many ideas, so little time.

Write it down in the mod ideas thread and someone might pick it up before you do it! :rolleyes:

Does that mean that each time you do a dlc we have to download a new base?

(and is it only legal to have 1 active mod at a time?)

I was excited to get my mod to work, but i forgot to put a target on the add memory. So I can add the background, but it doesn't do much. Oh well. I'll have to publish it again tonight.

Anyone made a cheatmod yet? Heh heh.

I rather expand the background choice to include lot of stat gain with equal negative that I won't focus in...for the first year. :rolleyes:

But damn, 6 hours. :)

And damn, X64 system...

Quick clarification here - so if we followed the steps described here to make our mod:

http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.p...entry7287

Our mod should include both the DLC 2 content plus our additions?

If so - awesome. Either way, actually, awesome. The tools are a lot of fun to work with.

Also, I've published two "test" mods, and it has taken around, say, 9 hours to publish each one. Just a heads up =) I'm on an AMD PhenomII 64-bit machine with 4 GB of RAM, for reference. It is totally worth the time though!

I can't seem to get my new actions to appear. I removed the prerequisites and they still are not on the pick list. Is there a step after defining the action? I did make it a magnitude 10. Do I need to set that back to 0 like train. Other then that I don't see anything different. (and a day to test it make iterating frustrating.)

mhv3;

Well, first things first- how does the Player gain access to the Action? If you have a Character (including NPCs) to have an Action, you have to use the Add Effect to grant them access to the Action.

I believe you are making a Background? In your Background, you'll want to make an Effect 'Add Action', with the appropriate Action selected', and the Target should be Character/Self. Then, when the Player chooses this Background, they will have access to the Action.

As a rule, here are the ways to get various entities into the Player's (or NPC's) hands:

Spell - Add

Sub-Skill - Expand or Add

Pheme - Inform

Item - Add

Action - Add

Ability - Add

...watch out for Phemes, as that's the only one that's different. Why did we do it that way? Don't ask. :)

Thanks!

I made bad assumptions. I assumed any action as available to all unless the prereqs said differently. I should have asked before.

Thanks Again.

How do you make an adventure available (not there yet, but I'll ask before I need it this time.)

mhv3;

An Adventure is selectable by the Player if there exists no other Adventure with any Continuances which point to it or if they have previously been on an Adventure which has a Continuance pointing to a new Stage. That is why, if you look at most Adventures, they begin with a Stage 0, which immediately Continues on to Stage 1 with no time delay. The reason we do this is that Stage 1 Exits usually have a Failure Continuance which points back to Stage 1- so the Player can retry it. If the Stage 0 Adventure had these, it would not be selectable by the Player.

So we setup a background,

Select background type, select step type say History.

Action type: Background

Then put in 'Add Action'(action type) 'Target Self'

And that adds in things to the background list?

My question is, do we have to do anything special to add this to the background menu?

It's been 8 hours and my Mod is at 20%. =(

I don't suppose there is any way to shorten that without doing anything to the computer itself? I'd gladly sacrifice compatibility (or whatever it is it doing when publishing) if it means Mods could be made in less than an hour. With things like this, fixing and tweaking a Mod will be an absolute nightmare...

What I don't understand is, is the cross-checking process compulsory? That is, is it simply to ensure there are no errors in the Mod, or can it be skipped and a perfectly error-free Mod will come out just fine? What will happen, for example, if you publish the Mod Base with no changes, but skip the entire cross-checking process?

Thing is, I'm only interested in small changes, not an overhaul of the entire game. Such a time-consuming (for me, 40+ hours) process basically renders this pursuit pointless, especially since I tend to tweak the changes I make frequently.

Archived