Black Chicken Studios Forums

How many copies did Academagia sell?

ktalkimist

Clearly Academagia did well enough to warrant a sequel and a brand new game for BCS, but how well did it sell exactly? I'm curious because I know low key titles from renown publishers would sell around 100k, then other games move up from there. Academagia is in a pretty special niche. I don't even know if there are still a lot of people out there who are into such kind of games, so I wonder how many copies the game sold.

Sadly I never managed to get some numbers out the Legate so I put something together my own from what I have learned from other Teams at Kickstarter so this numbers could be complet off.

Someone working on a game cost at last $30000/ year (not including the Hardware, office place ect.) and for Academagia there listed fare over 70 peoples (I stoped counting then) in the credit as have worked on this game.

I think inc. development time of year 1 it must be around 4 years now that the people only haved the money from year 1.

Now seeing the shops ask for $25 unless the game is on sale and ~30% is taken away from the shops what means they got $17,5 per copy when it wasn't on sale.

So just to cover up the costs for 80 people for 1 year would mean they have to sale ~140k units of the game.

Thats why I personal think most of the team make this just for hobby without getting any or much money in return.

Huh why do you think Academagia was financed via crowdfunding? Kickstarter started April 2009 but I'm prety sure Academagia development started bevore this date!

Edit: I see what make you think so but you got it wrong there is a upcomming Kickstarter from Black Cicken Studios where we know nothing about so fare except that it will hit Kickstarter probably in the next vew weeks.

Huh why do you think Academagia was financed via crowdfunding? Kickstarter started April 2009 but I'm prety sure Academagia development started bevore this date!

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread the mod's post about Kickstarter. What's Kickstarter got to do with Academagia sales then? Really curious about sales numbers because even sort of popular games such as Mana Khemia titles get less than 100k sometimes.

@ktalkimist

Legate mentioned Kickstarter as they're planning on starting one for a secret project. It sounds/reads like the original Academagia did well enough to warrant a sequel and move towards Scheherazade, plus said kickstarter and another game that's in development, but being kept secret. However the company is still running partially on 'this has to be a hobby' levels of sales.

:(

I'll admit I'd seen Academagia mentioned, but what got me was the endorsement from Hanako for Scheherazade. I'm more cautious about spending money (the $25 dollar price tag threw me for a while) on companies I don't know about due to a few purchases that... left me very dissatisfied in the past. However both games have amazing replay value and are a ton of fun so the company has earned 'take my money' status from me. :D

Yay kickstarter tomorrow!

I would love to have something like the Ars Magica Game on Kickstarter for continue after year 5. Instead of each day you only plan each month or even every quarter year so the game can go over a much longer time period and become even more strategic with events that can be so big as complete adventures in year 1.

Wow, your new game is a huge $290,000 project. Does this mean you made around the same for previous games? Clearly, you know how to handle that kind of money. :)

So far, I've found that the VN Analogue: A Hate Story sold at least 30,000 copies in its first few months, while less popular VNs are like enough if they break the 1,000 mark. Is it the same with Academagia?

I strongly doubt we'd do anything after the 5th Year- the reason is that there is *so* much to do, once you are outside of the University gates! Maybe it should be an MMO? *dreams big* :)

Schwarzbart's idea is pretty cool, though- something like that...might be feasible, actually...;)

*dreams big*

Academagia MMO remind me of Wizard 101... :ph34r:

Archived