Black Chicken Studios Forums

Befriend

avigor

Does anybody know how the Befriend difficulty is calculated? I was just declined trying to Befriend Amada Kiffer despite having a relationship stat of 10, having completed her entire quest line, having 10 Befriend and 5 Charm (counting a +1 from an emotion), a Glory point from a Merit Award, doing it at the Great Hall for that  extra +10% chance, and casting Exgarcot's Extraordinary Gift with a Friend pheme attached to it (which did trigger the extra Glory point from the spell) for an extra +4 effective Befriend and +1 Charm earlier the same day. Oh, and my general Befriend action is seemingly stuck in eternal purple. What is going on here? I feel like I'm missing something...

Contested actions like Befriend are always purple in the action/abilities/etc. list, they're not color-coded until you've actually selected a target (although because of Befriend's arcane mechanics it's color-coding might as well be permanently stuck at orange). Speaking of which, Befriend is more likely to succeed if:

• Your target is not in a Clique already.
  • Your target has a high relationship with you.
  • Your target is in the same College as you.
  • There are fewer people in your Clique to begin with.
  • The people you do have have a high relationship with your target.

A bad combination of the above might very well give you a hideous enough penalty to swat away your Charm 5/Befriend 14 roll like it's nothing. The traditional (if...mean) solution to a problem like this is to get Manipulation 10 and cast Schism on Amada's clique until it completely falls to pieces, and you can scoop her up much more easily once she's a free agent again. You could even fiddle around with Common Ground if you're worried your Clique is too big to reliably Befriend her (though I'd recommend having something on hand to counteract the relationship decreases).

Actually, my clique is currently empty... so unless it boils down to her existing clique causing an issue, or me having a high relationship with someone she doesn't like, I'm not still not seeing how that happened. Anyhoot, I'll give it another shot tomorrow night (or tonight, if you're not thinking nocturnally like me lol) and see what happens.

Due to a game bug you start in a one-person Clique, so as far as the game is concerned you're not a free agent. It should be the case that if you're not in a Clique and you successfully Befriend someone who is you'd be added to their Clique, but because of the bug you instead are attempting to steal a member of an existing Clique to join yours, which is insanely hard if not outright impossible.

Ok, here's an update: I decided to try and force towards the end of the game by chaining Exgarcot's Extraordinary Gift and Friendship phemes, as strong as I could make them, over the last few days of the game. This resulted in 50 Charm and 79 Befriend, on top of using the Great Hall and having +8 temp Glory from the spells (which I suspect has some impact). From what I could tell, she still refused to join my clique; at least, the clique list thing was still empty. Seriously? She has one person in her clique besides herself, that check was ridiculous, and yet I still didn't get her? Sigh I guess I'll wait for Year 2 for her to be officially "befriend"...

I've always wondered about this, because it seems like I SHOULD befriend someone, but RNG says otherwise. So if I'm friendly with person A and try to befriend person B, but person B can't stand person A, the befriend roll with fail? Also, is it easier to befriend those in your college (in my case, Hedi) than those in another college? There are those in other colleges I would like to be friends with that are better than some of those in my own college...

In my opinion by now the relationship between your other clique member and a potential new clique member is by far more important then your own to the potential clique member because your own relationship can be easy changed by you.

The problem is not only Befriend get more difficult depending on the number of clique member you have and their relationship but also that your clique might break as soon 2 or more clique member don't like each other!

(After I managed to break up my own clique with a single demean within just 1 day I came to this conclusion)

7 hours ago, musical74 said:

I've always wondered about this, because it seems like I SHOULD befriend someone, but RNG says otherwise. So if I'm friendly with person A and try to befriend person B, but person B can't stand person A, the befriend roll with fail? Also, is it easier to befriend those in your college (in my case, Hedi) than those in another college? There are those in other colleges I would like to be friends with that are better than some of those in my own college...

Posted near the top of this very topic:

On 27-5-2017 at 11:24 AM, Metis said:

Contested actions like Befriend are always purple in the action/abilities/etc. list, they're not color-coded until you've actually selected a target (although because of Befriend's arcane mechanics it's color-coding might as well be permanently stuck at orange). Speaking of which, Befriend is more likely to succeed if:

• Your target is not in a Clique already.
  • Your target has a high relationship with you.
  • Your target is in the same College as you.
  • There are fewer people in your Clique to begin with.
  • The people you do have have a high relationship with your target.

A bad combination of the above might very well give you a hideous enough penalty to swat away your Charm 5/Befriend 14 roll like it's nothing. The traditional (if...mean) solution to a problem like this is to get Manipulation 10 and cast Schism on Amada's clique until it completely falls to pieces, and you can scoop her up much more easily once she's a free agent again. You could even fiddle around with Common Ground if you're worried your Clique is too big to reliably Befriend her (though I'd recommend having something on hand to counteract the relationship decreases).

I can't post exactly what penalties get involved in what situations because the Team has never deigned to clarify, for reference.

Archived