Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update #70: Aoba

Panay's Ghost

18efdb0853581885b4d28458c32e4019_origina

Spirited, Awkward, Tinkerer: Aoba!

...You know, between Parizhskaya Kommuna's clean up, U-29's discovery of profiteers and now this, I have to wonder where our Hostess gets her people from...

As for Aoba, collecting all of Buster Crabbe's Vestures and then letting him get away?  Tisk, tisk...

She was fun and very adorable.  I certainly hope to see more of her shy side in game.

As for I am Aoba, as the story goes... in the battle of cape esperance (forgive me if my details are fuzzy or wrong) it was nighttime and Salt Lake City (good ol' Swayback maru) tried to launch her floatplane, but it pretty much exploded and shot right into the water.  Aoba saw the fire and thought it was a signal light from another Japanese column.  When she tried to signal them, the Americans realized there were enemies and opened fire.  Aoba saw that they were firing on her and began to signal repeatedly "I am Aoba" and the admiral sent Fubuki closer to make contact with their supposed friends.  Fubuki was promptly destroyed and the battle was a bit of a disaster for the Japanese.  Forgive me if I'm mixing a few things up there.

For a J-belle, she lacks a degree of... tact. Many of the Japanese bits were informal speech, not at all appropriate for meeting your commanding officer. Actually, it's kind of endearing. Keigo can get a bit oppressive, speaking as an American. Anyway, seems cute. I look forward to having her in the fleet.

She seems less formal then most other Japanese Belles, and she is rather clumsy and guy crazy. Though she seems like a fun Belle to have in a party, and rather good with making machines too. Appearance wise love her boots and her gun fans. Also Flash Gordon

One of my favourite imperial Belles* so far.
She uses Kansai/Kinki dialect, builds Goldberg machines, has absolutely beautiful fan guns - I can't stretch enough how much I like them-, likes sci-fi action and cherry on top..... if you want to talk about super weapons,
you've come to the reich * coughs* ....right place.... :wub::wub::wub::wub: 

And as a german I can always use a heavy cruiser for my blue water navy. ;)

The only downer are the cowboy boots..... I mean: really? I can get her some nice italian lady shoes anytime. Waaaaay better.

*I ask a related question in the general questions thread.

As a woman my thought about the boots is how over-the-top impractical they are.  How the heck does she walk without tearing off the, respectively, left and right wings of the two floatplanes?!? :unsure:

On 7/8/2017 at 8:57 AM, David J said:

She seems less formal then most other Japanese Belles, and she is rather clumsy and guy crazy. Though she seems like a fun Belle to have in a party, and rather good with making machines too. Appearance wise love her boots and her gun fans. Also Flash Gordon

It would be funny if there was a VB halloween event...and she had a costume that paid homage to Ming the Merciless :D.

Hi ho!

I found Aoba's character to be both relatable and enjoyable! However, what i found the most curious was her cannon-equipped fans, which are a reference to jappanese culture. As to where and why... i'll leave that to Gaijin Goomba to reveal, should he ever grace us with his presence ;)

On 08/07/2017 at 8:30 PM, DrYuriMom said:

As a woman my thought about the boots is how over-the-top impractical they are.  How the heck does she walk without tearing off the, respectively, left and right wings of the two floatplanes?!? :unsure:

True, that. Probably putting them on the outer sides of the feet would be better.

I wonder if she'll somewhat stumble due to that "design flaw".

Archived