Black Chicken Studios Forums

Gate Magic (Secrets of silence) character creation question

Von-Wulfen

Hi all :)
I have now created 3 different builds of Bellatrix for my first adventures in Academagia.
I plan on playing a little of each character per day as an experiment to see how things work :)
On the third Build, I took "secrets of silence" Giving me a start in Gate magic.
I now have 1 point in Gates skill and in the sub-skills I have Gate methods 3, Gate spells 1, Theory of Gates 1.
Does this give me any gate spells or abilities? And if so where do I find them?

Do I have to train myself more in gates to get the spells?
Cheers :)

56 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Hi all :)
I have now created 3 different builds of Bellatrix for my first adventures in Academagia.
I plan on playing a little of each character per day as an experiment to see how things work :)
On the third Build, I took "secrets of silence" Giving me a start in Gate magic.
I now have 1 point in Gates skill and in the sub-skills I have Gate methods 3, Gate spells 1, Theory of Gates 1.
Does this give me any gate spells or abilities? And if so where do I find them?

Do I have to train myself more in gates to get the spells?
Cheers :)

My advice is to play one playthrough without overly stressing it, after that you should know better what to expect. It's impossible to know all the various tricks and bits by just looking at the menus.

If you're looking for more information on what to expect and what various things do, you could have a look at this:

It's surprisingly extensive for a supposed "basic mechanics" guide :D.

'Secrets of Silence' is a more of a RP choice in CC and it does not give any special abilities not inherent in the Gates skill itself. If you want to get an efficient way of training Gates then pick the Secret Heritage. It unlocks an adventure relevant to it.

If you're fine with spoilers:

Spoiler

The adventure unlocked by the Secret Heritage (The House in the Bog) informs the player of the Schohanwicht School and through it an ability that trains all the Gates subskills by one step in one time slot at the cost of one Vitality.

Skill level 1 is not really sufficient to do much with Gates, and even the level 10 spells don't really match the lore of summoning terrifying monsters and teleportation. Makes sense that anything truly impressive would be beyond a first year. That aside many of the Gates spells are hostile spells that don't really help outside of a duel (and I wouldn't use illegal magic in a public duel), and since dueling in Y1 is kinda half hearted, so...

2 minutes ago, Marcus said:

My advice is to play one playthrough without overly stressing it, after that you should know better what to expect. It's impossible to know all the various tricks and bits by just looking at the menus.

If you're looking for more information on what to expect and what various things do, you could have a look at this:

It surprisingly extensive for a supposed "basic mechanics" guide :D.

'Secrets of Silence' is a more of a RP choice in CC and it does not give any special abilities not inherent in the Gates skill itself. If you want to get an efficient way of training Gates then pick the Secret Heritage. It unlocks an adventure relevant to it.

If you're fine with spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

The adventure unlocked by the Secret Heritage (The House in the Bog) informs the player of the Schohanwicht School and through it an ability that trains all the Gates subskills by one step in one time slot at the cost of one Vitality.

Skill level 1 is not really sufficient to do much with Gates, and even the level 10 spells don't really match the lore of summoning terrifying monsters and teleportation. Makes sense that anything truly impressive would be beyond a first year. That aside many of the Gates spells are hostile spells that don't really help outside of a duel (and I wouldn't use illegal magic in a public duel), and since dueling in Y1 is kinda half hearted, so...

Many thanks for this. It is a little confusing for a newcomer. So the points I got from Secrets of silence in gates in the skills and research tab have nothing to do with gate Magic? Or would it boost it if I also took the "Secret Heritage" when creating a character?

1 minute ago, Von-Wulfen said:

Many thanks for this. It is a little confusing for a newcomer. So the points I got from Secrets of silence in gates in the skills and research tab have nothing to do with gate Magic? Or would it boost it if I also took the "Secret Heritage" when creating a character?

Oh no, the points from background do add to the skill, I merely figured you wanted a quicker way of training Gates.

Or is it that you don't know how the spells and abilities work? The FAQ I referred to does seemingly lack a spells section.

25 minutes ago, Marcus said:

Oh no, the points from background do add to the skill, I merely figured you wanted a quicker way of training Gates.

Or is it that you don't know how the spells and abilities work? The FAQ I referred to does seemingly lack a spells section.

I am still struggling with how spells and abilities work, well so much to take into account my mind is on overload :)

But If I'm going to create a character and dabble in Gate Magic I might as well go the whole hog and grab the secret heritage as well, so that tip is very helpful, Thank you :)

Just now, Von-Wulfen said:

I am still struggling with how spells and abilities work, well so much to take into account my mind is on overload :)

But If I'm going to create a character and dabble in Gate Magic I might as well go the whole hog and grab the secret heritage as well, so that tip is very helpful, Thank you :)

Ah, well the UI is not exactly intuitive and my explanations are hardly any better, so I'm not sure me trying to explain would really help :unsure:.

Bottom line, 'Secrets of Silence' is a good choice for a character interested in Mastery and Gates. It informs you of the skills and gives you some skill steps in them allowing you train them further. 'The Secret Heritage' is a Gates skill background only, and gives access to a good training ability, but no skill steps up front. So, overall both are viable depending on what you need.

As I said earlier, no need to overly stress it.

I personal think familiar, gate and mastery magic should only be focused on after understanding the basics of the game.

My suggestion is play one character just to understand and experiment how the game works maybe till midterm exams so that you also see how much time you have to get your study up.

I agree with Schwarzbart. Even in setting 9 out of 10 mages agree that illegal magic is not a casual thing. When you know what you're doing, go for it, but theres no shame in knowing a little incantation and negation to deal with gates and mastery gone wrong.

12 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

I personal think familiar, gate and mastery magic should only be focused on after understanding the basics of the game.

My suggestion is play one character just to understand and experiment how the game works maybe till midterm exams so that you also see how much time you have to get your study up.

I think I shall do as you say. Create a new Bellatrix without dabbling in the dark side. Just to get used to the world.

Quick question, I notice you can take cookery, is this magical cookery or potion making etc?

I like the idea of making potions :) 

Archived