Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Update 96

von_Lipstig

22 minutes ago, TwoHeavens said:

Option 1 for sure, it's only fair to engage them on their own terms. Whether you're telling the truth or not, that I do not think they'll expect.

Though thinking about it a proper booby trap could be highly amusing. Captains regardless of your voting, how would you booby trap these light fingered, larcenous, but still lovely, ladies?

Painting the eye piece of something irresistible to steal like the sextant would be a classic but for me I think I would have to plant false information. Wildly false. They're spies as well as thieves after all, so a journal with all sorts of nonsense in it, a fake love letter from a somewhat scandalous belle. All easily disprovable in such a way as to make them look rather silly. Too bad camera technology isn't what I'm sure it one day will be. Catching one of them thieving in a photo would be priceless. 

For me it is between option 1, 2 and 5.  I believe Option 5 will just restart this whole set and give them an opportunity to redirect the conversation.  Unfortunately, Option 1 only seems worth your while if it's not a bluff, and since the captain appeared to not notice their repetitive antics before they mentioned the contest, I fear he has yet to give that order to the crew.  So both of those are out, leaving option 2.  While it may be a bluff, watching their reaction will be highly amusing.  I Vote option 2.

1 minute ago, TwoHeavens said:

Though thinking about it a proper booby trap could be highly amusing. Captains regardless of your voting, how would you booby trap these light fingered, larcenous, but still lovely, ladies?

Painting the eye piece of something irresistible to steal like the sextant would be a classic but for me I think I would have to plant false information. Wildly false. They're spies as well as thieves after all, so a journal with all sorts of nonsense in it, a fake love letter from a somewhat scandalous belle. All easily disprovable in such a way as to make them look rather silly. Too bad camera technology isn't what I'm sure it one day will be. Catching one of them thieving in a photo would be priceless. 

I think in terms of booby traps, an easily malfunctioning fountain pen, made as a replica of a rather important one... When you start writing it sprays ink the wrong way, and the thief is painted.  I do enjoy the false journal entries idea.  "Dear diary, Today I discovered that Surcouf has stolen something very important of mine.  Tomorrow I shall ask her to return it, and if she doesn't I will have Espero steal it back for a reward."

57 minutes ago, TwoHeavens said:

Novelty sparking cigarettes and a spring-loaded snake in a champagne bottle. :P

Hi ho!

Option #5 for me, please. 

Why so? Reasons in the spoiler.

Option #1 is invalid because the captain only knew of the contest at that very moment, so the ransacking would be clearly seen as a ruse.

Option #2 would mean he would have noticed the disappearance of any item, thus granting victory to one of the Belles.

Option #3 and #4 are mostly for those supporting either Espero or Surcouf, but the forcing defeat would be unjust as neither actually stole the pen. And I as Captain would not be as such.

Thus, option #5 is my choice.

Also, here's a dialogue that I wrote for choice #5.

I hope you enjoy it!

(Also, to Minetta and BCS: if you enjoy this dialogue and think it to be a good piece for the dialogue's continuation, you have my permission to use it. I know the authors would also have to be in agreement with this - I didn't want to disrespect their work, but I had a lot of fun and care in writing this part, probably the same they'd place on theirs, and hope that, if they agree with the perspective and effort, it could complement their work)

Espero: Capitano?... Why bringing up the question again?

Captain: Because the snatched items, while out of my reach, are in safe hands. Correct?

Espero: Correct.

Surcouf: C'est vrai.

Captain: However, the fountain pen is not. Surcouf does not have it because she believes you, Espero, stole it from me.

Captain: But it is not the case, "n'est pas"?

Surcouf: As correct as your french...meaning?

Captain: Meaning that the item in question is truly missing. And since I noticed that it's with neither of you, you've reached a tie...

Captain: You both failed to surpass one another.

Surcouf: ...I guess we did.

Espero: *Sigh*... Molto bene. That was quite perceptive.

Captain: And with that in equal agreement...

Surcouf:?...

Espero:?...

Captain: Your shared punishment will be finding the missing fountain pen, all the while returning the missing items in your care. 

Captain: All stealing contests will be void until the two of you return me the missing pen in unison.

Espero: Come?!?

Surcouf: But...

Captain: Now, if you'll both excuse me, I must return to my daily duties.

Captain: Good searching, dears!

*Captain leaves the conversation*

Espero:...

Surcouf: ...I love how our Capitaine outsmart us sometimes.

Espero: Infatti.

23 hours ago, Panay's Ghost said:

Novelty sparking cigarettes and a spring-loaded snake in a champagne bottle. :P

All sorts of possible "loads" one can plant in a cigarette or cigarillo. They're both smokers so leaving a pack or case of the "good stuff" is obvious bait. Unfortunately naval tradition involving pranks connected to the ship itself simply won't work, considering the ship is the target, however getting one Belle aboard the other doesn't seem to be an issue, so perhaps traps could be arranged for each Belle on each other's ship. Playing into their vanity and their competitive natures of course make that do able. "I've decided how I want to resolve things with your contest with Surcouf. Here's what you're to do. You have complete discression of course, but you musn't be seen by her crew." Set the watches up in such away that Espero is driven where you want her to go... into a generous dusting of flower for example. Then ask her completely innocent questions the next morning about if she's heard these rumors going about the fleet of a ghost aboard one of the ships. (Just make sure U-29 isn't in ear shot or is in on it.)

Lots of lovely options honestly.

Dang it!! both Option 1 and Option 2 are Great  i'm having trouble picking which to go for.

[edit] after thinking bout it for a few hours i'll pick #2 it sounds a bit more fun XD

Archived