Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 109: Captain's Association Duo: Hiryū & Bulldog! Or the airing of grievances

TwoHeavens

a6dd5e986db624634f4d9e5c0f7ba27c_original.png.314884f0d9f414e92d5f4d8860f4d912.pngf4761971150b06c1bcd90795d8e45cbf_original.png.201cbedd6ff6126354b42dd075591ec2.png

Link

Apparently festivus has come early this year! Before we get on to the feats of strength, I'll vote for number two, might as well rip this band aid all the way off, then reward the Belles with a traditional festivus meal.

Captains, for your convenience the options are once again...

Question: 
Captain: 
1: I’m proud of all of you for holding your fire over the last twenty minutes. Well done. 
2: I have a few more grievances to air. I actually have some visual aids prepared back in my quarters... 
3: Note that reprisals against Hiryū and Bulldog are not acceptable, and in some of your cases might represent significant breaches of the neutrality agreement.
4: I've waited so long for all this. So very long.
5: I’ll make sure there’s an open bar for the next hour. Thanks for your patience.
6: I want you all to conduct thorough security checks when you return to your own stations. I can’t believe that [Redacted] doesn't have something to do with this.
7: Surcouf. Espero. Return the whistles to their rightful owners until Gneisenau and Scharnhorst have left the room. It’s a matter of public safety.

Unfortunately BCS, I have a few grammar complaints to lodge before I make my vote.  The first is merely a missed word in one of Hiryu's quotes. "In these lectures, I encourage those listening to leave behind decadent and irresponsible practices [and/to] live healthier and more moral lives."

The second is to do with the Romaji transliteration of the Japanese.  Early on, you spell words with the long お vowel as such:  "Senchou. Youkoso" 
Later on, however, you actually switch the spelling to use the accented long お: Yōkoso 

It would be nice if you could choose one spelling and stick to it.  I also noticed that in some cases the Japanese was italicized, and in some it wasn't.  Once again, consistency is key.

Now that that's all out of the way, I did actually enjoy the update, as quite a few of these girls really do need an intervention...  While option 6 seems like a lure, the only real appeal to it is that [redacted], and with no clues as to her identity (besides possible kleptomania or frequent sabotage) I'm afraid it hasn't endeared itself to me as much as option 1.  I do rather enjoy sarcasm such as that, even with the very high possibility that the next line will be "Thanks Captain!  Glad you appreciate our efforts.  We'll stop holding our fire now!"

In case it wasn't obvious, unless someone changes my mind before the voting closes, I'm in the option 1 camp.

1 hour ago, Ninjapacman said:

Unfortunately BCS, I have a few grammar complaints to lodge [...]

Great, I'm contagious?

Bulldog surprised me. She looks like a street mugger with her flick knives. And it made me rewatch her interview.

Option 7 has Gneis, and option 6 the french-japanese submarine Fujiko Lupin*, but Option 5 is just what A. Korky does, so Option 5 has my vote.

*See, that was easy Ninja.

Pupper is probably the type you never want to get her angry with you and her to turn those knives on you. Knows how to use them and well

@Legate of Mineta With any luck, the team will actually pick a route to use for the romanization.  It doesn’t particularly matter to me how you write it as long as you stick to it.  It’s funky if two different Japanese belles romanize the words differently, much more so if the same belle switches in a single set of dialogue.

On 14.7.2018 at 2:16 AM, Ninjapacman said:

@Legate of Mineta With any luck, the team will actually pick a route to use for the romanization.  It doesn’t particularly matter to me how you write it as long as you stick to it.  It’s funky if two different Japanese belles romanize the words differently, much more so if the same belle switches in a single set of dialogue.

Well if it is consistent within a Walküre, different romanization could be used to differentiate between Walküren from different home regions.

15 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Well if it is consistene within a Walküre, different romanization could be used to differentiate between Walküren from different home regions.

I wish that were the case, but different Romanization of the same sounds doesn't change the actual sound, so they're all speaking with the same accent anyways.  You'd have to actually mess with the Japanese itself for verbal tics like that.

20 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

I wish that were the case, but different Romanization of the same sounds doesn't change the actual sound, so they're all speaking with the same accent anyways.  You'd have to actually mess with the Japanese itself for verbal tics like that.

How does a brit write "colour" and how does a yank write it? Or let's just say it is very inconsistent inside the german landscape how it is written. So, yeah. I don't accept your counter argument is what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

How does a brit write "colour" and how does a yank write it? Or let's just say it is very inconsistent inside the german landscape how it is written. So, yeah. I don't accept your counter argument is what I'm saying.

That's not the matter here.
The different accents in Japanese don't really *write* things differently. Especially if we are already considering anything will then be romanized for readability.
The different accents in Japanese basically *speak* in a different way, like using different words altogether.

In fact, something similar(although it's not the same) can be observed in the way the Japanese belles address the captain.
While belles from other nations consistently use the same words in their respective language(Captain, Capitán, Capitano, Kapitän, etc), Japanese belles have like a dozen different ways, and each uses whichever she feels like.

On 15.7.2018 at 2:06 AM, Ninjapacman said:

[...] they're all speaking with the same accent anyways.  [...]

Have you heard all of them yet?

On 15.7.2018 at 11:43 PM, Dmnt said:

The different accents [...]
The different accents [...]

53 minutes ago, TwoHeavens said:

[...] translating Japanese accents [...]

Okinii, for your misunderstanding. 
I wrote "different home regions", you understood accents.

No. As you can see above I know a word or two Kansai. And I didn't mean accents. I meant home regions.

And I dragged in zhe dschermens to highlight this point. But that was probably lost. And it is very similar in german as you can see in my fanfic.

The actual accent they're speaking could be vastly different, but for example the japanese Walküren are taught in Sasebo to us "ou" and in Yokosuka to use "ū", when writing in romaji to be readable by their INPF colleagues. No matter where they come from.Their actual accent wouldn't matter a bit.

Archived