Black Chicken Studios Forums

Getting expelled

Impet

I played through to getting expelled. I had to be really bad to do it (resting through punishments with grim determination) but I got my Court, had my hearing, and failed my flattery attempt. I -think- the last text on the final screen before I pressed continue was Orsi saying to my character, lets get this over with, shall we? - but not totally sure.

However, when I pressed next, I went to a credits screen. (I've been wanting to see a credits screen for some time, so that in itself is fine!). I kinda expected to see some text about actually getting expelled, not sure what, but... something. It had the feel of 'fell off a cliff and your dead, there is nothing else'.

While that makes for a fine discouragement, and there's significant psychological reasons to probably not glorify failure or make it interesting to explore, it still seemed and felt... empty. Not worth exploring, nothing to see here, don't want to go there again. That's maybe good, just... doesn't feel like the rest of the game at all.

Working as intended?

Impet;

It is, yes -it is possible not to be expelled,

Oh, yes. I way trying to get expelled. This character never attended class or befriended anyone, and mostly just explored in the highest discovery place I started the game knowing (hoping to find higher chances of discovery places) or rested once he got grounded. I'd have expelled this kid :) He had no redeeming features, never tried to be anything but a bad student at all. Guess I'll test 'great kid going through a rough patch' shortly, and see if I can get almost but not quite expelled. Am hunting typos and studying game mechanics, gotta see it all! :blush:

Oh, yes. I way trying to get expelled. This character never attended class or befriended anyone, and mostly just explored in the highest discovery place I started the game knowing (hoping to find higher chances of discovery places) or rested once he got grounded. I'd have expelled this kid ;) He had no redeeming features, never tried to be anything but a bad student at all. Guess I'll test 'great kid going through a rough patch' shortly, and see if I can get almost but not quite expelled. Am hunting typos and studying game mechanics, gotta see it all! :lol:

I've had a character who just kept failing... at everything... her days became filled with detentions and she couldn't seem to not lose merit... and who skipped classes because she'd (finally) mastered the skills in them only to end up with more detentions... I gave up eventually I couldn't do anything and they wanted to expell her... and she was a good girl... x.x

I kept hoping there'd be a hidden dynamic that would allow my character to cut a few classes after she'd risen to the top, but no--she was expected to sit in, even if she already knew it all. That seems a bit stiff, as does giving detention for a character who incurs injuries and therefore misses detention.

I agree with ya on the subject;

There should be something added for the kids who are top off their class. Simply sitting in a classroom would only bore them and make them lose interest, which is the oposite of what the school "should" want.

I also mentioned my preferrence for this before and thought of several things that could be set into motion upon reaching a 10;

1) Special testing; if you succeed the maximum skill is raised till 15, which could be explained as getting more advanced material to process, while still having to sit in class. (you'd have to be able to ask the teacher for help right. :lol: ) Off course lvl 11-15 would be at least 2x as hard to reach the new lvl. You are after all trying to learn stuff you shouldn't be able to learn at your age. (off course this would still be influenced by the attributes. So with an intelligence 9 most steps would still only take 1 step, but hey you are a freakin genius. <_< )

2) Special Leave; If you raise the maximum skill till 10 (of at least three subjects), you can conver with the teacher and the headmaster. If they agree you will be allowed skip the afternoon classes so you can spend your time studying more efficiently in the library. (yeah right! ;) ) This would also lower the chance of being caught somewhere out of place as the rumor of an exceptional scholar spreads quickly and people are more curious then angry/scared/annoyed of you.

3) Will come later, I will be picked up in several minutes. Sorry.

Enlightened schools is a very good thing for the Student. :)

In Year 2 there will be a new concept for Students who excel at their Classes (and for those that did so in Year 1)- it won't be leave, but it will be something different than Class. :)

I don't believe we will be able to institute any changes in Class in Year 1.

Archived