Black Chicken Studios Forums

Y2?

Vouru

Plans, yes, but ultimately Y2 would only be the second year out of the planned five, so if Y2 not being out is a problem for you than chances are once it comes out Y3 not being out will be(come) a problem, and than Y4, and than Y5, and by that point if my grandchildren (well, grandnieces at any rate) are still alive I'd be surprised.

Basically, ask yourself this: Can you play something like a Bethesda game without ever touching the major questlines at all, beyond what part of the main questline constitutes the game's intro sequence, and have fun without feeling like the game (insofar that you played it) was missing anything resembling a coherent and engaging story? If yes, chances are you can enjoy Academagia (although whether you will is of course a completely separate question). If no, I'd recommend skipping it.

I just wonder how you ever could read books or watch tv movies as near all of them have some part of the story unfinished so they can make a follow up while it is unsure if this follow up will ever be released.

Currently I read a story about a magic school where even the 1st year is split over 7 books (each costing US-$8 as e-book). Compare to this 7 books your character in Academagia can live trough a lot more if you focus on Adventures so over all the price of Academagia is a steal. Sure some of the Story don't have a real end but  for each adventure chain you can reach some kind of ending in Y1and although it is uncommon, it is sure not unheard of that students leave the school after the 1st year.

@Schwarzbart

I'm not sure what you mean. There are far more completed books, TV series, movies, and games then incomplete ones.
My point is if the story never actually finishes and if I've read correctly the 17 DLC's are fan created. Then why should I give my time and money to a developer that has made exactly 1 other game in the 10 years since it has released this one?

The DLCs contain both fan-made content as well as content made by the Team. And the former goes through the Team's checking and editing before being added, for what that's worth.

As for Academagia's story, in it's current form it doesn't have a defined story (nor a defined ending) so much as it is a narrative sandbox - you can take your character as far as your imagination is able to take it, or only as far as you're able to get until the game ends after Kaliri 28th. If you expect to see a full story about what happens to the major players in town and what effect your character can have on them, don't pick up the game. Y1 contains nothing of the sort. Y1 contains the introductions for said major players and rest of the setting, and a whirlwind of stuff for you to play with/off against in the sandbox.

In short: Academagia requires you to write about as much as it requires you to read, in it's current state. If that means no deal, just skip the game. There's plenty more out there.

@Vouru If you don't like it that there isn't a continue then just don't play the game! But public try to justify stealing a big bundle of "chose your own adventure" short stories, where the developer have put in thousends of man hours work into it,  is just plain wrong! If entertainment have a value of 0 to you then steal it, even if there is other entertainment out there that you actual could get for free without stealing. But as you correct saying there countless other entertainment out there that 1 live time isn't enough to get trough them and that make me wonder why you bother at all with a game you say you don't like!!!!

@Schwarzbart

Never said I didn't like it (though the UI is crap), said that if the dev didn't care to finish their Choose your own adventure novel or hell release Y2 in the 10 years since the initial release why should I not (theoretically) steal it?

But that aside, thank you for your advice. I never figured some one here would actually tell me to steal it because and I quote:

2 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

If entertainment have a value of 0 to you then steal it, even if there is other entertainment out there that you actual could get for free without stealing.

To be blunt there is never a good reason to steal entertainment as they all come down to greed! If your stupid and  going public about stealing things then you only make it awkward for the people reading your imagined reasons and dangerous for your self! All your other talk in the forum became worthless the moment you started to talk about stealing the game! Even worse you devalued any good criticism you might have here about the game for other with your talk about stealing.

Beside that in my experience when people try to justify why they stealing a digital good they are always going trough with the deed when someone try to counter their reason.

• Like 1

If you like something, then you ought to support it. The devs haven't abandoned Y2. They are just a fairly small team, working on a project that is quite enormous in scope. I think that the team have come upon a lot of unforseen obstacles. Over the years, despite the team's secrecy, bits and pieces have emerged which show that the team have been working toward Y2's completion. I would wager that Y2 is about 95% done at this time, with a few details still needed to be implemented, and lots of polish and bug fixing remaining. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In vouru's defense I myself only start reading the first book in a series of fantasy novels after the second book has been published.

However that has left me trapped in a cliffhangar for a decade plenty of times in my life anyways, with things like wheel of time, game of thrones, patrick roftfuss, etc.

IMO year1 is actually a complete story. Sort of like the star wars trilogy is a complete story and the 2nd and 3rd trilogies actually didn't do pretty much anything at all to enhance the original star wars trilogy's story. (I liked the clone wars and the reboot trilogy both just fine, they were just separate stories, that was supposed to be my point, but I realized my sentence might've made me seem like a hater).

So in that sense y1 is like the original dragonlance trilogy or some such and y2 is all the other dragonlance trilogies that had separate plots entirely. (And again here, the twins trilogy is really awesome imo, even though the most famous is the original trilogy in DL, again separate stories.).

In other words your point almost makes sense on the surface, except that a) stealing is bad and b) actually wait no your point doesn't even make sense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the game and am more than willing to believe it  hasn't been abandoned but what would really help with that are regular updates. every month a sign of live that some work has been done. just a small beacon of hope that Y2 will at some point exist. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I really like the game and am more than willing to believe it  hasn't been abandoned but what would really help with that are regular updates. every month a sign of live that some work has been done. just a small beacon of hope that Y2 will at some point exist. 

We who love the game but are not on the Team all agree, I think.