Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 87: Captain's Association: A Party to Remember, Part II

Käpt'n Korky

Here you go with the latest update.

Well the mystery Bell seems to be Soviet, considering how she adresses the captain. (Not british, like some smart folks on the discord thought.)

Who she could be, i have an idea, but no real evidence. Yet.

About Sinterklaas!

Yes! Sinterklaas! :D

Why do I get excited. Well in Germany is a veery similar tradition. The dutch Sinterklaas, in our case probably Canarias, also needs a zwarte Piet. I recommend HMS Nubian or, if she is annoyed by it, a black faced Diether von Roeder. The latter version would be closer to the living tradition. She also would give all the naughty captains real trouble for being naughty. ^^ 

Another thing I decided to not to bite my tongue here, because it's all fun and games anyway. If there is at any point any mentioning of the Nikolaus (the German Sinterklaas), I highly recommend Yavuz for the role, because of the origin of the real St. Nikolaus in Turkey. Another thing would be interesting, because Germany in itself is divided by whom the Nikolaus is accompanied. Either a very grumpy old man or a demon. Both to punish the naughty kids... or captains or sometimes just to carry the stuff of Nikolaus. 
(And don't ask what's the name of the grumpy one is.... there are several. I personally am used to the grumpy old man who goes by the name Knecht Ruprecht.)

And who would come up with the KM Niklaus idea? Yavuz/Goeben herself? Someone else? Nürnberg feeling provoked by some dutch topping her on christmas traditions.

I'm so exited for the third part. Even if I don't really expect any german traditions to pop up. Not exotic enough.

6 minutes ago, RockyArby said:

Sadly I can't see any use of black face coming from an American company that doesn't want to invite scandal on itself (black face has a very negative rep over here). 

Yeah, there is a sometimes heated debate in the Netherlands about the zwarte Piet for pretty much the exact same reasons as black facing has a very negative rep pretty much everywhere. I just wanted to mention it and the possibilities, not insult anyone or something like that.

And I think I know who the [redacted] Belle is. The connection is thin, but fits.

34 minutes ago, Ninjapacman said:

I wonder if the third Christmas update includes a present for us in the form of a detailed update...

And the present of a beta since its suppose to come in mid December, if not we still have fanart

45 minutes ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Why do I get excited. Well in Germany is a veery similar tradition. The dutch Sinterklaas, in our case probably Canarias, also needs a zwarte Piet. I recommend HMS Nubian or, if she is annoyed by it, a black faced Diether von Roeder. The latter version would be closer to the living tradition. She also would give all the naughty captains real trouble for being naughty. ^^ 

The only reason i could see why Nubian (or Axum or New Orleans) wouldn't be up for the part would be typecasting - as in, that's the only part she gets to play in the festivities and solely due to her complexion. 

That said, getting to own the role and be Sinterklass' Assistant, Hunter of the Naughty and/ or Bringer of Goodies?  Why not?   

20 minutes ago, RockyArby said:

Sadly I can't see any use of black face coming from an American company that doesn't want to invite scandal on itself (black face has a very negative rep over here). 

14 minutes ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Yeah, there is a sometimes heated debate in the Netherlands about the zwarte Piet for pretty much the exact same reasons as black facing has a very negative rep pretty much everywhere. I just wanted to mention it and the possibilities, not insult anyone or something like that.

Zwarte Piet is by tradition a Spanish moor, right?  That would probably be the better role for Canarias, based on her dark mood. Hold the makeup, bring in Velasco to play Sinterklaas, and the day is saved :P.

Or call in Camicia Nera - instead of black face, Black Shirt alone should suffice.  She's already been shown to enjoy bringing terror (see Halloween)...so why not to the folks on the Naughty List? ;)

Unfortunately chaps and chapesses we are another week without a vote barring a weekend update as this update is more of Mississippi's Christmas party. We have hints of a mystery Belle who follows one of the very old religions of the Middle East, Fubuki has magicked some trees aboard, and Leningrad has a unique challenge for our artists with a very special prize.

That said even if I could art I'm not sure I'd take up the challenge, tempting as Leningrad's affections might be. Mostly because I'm convinced Canarias would coalesce to stomp you a new mud hole, if not out right kill you. She's a sweet girl, but pushing your luck could have lethal consequences.

And I disagree with your theory Herr Korky, that our mystery Belle is Soviet. "Kapitan" isn't much of a give away in my mind, and she never uses terminology like tovarisch. Which would be a dead give away. However there's two issues beyond all that.

1. I'm not sure the USSR ever had dominion over a region where Zoroastrianism was ever the dominant faith, or was still in active practice. (It is in fact still in practice world wide interestingly enough.)

2. Even if it had religion was brutally suppressed in the USSR. That'd go for Belles too. If Nerpa was on the Soviet Navy's shit list an actively practising religious Belle would be in even deeper fecal material.

15 minutes ago, TwoHeavens said:

Unfortunately chaps and chapesses we are another week without a vote barring a weekend update as this update is more of Mississippi's Christmas party. We have hints of a mystery Belle who follows one of the very old religions of the Middle East, Fubuki has magicked some trees aboard, and Leningrad has a unique challenge for our artists with a very special prize.

That said even if I could art I'm not sure I'd take up the challenge, tempting as Leningrad's affections might be. Mostly because I'm convinced Canarias would coalesce to stomp you a new mud hole, if not out right kill you. She's a sweet girl, but pushing your luck could have lethal consequences.

And I disagree with your theory Herr Korky, that our mystery Belle is Soviet. "Kapitan" isn't much of a give away in my mind, and she never uses terminology like tovarisch. Which would be a dead give away. However there's two issues beyond all that.

1. I'm not sure the USSR ever had dominion over a region where Zoroastrianism was ever the dominant faith, or was still in active practice. (It is in fact still in practice world wide interestingly enough.)

2. Even if it had religion was brutally suppressed in the USSR. That'd go for Belles too. If Nerpa was on the Soviet Navy's shit list an actively practising religious Belle would be in even deeper fecal material.

In Prointern's interview she had a Torah though she didn't answer when Mahan asked if she considered herself Jewish. So there may be one religious soviet Belle.

19 minutes ago, TwoHeavens said:

And I disagree with your theory Herr Korky, that our mystery Belle is Soviet.

I told you and Ninja on the discord* who I think she is and will tell it in a spoiler, when the last of these festive update hits.

*I still love how the community uses practically a Morgana themed App to communicate.

15 hours ago, RockyArby said:

In Prointern's interview she had a Torah though she didn't answer when Mahan asked if she considered herself Jewish. So there may be one religious soviet Belle.

Soviet Russia goes back only 20 years in 1939.  The traditions of the local folk and the human culture of places go back millennia.  I have no trouble at all imagining Soviet Belles that give Comrade Stalin heartburn.  Seriously, for every Mahan, Leningrad, and Nurnburg who toe the party line, we have Belles like New Orleans (black) and Graf Spee (honorable) whose very existence as they are is a finger in the eye of the current rulers of their respective states.

6 hours ago, DrYuriMom said:

Soviet Russia goes back only 20 years in 1939.  The traditions of the local folk and the human culture of places go back millennia.  I have no trouble at all imagining Soviet Belles that give Comrade Stalin heartburn.  Seriously, for every Mahan, Leningrad, and Nurnburg who toe the party line, we have Belles like New Orleans (black) and Graf Spee (honorable) whose very existence as they are is a finger in the eye of the current rulers of their respective states.

Most of the other powers don't have the USSR's well deserved reputation for re educating or erasing "problematic" individuals, no matter how useful they they are. I have no doubt the USSR would scuttle or otherwise correct rogue Belles. Even if that fix is just de facto exile with the INPF until such a time as more drastic measures are required.

2 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

V_L;

Vote is held on this Wednesday, but it looks like no go. More as I learn it!

I mean even if it is a no go. That an actual vote is held already says there was a lot of progress. Which is good to know. Still hoping for a christmas miracle though :P

Archived