Jump to content
Black Chicken Studios Forums

Help needed to create my first student :)


Von-Wulfen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all. I have still yet to start a full game. There are so many options when creating a character to choose. Being a first-time player and despite reading numerous guides I am still extremely confused as to the best way to build my first student. I still have no idea what creation options synergize best with your stats and other character creation options.
I wish to RP the early years of Bellatrix Lestrange. Obsessed with uncovering secrets and forgotten or forbidden magic that will help propel her to be a force to reckon with.
A character extremely strong in magic but also good at uncovering secrets.
I would also like her to have a cat familiar, though I have read that if you have a familiar you have to use a lot of time on the familiar but as a result, you will suffer in terms of grades for not attending classes?

Can you acquire familiars if you don't choose one at the start later in the game?
But to the point, would anyone be so kind as to help me spend my points wisely when creating my Bellatrix Lestrange?

 

Cheers :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perfecting character creation is something you can only do when you know ahead of time what you'll be facing in terms of adventures/random events, and it takes many a playthrough to learn that since you're attending a specific class/college or have a certain skill level or relationship level or about a dozen other things you qualify for X event that has a good thing behind option Y and therefore you should to invest in skill Z to pass it unless you're planning on using strategy ß which means you're better off focussing on Insert Thing Here æ and so on and so forth.

Until that point just grab a line of 2's in your attributes (at least) and see where the RNG takes you. You don't have to get everything right to get to the end of Kaliri, you just have to not get expelled.

Familiars take a large investment of time to train and get anything out of, and honestly the time you invest into them isn't going to pay back in Y1. Hence why newcomers ought to get either Pamela or Pebbles and just ignore them. It's not that investing in your Familiar inherently lowers your grades or anything, it's just a time investment.

You can acquire a new Familiar ingame, but that method can't get you a cat specifically, and it'd take time to do. If you want a Familiar, just get one at CC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Metis said:

Perfecting character creation is something you can only do when you know ahead of time what you'll be facing in terms of adventures/random events, and it takes many a playthrough to learn that since you're attending a specific class/college or have a certain skill level or relationship level or about a dozen other things you qualify for X event that has a good thing behind option Y and therefore you should to invest in skill Z to pass it unless you're planning on using strategy ß which means you're better off focussing on Insert Thing Here æ and so on and so forth.

Until that point just grab a line of 2's in your attributes (at least) and see where the RNG takes you. You don't have to get everything right to get to the end of Kaliri, you just have to not get expelled.

Familiars take a large investment of time to train and get anything out of, and honestly the time you invest into them isn't going to pay back in Y1. Hence why newcomers ought to get either Pamela or Pebbles and just ignore them. It's not that investing in your Familiar inherently lowers your grades or anything, it's just a time investment.

You can acquire a new Familiar ingame, but that method can't get you a cat specifically, and it'd take time to do. If you want a Familiar, just get one at CC.

Many thanks for the info on the familiar. I will skip the familiar in my first game. 

Reading on the website it quotes " Cast Spells from the five Pillars of Magic, or learn the Forbidden Arts". Are these forbidden arts tied to a particular magic discipline as the text implies that if you choose to learn forbidden arts you can't also study the five pillars of magic?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That text...hang on, Artifice/Astrology/Glamour/Incantation/Negation/Revision? That's six...um, that text is complete nonsense, forget about it. And no, that's not an exclusive or, illegal and legal magic aren't mutually exclusive. Illegal magic in this game, at least the most visible stuff constitutes the two now forbidden schools, Gates and Mastery. There's illegal stuff in otherwise legal pillars as well, Negating magic itself for instance, but that isn't as prominent. Both mechanically and in the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Metis said:

That text...hang on, Artifice/Astrology/Glamour/Incantation/Negation/Revision? That's six...um, that text is complete nonsense, forget about it. And no, that's not an exclusive or, illegal and legal magic aren't mutually exclusive. Illegal magic in this game, at least the most visible stuff constitutes the two now forbidden schools, Gates and Mastery. There's illegal stuff in otherwise legal pillars as well, Negating magic itself for instance, but that isn't as prominent. Both mechanically and in the story.

So is Gates where the Dark Side exists?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Academagia doesn't have a literal Dark Side to it's magic, it's all just stuff you can do good or bad things with depending on how/when/why/whatever you do it. Mind you, if you want to banish your enemies to the void between dimensions you'd use Gates, and if you want to visit the void yourself you'd also use Gates, so in a manner of speaking :P...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dyrhet said:

Mastery is probably the most "classically" evil magic though, given that it involves controlling other human beings and pretty much everyone who practices it (with the exception of one group in one adventure) seems to be a cackling looney.

So do I choose Mastery as a class when joining a college? Cheers :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

Hint for Gate Magic there is the Secret Background and for Mastery is the Purple Academy of Thai both background that give you training location after completing a adventure.

Although be prepared that both will ask for a price in later years you might not be willing to pay. 

Oh? I hadn't heard about this, although seems logical that dappling with forbidden magic would have a price.

Has it been hinted how flexible this "price" is? I mean, is it possible to adjust the outcome of the event or even whether the event will occur at all in the same way depending on circumstances? Personally I use the Secret Background, and considering it apparently takes highest priority in determining the summer events for the PC, I'd be disappointed if it was just as simple as: because of A, B will happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the secret background it was mentioned already that it will take a full time slot each class day to continue your study in year 2 but they didn't go into details what continue attending the school will cost you beside that.

For the Purple Academy you probably will start study there during your summer break from the 2nd to the 3rd year but about the price there is nothing special known but I can hint that its game ending when you fail the final test during summer break year 4-5. So study your mastery when you go this path ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

For the secret background it was mentioned already that it will take a full time slot each class day to continue your study in year 2 but they didn't go into details what continue attending the school will cost you beside that.

For the Purple Academy you probably will start study there during your summer break from the 2nd to the 3rd year but about the price there is nothing special known but I can hint that its game ending when you fail the final test during summer break year 4-5. So study your mastery when you go this path ^^

Thanks for the clarification. Not quite the "price" I was imagining, at least for Gates. Guess I can sacrifice one time slot (out of four total, right?) for Gates on class days. Hopefully, any events in addition to that are not so dire as an outright game end if you fail the rolls/conditions.

Not really interested in Mastery. Gates seemingly has much more utility and I can see it as having ethical use, Mastery not so much. Synchronicity takes care of that, and I did the adventure for that. Hopefully Gates has as interesting adventures in year 2 as that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

We have 1 more time slot per day in year 2 but at a cost (I suspect it is usual filled with doing homework)

Right, I remember reading about that. Hopefully being an honors student makes you more efficient at homework, if it indeed is homework as you suspected. Otherwise my already time strapped schedule is reaching it's breaking point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

Hint for Gate Magic there is the Secret Background and for Mastery is the Purple Academy of Thai both background that give you training location after completing a adventure.

Although be prepared that both will ask for a price in later years you might not be willing to pay. 

I did see an option for gates in creation but it gives you a permanent 1 in stress. So as this is my first try I avoided it :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

I am just creating a new Bellatrix :) Need help to choose optionally classes.

As I am completely new to the game I'm not sure what skills are important. My character must be strong in magic, mischievous, sneaky, adventurous and always trying to find hidden secrets and Dark Magic. But I would also like them to be good academically and do well in class.
This is my first attempt at creating my Bellatrix and this is what I choose when I created her:
1. Two points in each: Fitness, Finesse, Luck, Intelligence, and Insight. (strength & Charm remain at One point)
2. "Where do you come from". I choose Born at Midnight.
3. "What was your family life like". I choose Family: Wizards
4. "What sort of things did you do". I choose Deed: Bane of Bakerles
5 "What kind of education did you have".  I Choose: Tutoring: Magic
I did not choose a familiar, Inheritance or anything happen on my journey.
I choose Durand as My college. Compulsory classes are:
Botany, Dialectic, and negation.
Could anyone please help me choose the 3 additional classes that would best suit the character I have described above?
I believe one should be revision, but would very much appreciate guidance and the other 2 classes I should take :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Botany is Insight, Dialectic is Intelligence, Negation is Fitness

Dialectic study mastery gives Insight

I would consider Zoology as this study mastery give Fitness and Music as this study mastery gives Intelligence

Revision is never a bad skill as beginner. (later when you know the game better you probably avoid it like I do)

Tip for music there is adventure where you lend a book that you have to start as soon as possible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

Botany is Insight, Dialectic is Intelligence, Negation is Fitness

Dialectic study mastery gives Insight

I would consider Zoology as this study mastery give Fitness and Music as this study mastery gives Intelligence

Revision is never a bad skill as beginner. (later when you know the game better you probably avoid it like I do)

Tip for music there is adventure where you lend a book that you have to start as soon as possible. 

Cheers Sch. Is Arithmetic important for a character based on magic? So far I have sort of chosen Incantation and Revision, could I drop Arithmetic and choose Zoology without it impacting on my studies? As in the Arithmetic descripion, it says " This understanding is of vast importance for the study of magic. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Von-Wulfen said:

1. Two points in each: Fitness, Finesse, Luck, Intelligence, and Insight. (strength & Charm remain at One point)

I believe the general consensus is that, rather than directly choosing attributes, choose options that boost subskills as well as attributes. For example, Astrology: The Comet boost Luck as well as Pure Luck subskill and the chance of success for all skills. It really depends on how much you want to min-max and how much you RP. You're creating your character based on Bellatrix, so some options might not fit in with the character, such as Family: Sky Pirates, that might otherwise be a good option.

 

24 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

Revision is never a bad skill as beginner. (later when you know the game better you probably avoid it like I do)

I know that certain skills can be very easily learned from abilities, rather than class, but does this affect your ability to choose year 2 classes based on those skills? Incantation, for example, is a great skill to learn from Esteban's, but it's also a skill I consider important for my character to study in future years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

Botany is Insight, Dialectic is Intelligence, Negation is Fitness

Dialectic study mastery gives Insight

I would consider Zoology as this study mastery give Fitness and Music as this study mastery gives Intelligence

Revision is never a bad skill as beginner. (later when you know the game better you probably avoid it like I do)

Tip for music there is adventure where you lend a book that you have to start as soon as possible. 

Is music the only class to give Intelligence?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marcus said:

I believe the general consensus is that, rather than directly choosing attributes, choose options that boost subskills as well as attributes. For example, Astrology: The Comet boost Luck as well as Pure Luck subskill and the chance of success for all skills. It really depends on how much you want to min-max and how much you RP. You're creating your character based on Bellatrix, so some options might not fit in with the character, such as Family: Sky Pirates, that might otherwise be a good option.

 

I know that certain skills can be very easily learned from abilities, rather than class, but does this affect your ability to choose year 2 classes based on those skills? Incantation, for example, is a great skill to learn from Esteban's, but it's also a skill I consider important for my character to study in future years.

The Legate told us that our students also can do a test before year 2 starts if the year 1 skills are good enough for a advanced class in year 2 if we didn't take it as class.

@Von-Wulfen So far Arithmetic have no importance unless you want to join Vernin in year 2 but we also didn't get the requirements for the year 2 class so far.

Incantation is Finesse based and Finesse is more difficult to get via adventures then Insight or Intelligence so I don't think its such a good skill for the first game although there some interesting spells thought there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...