Black Chicken Studios Forums

Chances of Success Increases Questions

Rhialto

So, I was thinking of creating an Aranaz Character built around the goal of getting as many Chance of Success Bonuses (generic) in one game. I hope that such a character could have time to play some adventures also.

So far, I am aware of the following such bonuses:

From Aranaz and Durand (Ability) - 2%

From Natural Curiosity (Ability) - 1%

From a Background option - 1%

from Calculate Odds (Ability) - 10% (for 2 days)

from Lightning Reactions (Ability) - 3%

from Major Focus (Ability) - 1%

from Question Self (Ability) - 7% (for 3 days)

from getting Confidence Subskill to 11 unadjusted ranks - 1%

In addition, there are more limited chance of success bonuses that apply only to spells.

Good Form (Ability) - 1%

Mastery of Form (Ability) - 1%

I have some questions about all of these chance of success increase bonuses and if I missed any, please tell me.

1. Do bonuses for spells stack with general bonuses?

2. Do these bonuses apply to actions during adventures?

3. Do Hostile Action bonuses apply to actions in adventures such as wrestling with a certain person during one of the main adventures? Do they stack with bonuses to spells in adventures when the spells are hostile?

4. Assuming that one of my characters were to accumulate all of the above listed bonuses and that they stack, the result would be a character with a generic chance of success increase of 9% (11% for spells) that can easily be improved to 26% (28% for spells) temporarily. Would such bonuses make completing adventures for Aranaz College easier? So many Aranaz college adventures require high charm to do easily, and Cleanse and Remake is no guarantee of success.

Edited by Rhialto
I incorporated Metis's feedback - and improved my math

1. Yes, I assume they do.

2. Sources that add blanket CoS% (and theoretical sources that apply to something which includes the Adventure Action) do apply to all rolls made during adventures. Sources that do not include the Adventure Action do not, even if they logically should (I.E, casting a spell during an adventure does not benefit from +CoS% at casting spells).

3. No and no, see above.

4. Insofar that you'd have an X% chance to auto-pass any given roll during an adventure, sure. Personally I think that Cleanse and Remake spam + a source of Re-Roll (Sheary Warrington's Clique ability, Creative Approach or Seven Favors) would be a better way to make adventures easier, or failing that, an Avila character with Disorder the Heavens (Spell). Incidentally, did you forget about backgrounds? The Comet and Shattered Mirrors both add a blanket +1 CoS%...and how does 2+1+3+1=6, now that I look at it?

• Like 1

wow if seven favors allow those three rerolls per attribute to be cast on a single check if needs be then it is pretty good. It makes black or higher checks highly unlikely to be failed and even red and purple stand with a decent chance of success.

Plus you have three reroll PER attribute so that's basically three rerolls for  a 7 step adventure if it can be done in a single day or two and with some luck.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember some people said in the past that the True Holly Negation Wand is to weak but given what we know now the 10% CoS for all Negation spells it gives is quite extraordinary and probably should seek its equal even in later years. Especial if you get CoS from other sources as well like the 5% my current char got trough a favour from Prof Briardi.

We even have / had player who did go for a 3% or 5% chance to gain a attribute in Y1 and simply reload till they got what they wanted.