Black Chicken Studios Forums

Rhialto

@Metis has mentioned that some characters have strands of lores associated with them, and speculates that it was a scrapped mechanic to research characters. is this speculation true? And are there any plans to re-introduce a researching characters mechanic in Y2 or future years? It would be a nice way to represent in game and story PCs' growing more familiar with friends (or enemies) and could be used to unlock new options in dealing with them in adventures. I did something similar in a Y2 adventure dealing with Sima Venesico.

8 minutes ago, Metis said:

The .amo is the version 1.0 modbase, specifically. Since I don't think they're possible to unlock ingame (and therefore check what they say in the current DLC version) here's the lores as they were in DLC 15:

Hide contents

I:

The popular story about Prudence having eaten a bat has been exaggerated slightly. She was on one of her regular trips to her great aunt's shack (she's a bit of a hermit) when it happened. Sure, she ate some bat, but it was cooked and she hadn't thought to ask what the meat was before gobbling it down. The great aunt scrounged up whatever meat she could find, and happened to be a fan of bat meat herself.

Anyway, Prudence didn't find out until later what it was she had eaten, but she thought it was an interesting story and told one of her friends. The friend promptly told everyone else, constantly adding gross details with each retelling. This didn't exactly help Prudence's slightly anti-social nature.

II:

Prudence is able to play the simple melody "Hot Cross Buns" on over 30 different instruments, a list she is fond of recounting to her closer friends. She lacks the dedication to really stick to one instrument well enough to be very good, but music teachers tend to compliment her on how well she picks up new ones. She says that the only thing holding her up from increasing her list's size is the lack of new instruments to play.

III:

Prudence is very fond of animals. Though people may make fun of her, she can talk to most animals all day long and never really miss the responses she would get back from humans. She even says that wolves will sit and listen to her stories where people will not. This affinity for wolves has only hurt her twice out of nearly a hundred times, but one time was right after she had eaten that bat, and she guessed that the smell on her breath must have made the wolf attack her.

IV:

Prudence hates her name so much that she started to take actions to get rid of it. She wanted a new name, but she doesn't have enough friends to really get a new name and have other people use it. She has even thought about transferring to a normal school, just so she could get a fresh start and use a new name. Now, she feels a bit more secure about it, though.

V:

Prudence keeps it a surprisingly closely guarded secret that she enjoys fishing. She has caught well over fifty fish in her life, and even holds a few size records at individual ponds. She doesn't tell anyone, though, afraid of being considered even more of a tomboy than she already is.

VI:

Prudence has a small collection of nesting dolls, or matroshkas. She practices stacking them perfectly with magic. Her collection is kept carefully hidden under a floorboard in her dorm, but she has shown it to one or two close friends in the past.

VII:

Prudence's father died when she was young. She didn't know him that well, so it isn't especially traumatic for her, but she does think that the lack of a father figure for her may have made her more aggressive than she would be otherwise. Her mother acts more like a friend than a parent, so she doesn't really respect authority in general.

VIII:

Prudence has yet to kiss a boy. She finds this rather irritating, as she also believes that she must be the last in the class to have never done so (which isn't at all true). Boys are so frightened of her, and her tendencies to fight with them, that she isn't particularly successful at becoming close to them in general.

IX:

Several of the boys Prudence beat up were also the boys she liked. She can't explain why she does it, but one good guess is that the boys she likes are also the ones she talks to, and then the people she talks to are more likely to annoy her enough that she'll hit them. At least that's her best guess.

X:

Prudence can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst, and this makes her feel rather insecure about her eating habits. Though this is actually true for plenty of people, Prudence often decides to drink water when she isn't sure, because she's afraid of gaining weight when she isn't even hungry. This in turn increases the number of bathroom breaks she takes when out somewhere, which some people have made fun of her for.

I should add that very few, if any, other students have a series of lores like this that's specifically about them, so it's possible this is the remnant of some kind of idea (being able to Research your classmates?) that got scrapped pretty early on. If so expect a few continuity errors here and there.

For what it is worth, this is what @Metis wrote.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 1:40 PM, Metis said:

The .amo is the version 1.0 modbase, specifically. Since I don't think they're possible to unlock ingame (and therefore check what they say in the current DLC version) here's the lores as they were in DLC 15:

Reveal hidden contents

I:

The popular story about Prudence having eaten a bat has been exaggerated slightly. She was on one of her regular trips to her great aunt's shack (she's a bit of a hermit) when it happened. Sure, she ate some bat, but it was cooked and she hadn't thought to ask what the meat was before gobbling it down. The great aunt scrounged up whatever meat she could find, and happened to be a fan of bat meat herself.

Anyway, Prudence didn't find out until later what it was she had eaten, but she thought it was an interesting story and told one of her friends. The friend promptly told everyone else, constantly adding gross details with each retelling. This didn't exactly help Prudence's slightly anti-social nature.

II:

Prudence is able to play the simple melody "Hot Cross Buns" on over 30 different instruments, a list she is fond of recounting to her closer friends. She lacks the dedication to really stick to one instrument well enough to be very good, but music teachers tend to compliment her on how well she picks up new ones. She says that the only thing holding her up from increasing her list's size is the lack of new instruments to play.

III:

Prudence is very fond of animals. Though people may make fun of her, she can talk to most animals all day long and never really miss the responses she would get back from humans. She even says that wolves will sit and listen to her stories where people will not. This affinity for wolves has only hurt her twice out of nearly a hundred times, but one time was right after she had eaten that bat, and she guessed that the smell on her breath must have made the wolf attack her.

IV:

Prudence hates her name so much that she started to take actions to get rid of it. She wanted a new name, but she doesn't have enough friends to really get a new name and have other people use it. She has even thought about transferring to a normal school, just so she could get a fresh start and use a new name. Now, she feels a bit more secure about it, though.

V:

Prudence keeps it a surprisingly closely guarded secret that she enjoys fishing. She has caught well over fifty fish in her life, and even holds a few size records at individual ponds. She doesn't tell anyone, though, afraid of being considered even more of a tomboy than she already is.

VI:

Prudence has a small collection of nesting dolls, or matroshkas. She practices stacking them perfectly with magic. Her collection is kept carefully hidden under a floorboard in her dorm, but she has shown it to one or two close friends in the past.

VII:

Prudence's father died when she was young. She didn't know him that well, so it isn't especially traumatic for her, but she does think that the lack of a father figure for her may have made her more aggressive than she would be otherwise. Her mother acts more like a friend than a parent, so she doesn't really respect authority in general.

VIII:

Prudence has yet to kiss a boy. She finds this rather irritating, as she also believes that she must be the last in the class to have never done so (which isn't at all true). Boys are so frightened of her, and her tendencies to fight with them, that she isn't particularly successful at becoming close to them in general.

IX:

Several of the boys Prudence beat up were also the boys she liked. She can't explain why she does it, but one good guess is that the boys she likes are also the ones she talks to, and then the people she talks to are more likely to annoy her enough that she'll hit them. At least that's her best guess.

X:

Prudence can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst, and this makes her feel rather insecure about her eating habits. Though this is actually true for plenty of people, Prudence often decides to drink water when she isn't sure, because she's afraid of gaining weight when she isn't even hungry. This in turn increases the number of bathroom breaks she takes when out somewhere, which some people have made fun of her for.

I should add that very few, if any, other students have a series of lores like this that's specifically about them, so it's possible this is the remnant of some kind of idea (being able to Research your classmates?) that got scrapped pretty early on. If so expect a few continuity errors here and there.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, Metis said:

"Very few, if any", not "some". The only other one I can find off-hand (indeed, the only other one that might exist) are 6 lores dedicated to Philippe. Mind you that they seem...incomplete? That's the impression I get, anyway.

So, @Metis, would you be kind enough to share the Philippe lores?

Such as they are, sure:

Spoiler

Philippe I:

“Oh, hey there new student. How is the life at Academagia working out for you so far? Here, let me give you the grand tour.“

“Over here, we have the classrooms. Nothing remarkable, it's only the place where they'll slowly drain you through boredom. And over there is the cafeteria. Oh, and by the way, it's tradition to 'treat' the tour guide to lunch. Oh, you don't have any money? Don't worry, you can keep me entertained in some other way.“

“And over there is the bathroom. Don't worry, it's out of order, so we can head in. Look at that seat shine. Why don't you take a closer look?“

“Welcome to boot camp, Swirly.“

Philippe II:

“Oh, there you are again. I see you've taken a special liking to me. And just in time for lunch too.“

“Glad to see I won't be paying today. I'll just sit right here while you fetch me my meal. What? You're not balking at your tour guide, are you?“

“What are you looking at? Oh, him? This is my familiar. As a spider, he's very useful to have around. He can spy on my enemies and they wouldn't know a thing.“

“Like a particular little student who blabbed to a teacher about a bathroom mishap?“

“I'll be having dessert too.“

Philippe III:

“Why did I come to this school, Mr. Eight-Legs? The food's bad, the lesson's are boring, someone has started leaving me creepy notes, and the only privacy I can find is here in my own dormitory.“

“Can I really go home, though? Everything's bad here, but it's like my family fortress is more like a prison. Why am I always in a losing situation?“

“Oh, speaking of losers, that new kid's late for the 5 o' clock Super Stretchy Wedgie. Better get going.“

“... Did you just hear footsteps running away very fast?“

Philippe IV:

“Dear Journal“

“Woke up. Had a nice meal. And the kid didn't even cry this time. He's growing up so fast.“

“Went to class. Got bored. Weaved a pheme that smelled of dung and directed it to another student. Fun times were had by all.“

“Lunch time. Found a bird's nest. Ate contents. Am now in hiding from a very large eagle the size of a troll.“

“Class time again. Didn't want to go, so didn't. Instead snuck up on the new kid and gave a wedgie. And there was much rejoicing.“

“Dinner time. Told the stable keeper that an eagle was harassing his horses. Had a fowl dinner tonight.“

“All in all, I've shot under par today. Must be getting sloppy.“

“Good Night.“

Philippe V:

“So, let me get this straight: someone has been beating you up before I even have a chance to?“

“Such a travesty. I mean, I'm the dominant bully on this campus. Who would encroach on my territory and think that they could get away with it? If you don't want me to rearrange your face, you'd better tell me who it is that's doing all of this.“

“... What's that? The guy's been threatening you with worse if you snitch? Well, I can actually respect that a little.“

“I meant the bully, not you. Now do you want your nose on your chin, or forehead?“

Philippe VI:

“Ah, this school is starting to suck. If I'm not bullying, people are automatically assuming that I've had a 'change of heart.' I've had to interrupt my mealtime in order to punch someone. I want to keep up the image, but I never expected that other people would make is so hard for me.“

“At least no one's stolen from me yet. Kind of a good thing, when you forget to lock your own door sometimes.“

Archived