Black Chicken Studios Forums

Where did Black Chicken Studios get the Name Rikildis?

Rhialto

I ask because all of the other student characters have standard names from real human cultures that can be found relatively easily. But Rikildis is an extremely rare Dutch name apparently - so rare that a google search reveals Academagia's Rikildis von Kiep as among the top search results for the name Rikildis. I am hardly a disliker of old or obscure names - AmalasunĂ¾a and Alfwine are favorite names to me, to say nothing of Asvaghosa, Kumarajiva, etc. But before playing this game I knew nothing about the name Rikildis and still know nothing about it.

The general questions thread is fine for this, imo. Once this question is answered, it will just be abandoned. Do as you will, of course. My OCD just acts up in scenarios like this.

That being said, There are a lot of names out there. I'm 99% sure that all the NPC names were carefully chosen for a reason. It kind of reminds me of Professor Aventyrare having a name meaning "adventure" Now that's got to be an extremely rare name, but surely it was chosen for theming. I couldn't find the meaning of Rikildis, but I do believe there's a good chance it falls in the same category.

Seems to be a dutch variant of Richeldis itself a feminine version of Richard who's also pronounced Rickard in some languages. 

You can find the name here for exemple: https://heraldry.sca.org/names/earlydutchfem.html

That's what 5 minutes of google gave me anyway. If you're more curious feel free to to investigate further. ;) 

Yeah, names are a nightmare due to all the variations possible. I recall reading that when the King James Bible was being translated, the only substantial difference in the many manuscripts they scrutinized was the names.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 2:23 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

No comment, but...enjoy the hunt! The prize is worth it. :)

Is the prize knowing the source of the name Rikildis for Black Chicken Studios because the source is interesting, or is the prize a better understanding of Rikildis's character because the source reveals a model for the character Rikildis?

Archived