Black Chicken Studios Forums

Can I make ingame location backgrounds bigger?

LaughingHero

Right now the image of the location you're in (if there is one) is very small and it seems like they were bigger in the original client which didn't have the mountains/Academagia background, so the whole menu and consequently the imagine within were bigger.

Is it possible to make them bigger in any way? It seems like such a shame that such nice, detailed backgrounds are so small.

If would be possible, it'd be great if you could implement a feature to make them bigger if/when you'll do the last patch. :)

4 minutes ago, Metis said:

Unfortunately that would require higher resolution screenshots of those images, and those were sadly lost in a hard drive failure. Stretching them was tested during the DLC 17 beta, but the feature didn't make it into the next version.

Did it look good? Do you know when the HDD failure happened? I didn't actually test it, but does the original client have bigger images because it includes the higher resolution screenshots (if it does)? I was just comparing the sizes in screenshots you can google so I wouldn't have to install the old client.

Since the trading cards feature larger images, I thought they have all of them - those would be perfect.

As far as I recall, not really.

Not sure, but long enough ago that recovery isn't an option (at least I assume).

The older client has the same images as the current one, screenshots of it are just edited to cut out the, what was it, like 50% unused space on resolutions greater than 720p or something?

Can't comment on trading cards, don't have the Steam version of Academagia.

Its usual in game development to have the art created in way higher resolution then what is then used in the game it self. So no the old game version didn't have this pictures in bigger resolution but the artist and/or BCS them self should have it in their backups  … but apparently this backup was made on a HD and this HD didn't survive. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

A few years after launch- we weren't even aware of it at first.

I'm not sure about the Trading Cards.

Would it be possible to check where did you get the art for the Steam Trading Cards and see if you have more of them? The art there is bigger than what you see in the game.

Has anyone tried hacking the game to see if it contains the art files but only compresses them/makes them smaller when displaying them ingame?

Last I checked all of the .jgp files the game uses are plainly visible/accessible in the OfficialContent\Resources folder, just without .jpg extensions to actually mark them such. Minus the dozen largest ones, those are likely different files. No clue what they are, though.

I don't have the Steam version, though, and I doubt that Steam would save trading card art locally.

7 hours ago, Metis said:

Last I checked all of the .jgp files the game uses are plainly visible/accessible in the OfficialContent\Resources folder, just without .jpg extensions to actually mark them such. Minus the dozen largest ones, those are likely different files. No clue what they are, though.

I don't have the Steam version, though, and I doubt that Steam would save trading card art locally.

Will you  try looking at them to see what they are? I'll try it later.

Not sure how I'd even do that. Windows refuses to open them if I call them .jpg or .png files, no text editor I have is going to be able to make sense of them as textfiles, they're not .dll or .exe or anything along those lines since they don't have they "can't be run in DOS mode" error line, and them being shoved into a folder with over 1.5K other unlabelled image files doesn't really give me a whole lot else to go on.

1 minute ago, Metis said:

Not sure how I'd even do that. Windows refuses to open them if I call them .jpg or .png files, no text editor I have is going to be able to make sense of them as textfiles, they're not .dll or .exe or anything along those lines since they don't have they "can't be run in DOS mode" error line, and them being shoved into a folder with over 1.5K other unlabelled image files doesn't really give me a whole lot else to go on.

Not even IrfanView works? Oh well. Maybe Legate could chime in or suggest software tools we could use to look at them?

I just checked my Steam and you can only save the cards if you own them by looking at them, or alternatively, going to this website:

https://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-533480

By the way, is the Library of Matilda a real thing? What is it? How can I find it in the game? Hints only please, so I can let myself be surprised as to what it is! :D

3 minutes ago, Metis said:

...Blanking on what Irfanview is. Kinda busy right now with other stuff, so don't really have time to look.

Yes, it's a real ingame location. ED 8, located in the Academagia Grounds.

What is ED8?

Ifranview is just an application for viewing various image files, so in case it's in format that's not supported by the Windows viewer, it could work in it. I have it, so I'll try it and let you know.

Exploration Difficulty. Basically when Explore (the action) rolls your Explore (the skill)/Luck v. 4 check to see if you pass and discover something you need to pass a v.8 to actually have a chance at discovering that particular location. Some locations have an ED that goes as high as 30, so it's not (always) just a matter of just investing enough into your Explore skill to always pass that v.4 check as far as exploring is concerned.

22 hours ago, Metis said:

Exploration Difficulty. Basically when Explore (the action) rolls your Explore (the skill)/Luck v. 4 check to see if you pass and discover something you need to pass a v.8 to actually have a chance at discovering that particular location. Some locations have an ED that goes as high as 30, so it's not (always) just a matter of just investing enough into your Explore skill to always pass that v.4 check as far as exploring is concerned.

So I checked the files with Irfanview (some of them, since there are about 1550 files in there) and the largest ones couldn't be opened, however almost all of the smaller ones would show a message that it's a PNG file and if you let Irfan automatically add the .png to them, they'd open and you'd find the ingame backgrounds, character and famiilar portraits and some UI graphics when you sorted them according to size and checked out several files of different sizes.

Unfortunately the location backgrounds were the same like ingame, only 500x200, however the familiar portraits were much more bigger (1920x1080p) if someone wants to have a larger version of those.