Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

It can, yes, but it's more difficult than Incantation or Revision. On that note, Glamour can also do it, but about as well as Negation.

So technically, any magic can do anything as long as you are Extremely creative with it.

Leoshi,

I WILL GET YOU :angry:

Yeah, as long as you go by the rule of "the end justifies the mean", any result is possible with any magic. You can even cook with Gates :wub:

Of course, if your definition is even looser, you can always go "Mastery can do anything, just make somebody else cast the spell", but I imagine it is not very good for stuff like wilderness survival where there's a glaring lack of stuff to control.

Of course, if your definition is even looser, you can always go "Mastery can do anything, just make somebody else cast the spell", but I imagine it is not very good for stuff like wilderness survival where there's a glaring lack of stuff to control.

I don't know about that...could you Master plants? Bugs? Birds? Squirrels?

I wish we could see more of the creative Gate uses. Could we make our own animal, if in later years? (I want to make Falcor! Now there's a dragon I can cuddle to)

MadHatt;

It is possible to Master anything that thinks, but their effectiveness is very limited. Except for [spoilers, spoilers,] ;)

You cannot make an animal per se, but you could summon something very like to what you imagine via Gates. There are of course [spoilers, spoilers], which could do what you wanted. ;)

I'm imagining Mastery could be of great use to a healer who needs to concentrate on the body, though, due to it being a very easy way to knock someone out in an emergency situation (I'm sure there are potions that can be made to simulate something near anesthesia and of course drugs that could be used to knock someone out, as well as glamours to keep them in a relaxed state, but I imagine if you need someone out for emergency on-site first-aid, Mastery can't be beat for that).

Similarly, the mind-to-mind communication possible with Mastery could make dealing with someone in horrendous pain easier (they may be too much in pain to talk, or unconscious from the pain), as well as those you can't communicate with (familiars without speech or their master nearby, very young children, those who you don't share a language with...), or simply the uneducated (I have a pain in my stomach! / Er, that's your intestines, actually... oh, shoot, let me figure out what exactly the problem is by getting in your mind and seeing what your nerves say). Am I correct that Mastery could be used for all that?

...I imagine that's a slippery path, though...

I was doing my laundry while phasing out, slightly dreaming of just enchanting my clothes once to not having to wash it or watch in dismay as my boxers gets more and more worn and my lovely warm blouses gets smaller and smaller - and it got me thinking. How often would a normal first year have to re-enchant/enspell their clothing to stop the wear-tear and grime that school life would otherwise inflict upon it? (or just 'how long would such an enchant last')

I had this weird thought that due to the slightly newbness of our mages they might actually end up (in the first year if nothing else) spending more time on enchanting the clothing than they would cleaning and fixing through other means. And how long does a spell cast take? Getting the items, setting everything up, making a border, palette, phemes do the actual casting.. I realize that some spells (attack spells) would have to be quick, but usually they aren't all they complex. Now preventing all kinds of dirt and grime, small tears and stop shrinking... I imagine that this might take longer?

A distant thought: is there anyway to fly with Glamour and Mastery?

I know you can do it easily enough with Negation (negate the law of gravity for fun and profit!), and it seems easy enough with Incantation (manipulating air and wind currents to lift yourself). I am guessing that very high level (beyond year one, certainly) Revision is probably a key o shapshifting, and you could always revise something in to an airship (though that's probably also in the beyond year one factoid, though if you started with a large cart, it may be doable). Enchant probably would require some knowledge of the other fields for easy uses (such as enchanting robes with a flying spell, like I believe you can do for Zorzi), but I guess they can make themselves some sort of propeller based flying machine with enough forge-work. Gates, of course, you summon your huge flying bird-animal of doom.

I can't come up with any way to fly with Glamour or Mastery, though. Is there one? Certainly, you can make people think you're flying, but I can't figure out how to do actual flight.

Strategy games- are they popular in Mineta? Does the Academagia setting have some magical crazy strategy game, like Exalted's Gateway? Or do people play Chess? Have Go and Mahjong made it to Mineta, or would they even exist in this sort of setting?

Glamour yes, although it's difficult- you could 'seem' to have wings, or even give an object the ability to fly. Mastery, however, can't be done- you could, I suppose, Master a mage to help you fly. :)

Go has made it- you'll have to speak to Schwarzbart about that one. :)

Otherwise, Chess, and a few other parlor games. And BattleMace! :)

Mastery, however, can't be done- you could, I suppose, Master a mage to help you fly. :)

As a creative and powerful example, how about using the knowledge of Anatomy + Biology + Bird to force your own brain to genetically grow your body a wing (slowly) or stab two large wings onto the body and force the brain to integrate it as part of the body.

Probably need Neurology skill in both case.