Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question : Do any of you understand what this means. I can't get +4 strength in character creation soooooo what does it want me to do to get it? This is found in Realms of Power Faeries (guess what I'm trying to make). Also if you just have automatic advice please give it (first time I'm actually making a character completely).

Modifier: +2

Size: Huge

Must Select: +4 Strength, –2 Quickness

Vitue which grants it is Huge.

Oh yeah how does a sovereign ward name work. Since I really do doubt saying his name would instantly kill him due to how silly it is. Someone could just by chance say his name not knowing it's his name and kill him. Or is it just the ward thing that is mentioned (GAH SO MUCH STUFF!!).

... One last one (yeash). Does this mean I throw the old balancing out the window except for making sure it doesn't go over 20 points of virtues?

1 free, then up to 20 points of

Virtues paid for with Flaws at

2 Virtues per Flaw.

Each increase in size by 1 gives you a +2 to Str and a -1 to Quick.

My character can spontan the +1 size increase on him selve as it is Muto Corpus of only level 3 together with +2 for Sun duration this resulting in a difficulty of 5!

Keep in mind that with size 2 you have around the same volume as a common horses and probably result that you can't enter nomal houses any more.

For the other things I didn't read trough Realms of Power Faeries for caracter generation so fare but keep in mind that you get problems in Magic Realms when you are a creature of the fearie realm what might be bad if you stay at the covenant for extended times. Also you have to spend extend times in fearie realms to not lose your powers (At last from what I understand the character creation in Realms of Power Magic).

Hmm this is going to take a long time to find the thing you mentioned about negative things that happens if a faerie goes into a magic zone (mainly since I don't have magic realms yet FUUU), but I did find out magic auras benefit faeries and don't automatically harm them (page 8 of RoP faeries). So it adds and/or subtracts a stat by some amount (figured) and so a person with +1 size would have that affect his stats in the way you said.

Some other question.

-Do I decide what which thing I get for free, or is it I can only get 1 free virtue.

-My character's story is he is a changeling, simply said I don't know if he qualifies for the infiltrator trait, technically he is moving about in roles due to the story he is acting out. He will also get Dark secret flaw from this. He also doesn't know he is a faerie so yeah.

Sigh I wish CJ would have emailed me the answers of these questions and this isn't all of them.

Just haved a look you want to creat a "Faerie Mage" so you will remove your curent mage from the game to play this? As in a normal campaing each player have one magus and one companion character.

Also I think Feary Mage don't have the Gift and instead works with powers similiar to magic that will gain energy from your might.

I would suggest you make the a compangion level character out of your faerie character. But keep in mind that a fearie character play complet different from a human caracter.

A Fearie character would be to much of a challenge to me thats why I at most would go the way to play a human character with feary blood.

This should be interesting figuring out which major virtue I'm going to throw out (GAHH all the thing I picked basically define his story may have to ice him until Calpurnia dies in her coming fate.)

Though I should be told what exactly does a faerie do differently (I have some ideas, but better someone tell me).

To be exact the character I was making is the faerie which is exchanged for the infant. The exact race is Sidhe of Unseelie court (Winter Court).

Anyway thanks. I think I might have figured out a way to keep the important stuff, and still make it so he doesn't automatically die do to weakness.

Sorry guys. Been an even worse week than normal - had to take my girlfriend to hospital today, and so things have been ridiculous. Good news is I'm ok to run tomorrow, and she is home now. I'm going to try and answer some emails in the morning, or next hour or so.

OK, I have finally had a chance to start working through my emails. Characters and stats take the most time to respond to, and as you may have gathered i'm infrequently online at the moment, but I do hope to have more time once I get this week over with. Looking forward to game tomorrow. Incidentally, I am now thinking about what will happen once you all find your way home. Obviously some downtime, a chance to create laboratories and learn spells make magic items etc. Now this will be a good few sessions off - perhaps 3 to 4, and then we will have to sort downtime, and I will have to makes sure I can prioritize email. After that, our next story: Who wants to run it? I am happy for everyone to run a story, and I'll run evcery pother one if that is ok - I guess stories should be 1-5 sessions, and I will introduce a companion of my own so I can play in the stories (I won't have a magi just yet, as Alpha Storyguide me having a magi will be unfair I think). We can discuss where your stories are set, and what kind of things I think would work - you can all email me directly at anytime, the only problem being I may not have time to respond immediately, but I have set up my phone to get my emails now, so I hopefully can stay in touch more even when working. So do email me.

My saga plot is quite ambitious, and so stories should all take place in one season if possible, as chronology si quite central to what I am planning. Anyway if you would like to run after this story concludes, let me know - just volunteer here. That OK?

cj x

I already expected that you was keept busy and so wasn't able to answear our mails so no problem from my side.

Sorry that I still have only a limited grasp of the Ruleset and so come up with some questions but thats the downside of running a campaign with people new to this game ^^.

Edit:

Paces are roman passus (~1,48m) or the more modern single pace (~0,76m)?

(this name was used in a spell effect description)

With the focus to Latin in the language I expect passus to be the right one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paces

Thanks so its 0,76m! Then I have to fix this in one of my char sheets.

Um, a pace is defined in Ars Magica 5th as 1m if you live in a metric country, and 3 feet (c.96cm I think)if you use Imperial. I use either, interchangeably, but as all measures in the rules are given in paces you don't really need to know. Assume a certain fuzziness, and it's somewhere around either, but use which very youa re more familiar with when doing any needed maths.

Archived