Black Chicken Studios Forums

Small victories

Svinik

If you stated with the Academy: Safaviore Officer's School background you actually could have gotten very easy, guaranteed access to that. And personally I'd raise Instinct to 10 by abusing Free Running (Ability) - Endurance is just as useful for a mercenary and hey, easy Glory for passing The Challenge at the Redoubt.

Than again, Danger Sense and Wilderness Survival aren't bad skills either, especially because Danger Sense is insanely difficult to raise quickly even with Selective Focus.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much "our" familiars will aid our wizards as they become even better wizards in their respective fields.

A familiar that's "familiar" with our fields of interest and possibly some research might actually help us speed up our learning and abilities as "wizards".

Granted, it did take some extra time to get your familiar up to speed, but doing so early on should be a boon for the future since it should accelerate your development and that of your familiar in future years.

If you know the basic skills really well the more advanced skills will come to you more easily.

If you got a skilled familiar that's adding it's "perspective" on things then that should help you even more. Never mind the things it will be able to help you with, research and other things. (Just make sure your familiar is happy with it's part in your partnership :) )

Also there were those magics where being more than one caster helped make your magic stronger or easier to pull off... Community magic or multicaster magic.... Or whatever it was called...

That "Watcher" for example wanted a wizard partner to help with spell casting, your familiar should be able to do the same for you. Or your classmates if you're prepared to share the honour ;)

In a class however I have a feeling a familiar might be allowed to help on an individual task or demonstration while another student might not, unless it's group work.

You might also feel more comfortable to bring your trusty familiar on "illegal" Gates and Mastery adventures and "Research" and experimentation.... Than you would with other students and friends of your Clique.

It will be interesting to see how Cliques/friends and familiars are handled in later years.

Also, Cliques seems to be adding up to some kind of Patrol skill/value, I'm guessing that will have some kind of functionality in later years if it isn't doing anything in Year 1?

@Legate, what is that Patrol Bonus Value that Cliques got? Is it modified by the members Patrol skills? What about the Familiars Patrol skills? What does it do? Can't see it addign to my Patrol skill, maybe it's hidden?

Got a score of 150 in the Revision mid term what in it self isn't that special but my base skill before bonus from passive ability and items was 6.

I got 2 from passive abilities, 4 direct from items and 3 from items raising the SS for a total of 9 and this by 2nd Cheimare.

And he says I play well... my students scrape mid-terms, I get 50 tops and that only in one of the subjects I've topped out the study for - usually 2 or 3 get nothing as I've focused the study on the other subjects. Fortunately my guys ace the finals :)

I tend to get in the higher end of average on the midterms but I don't really care so long as I can get around 50. Once I got 70 on Negation I think, but that's rare. I'm content to be no.1 in the finals. No overly excessive score is necessary. I get from 120-150 typically. midterms are unimportant for anything more than seeing if the kids are on track for the finals.

I'm curious as to how much glory being no 1 in grades will give you in Y2.

If I get enough to avoid getting detention for failing I'm happy, although generally I never come close since I like to get Study Mastery bonuses early to get PA started early. 30 PA gotten before the Dance of Fools as opposed to a week or two before Kaliri is a lot of money.

I'm curious if the glory will outweigh the hate. Honestly for my Y2 game I'm aiming for second best - all the joy of good grades and at least significantly less of the hate, I hope. I will probably accomplish this by using some spell to buff the daylights out of someone else, in fact. I'll have to remember to make a note of who scored best on the mid term.

My characters Dispassion tends to be so high that I doubt they care what other people really think. Least not outwards.... Really, what does it matter, if they got a problem with it, I'll just ask my familiar to give them a beating and stick it's claws/tallons into them.

A Familiar can't get a detention right?.... Right? I guess the student is responsible for their other half... Maybe I could blame it on familiar training gone wrong?

It's not that I care about them, personally, I care about them wasting my time. Now one might question the value in spending time to avoid wasting time, but it's all part of a long-term solution. Plant the seeds of rivalry among those who would bother me, ensure that my hand in it is neither seen or missed, and let the nature of a bunch of spoiled and pressured children take it's natural course. By the time the second set of finals come around those too concerned with bothering we will have wasted their energy on breaking each other, leaving no competition left as I leisurely stroll towards the ultimate prize. Second place, so as to ensure I can never fall in that trap again.

And yeah, a student is responsible for the actions of his/her Familiar.

I think the Legate said that ultimately Pam will be much weaker than other Familiars. She's ideal for someone like me who doesn't want to devote a large amount of effort on their Familiar. That said in Y2 I think a little training surely can't hurt.

I question the level of hate that will arise from being no.1. Sure there will be some. primarily from kids like Basia, but even the toughest of the current grading systems shown in Y1 are not really capable of making the entire class fail unless they all had scored exactly the same as almost everyone else (very very unlikely) And honestly any kid like Basia would see a No.2 as much as a threat as a no. 1 (Especially if she is neither)

Pam's stats aren't good, but I suspect that with familiar's you will get out what you put in.

I'm more worried about professors than students, I've never had detention despite often having no study levels in 2-3 classes but don't recall if I got 0 in the mid-terms.

I had thought that they were 20% of the final result though.

Back when I used spells to boost exam results I crushed the opposition, now I just beat them - does anyone not have parent skill 10+ and 10 study in all skills by the end of the game? If so, what have you focused on instead?

I had thought that they were 20% of the final result though.

Some midterms, particularly Grammar and History (and for some reason Athletics, which is a pass/fail class), do count for 20%. Others...don't. I think the explanation is that the professors have to have mid terms, but they decide how important they are, so a few professors (to name one example, Briardi) has their midterm count for...1%.

The familiars of legend were more powerful than an average year 5 student, because they could share into their wizards power in a similar way our wizards can benefit from our familiars on year one. That and their natural powers and training.

It's hard to a imagine a spider familar as being very strong, storywise, but ones like the Doll, Pixie, Shade and even Pamela could very well become pretty powerful by the tie Academagia ends.

The doll in particular overpowered Dexter Marchant and used a spell so deadly that it killed the nixie, if you so chose these options and beated the rolls, She does have a little memory problem and sometimes cant use her inhuman speed and strenght aswell for some unknown reasons. Untap that potential through the years and you will have the one ally and friend that will not judge you and will always stay by your side.

Pamela in particular was planned to be romance option, and based on the ghost movie with demi moore, it could actually work somehow.

The Hawk seems to have some stuff going for it aswell, it might have an avian ancestry that's somewhat appart from the rest of the flock.

It's unique iris colour that it shares with a hawk of legend, it's crazy drive for heroism. It can fly, it's a huge predatory bird of muscle, feather, tallons and a sharp beak. That seems like it's deaming about fighting hopeless battles with dragons...

Tbh, I think all the so called "Exotic" familiars are a little special and unusual in some way.

The Shade and the Doll, I think you will have to work on quite a bit so you don't loose control. They seem to have outside influences that are fairly strong. Maybe the unruly drive in the hawk is strong aswell...

I do think however, that the more you have to work for it, the better they will be once you get it right. I wonder what the Hawk did with it's "magic" whistle that had been blessed by the gods, or whatever powers that were..

It gave me the "medal" however.

And he says I play well... my students scrape mid-terms, I get 50 tops and that only in one of the subjects I've topped out the study for - usually 2 or 3 get nothing as I've focused the study on the other subjects. Fortunately my guys ace the finals :)

As mentioned without the large boost from items and passive abilities the char would had scored only 60%.

My plan for the final exam will be a score past 200% in revision as I missed at the time of the midterm exam 3 points from passive abilities I plan to get and 4 points in skill what already would get me to 220%. But my aim is to get past the 250% I got in a previous game without using a spell to boost the score. I just hope I remember where I got all the items needed for this score.

Archived