Black Chicken Studios Forums

Production Update #10: Beta No Go

Legate of Mineta

Once again the War College has allowed me to share the results before the Update. You *may* not be able to tell, but we're getting tingly again. ;)

"Pilots, as indispensable as are, don't want to integrate nicely with the Fleet Air Arm. The War College is cracking down on these 'aces', 'flyboys' and 'helldivers', but they have been genuinely stubborn. Their aircraft have proven far more accommodating, thankfully.

Fighters tangle with one another in a dogfight, breaking off when unengaged to bring down enemy bombers. Dive Bombers and Glide Bombers make their deadly dives- one more accurate and safer from the tepid anti-air of '39 than the other. Torpedo Bombers follow after, hoping to reap the benefits of any suppressive effects previous attacks have had, and while a Belle underway can easily dodge their payloads, Anvil attacks can cause devastating damage to even the most agile target.

Two changes have arisen during integration: Level Bombers will not be integrated for the '39 client as...well, frankly, they may be able to hit a pickle barrel at altitude, but if that barrel is under way...they just take up space. These beautiful, massive aircraft are too lovely not to return, but they won't be present at start. Similarly, while Fighters with bombs can Glide Bomb, Strafing will *probably* not be integrated for '39. This type of attack is very useful if you have air superiority, but it will almost certainly have to wait for after launch due targeting issues.

Pilot Experience is the barrier to complete the transformation of the Battle engine. Once this is overcome, the integration of the overall client can resume.

At best speed, the Team will hold the next Beta vote in mid-April, and Updates will continue as normal. The War College is preparing a little surprise for the fans, once the Battle engine is ready, and we'd like you to vote for [redacted until the Update]."

6 minutes ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Once again the War College has allowed me to share the results before the Update. You *may* not be able to tell, but we're getting tingly again. ;)

"Pilots, as indispensable as are, don't want to integrate nicely with the Fleet Air Arm. The War College is cracking down on these 'aces', 'flyboys' and 'helldivers', but they have been genuinely stubborn. Their aircraft have proven far more accommodating, thankfully.

Fighters tangle with one another in a dogfight, breaking off when unengaged to bring down enemy bombers. Dive Bombers and Glide Bombers make their deadly dives- one more accurate and safer from the tepid anti-air of '39 than the other. Torpedo Bombers follow after, hoping to reap the benefits of any suppressive effects previous attacks have had, and while a Belle underway can easily dodge their payloads, Anvil attacks can cause devastating damage to even the most agile target.

Two changes have arisen during integration: Level Bombers will not be integrated for the '39 client as...well, frankly, they may be able to hit a pickle barrel at altitude, but if that barrel is under way...they just take up space. These beautiful, massive aircraft are too lovely not to return, but they won't be present at start. Similarly, while Fighters with bombs can Glide Bomb, Strafing will *probably* not be integrated for '39. This type of attack is very useful if you have air superiority, but it will almost certainly have to wait for after launch due targeting issues.

Pilot Experience is the barrier to complete the transformation of the Battle engine. Once this is overcome, the integration of the overall client can resume.

At best speed, the Team will hold the next Beta vote in mid-April, and Updates will continue as normal. The War College is preparing a little surprise for the fans, once the Battle engine is ready, and we'd like you to vote for [redacted until the Update]."

you tease can't you tell little old me what your planing it's my birthday

Well, can't say that's not unfortunate. Hopefully things come together at the quick step. Looking forward to whatever the surprise might be, I rather like those. Also looking forward to some full demos of the battle engine at work once everything's fighting fit. 

I am already Voting for Spee and Nagato.  If there’s any room remaining in the vote, please add Diether Von Roeder.  In other news, pilots always were hard to deal with...

Queue ‘Mighty wings’ as someone buzzed the tower, spilling the base commander’s coffee all over him.

A bit disappointed but not unexpected. I have a small request though:

Would it be possible to just get a detailed status update on the progress of the development? Basically just one update that clearly states: "These parts of the game are done and wont need any further work. These parts we are currently working on. These parts are somewhat complete but will need adaptation to the new backend. These parts aren't even started." 

Something along those lines. If possible not "in universe". Not the whole Warcollege thing. I can appreciate that kind of flavor for the story and interview updates. But I would really like an update that sums up the development so far in clear language. The Beta Vote updates usually only say what is currently being worked on and what was recently finished. I would like one big post that just gives the players an overview. Because right now I would have to go back through dozens of updates and all the beta votes. And even then I wouldn't really have a complete picture.

Considering the game is going to be more than 1 year behind the original estimated release date I think we deserve this much. I am not asking for you to rush the game. Take as much time as you need to make as good a product as you are able. But I want one big update that just says what is done and what isnt. Just for overview and reference.

1 hour ago, Armnorn said:

A bit disappointed but not unexpected. I have a small request though:

Would it be possible to just get a detailed status update on the progress of the development? Basically just one update that clearly states: "These parts of the game are done and wont need any further work. These parts we are currently working on. These parts are somewhat complete but will need adaptation to the new backend. These parts aren't even started." 

Something along those lines. If possible not "in universe". Not the whole Warcollege thing. I can appreciate that kind of flavor for the story and interview updates. But I would really like an update that sums up the development so far in clear language. The Beta Vote updates usually only say what is currently being worked on and what was recently finished. I would like one big post that just gives the players an overview. Because right now I would have to go back through dozens of updates and all the beta votes. And even then I wouldn't really have a complete picture.

Considering the game is going to be more than 1 year behind the original estimated release date I think we deserve this much. I am not asking for you to rush the game. Take as much time as you need to make as good a product as you are able. But I want one big update that just says what is done and what isnt. Just for overview and reference.

that does sound nice like a little checklist. However the impression i got from this update is that they are adding the last piece to the cilent an that being Pilot Experience. presumably after that it's just polishing what they have allready done

In terms of who I want to next do a duo, I’d like to see Bulldog and Exeter. Pupper because, well, she and I are stuck together like a mosquito in tree sap and she is my Belle, and Exeter because we haven’t seen her since her interview all the way far back. Also because I need to see some of Bulldog’s foul language and have Exeter deal with her

<slowpoke>

Spoiler

On 2/22/2018 at 1:32 AM, Legate of Mineta said:

Level Bombers will not be integrated for the '39 client as...well, frankly, they may be able to hit a pickle barrel at altitude, but if that barrel is under way...they just take up space.

make them weather condition :D

On 2/22/2018 at 1:32 AM, Legate of Mineta said:

Any changes to Crafting & Story parts? Or anyone who can code is already thrown at AirXP  so that will be done only after Battle integration?

</slowpoke>

2 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

v_L;

Hahaha! It's raining...bombs. :)

No change to Story parts, but Crafting was one of the focus areas before the backend issues, and it remains unresolved. Once Battle engine is signed, sealed and delivered, that's high on the list. 

Generally speaking, how bad is the list after the battle system? Is the battle system the Lion's share as I imagine?

8 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

v_L;

Hahaha! It's raining...bombs. :)

No change to Story parts, but Crafting was one of the focus areas before the backend issues, and it remains unresolved. Once Battle engine is signed, sealed and delivered, that's high on the list. 

I believe the bulk of people would like an update of that list in total, like it was done a few months before. It would help ragain oversight of the teams tasks ahead and of the progress.

Archived