Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

While reading this thread, a few question popped into my head.

A - Re: Bathing. Are there things like bath houses? Maybe not at the school currently, but in the past?

B - Are there other forbidden arts? If so, might they make an appearance in year 2 or later? And would they be fun to use?

C - Do the islands ever have... i'm not sure how to phrase this: quakes? Natural, storm related or magical?

D - If you can tell us, has Cyve progressed somewhat similarly or radically different from the islands? (Cultural, technological/magical, etc.) And what do they think of the islands? (Of course, I suppose it could be an apocalyptic wasteland down below.) :D

C- They do have quakes :) it happened at least once when my character was born ;)

D- Now, this is just a guess, but I think that Cyve is a dump. No doubt they are getting all the magical backlash from all those doom spells that "Fizzle" up on our islands. (J/K)

A ) Bathing and Shower is known but Shower is still a new technology and so not very common.

B ) Yes Gates and Mastery are complet forbinden by law and It can cost even your live if you get cought knowing this kind of magic (not to mention using it)

Edit: more to B ) There are also some laws that forbid use of Fire based Magic in certain places and some other laws that regulates the use of magic.

Le Quack;

For your questions:

A: Yes, there are several bath houses in the city, and on the campus.

B: Yes, and I believe they will make appearances. :)

C: Yes- there's a certain Background you can take which represents this, as Adrian noted.

D: Since there is no way to communicate with Cyve, it's uncertain. Patterns of light at night as well as buildings and roads by day, clearly visible from the edges of the Islands as they make their way around the world, indicate that there are mighty cities and nations below. Details are difficult to come by due to the effects of the maelstrom beneath the isles, however. Most hope that the people of Cyve prosper and go about their business under their own rule, praying that the Exile bought them at least that much.

Is it possible to use Mastery against Mastery? As in, if a wizard casts a Mastery spell on our student (who also knows it) to be able to use it against him instead of using, say, Negation?

Also, is there any perk to not having a clique at all? Something like "Ooh, he's so mysterious, he doesn't hang around with anyone, he does all the adventure stuff alone" ? It would be useful for a loner character.

Also, is there any perk to not having a clique at all?

Not to my knowledge and I dont think its posible with the year 1 engine limitations.

So if at all something like this would be posible at the start of year 2 if you managed to stay out of all cliques for the complet first year.

I think that will profe a rater difficult thing to do because the NPCs also whant to have you in theyr cliques.

I had a character who never did enter a clique. He was friendly with enough students to get their quests but never entered or formed one. I think I saw some other students without a clique too, near the end of the year, but not many. It would be interesting to see, considering the amount of rumours and talk around the school. Someone like that would attract attention. Hopefully in year 2 then.

Is it possible to use Mastery against Mastery? As in, if a wizard casts a Mastery spell on our student (who also knows it) to be able to use it against him instead of using, say, Negation?

There's a spell to protect against it, I forgot what level of Mastery you need though. But I don't think there's one to turn it around.

Are all dragons supposed to be evil and arrogant and hated? There are so many comparisons (Gates can subdue a dragon, Mastery can control one and all the stories) that it would be quite interesting to perhaps find a baby dragon or something that you could either befriend or turn over. Or possibly even control to create an evil empire later.

Are there even dragons around anymore or just in special places?