Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Reminds me of a queston I had.. Are tutees usually from the same collage as the tutor?

Hmm, no, you can take whatever collage you want unless it's those specialize class by certain collage. For example, all of us in different collage, but we all get the same tutor anyway.

Oh and would siblings usually end up in the same collage?

Unless parent force you all to join the same collage, otherwise it would be your choice.

I wish there would be a sorting hat that can sort me into a collage base on personality test instead.

Hehe, I asked about the tutor as Oan never mentions which collage she belongs to. I figured it have been the lesser of two evils to have a single character act as the tutor for the player character... Oan is also special as she is a third year... so I guessed I better make sure :)

But yeah a sorting hat would clear up a lot. That said I am glad that the Academagia is not that close to the Harry Potter books.

A bit non-related question, but I've managed to finally piece together the first chapter in a fanfic I've been writing on in the evenings... Would it be ok to post it here (the forum I mean, not the thread) and if so, should it be the RPing section?

Oh another question. Which length units are usually in use? Meters, feet, spans,... something different?

How large would your average student be, like our 'western' youngsters ~ 170cm.(ish) at the first years as a teenager or shorter? (or taller for that matter!)

Also, happy newyear :)

Happy New Year!

Elumia uses the older form of measurements (feet, stones, etc.), but in one nation (Pievre), the metric system has recently been created.

Nutrition, especially for Students at the Academagia, is excellent- I would use Western norms for the Victorian period, if you want to get very specific. :)

Oooooo thank you! :)

Soo, height... I am speculating so please correct me if I am off by much. I am guessing that height of your average adult male would be... 1.60m, women perhaps 5cm less...

A teenagekid would then be 1.40m or so?

Now convert that into feet, *mutters* if we are accounting for the fact that "feet" is a variable size, then it is a bit tricky...

I have a feeling that I should have been messuring my height by the feet I had at the age of 11, would save me alot of hassle! ;)

Edit: You do realize that the number of posible questions just increased by a ten-fold? ;)

Thanks for the map! Big update to my threads thanks to that ~

About giving Oan a collage in year 4, would that not be a bit pointless since she would finish school at the end of year 3, if there's 5 years and she's a year 3 student when your a yeasr 1?

Let's say she fail the final and have to retake the year again.

What bring up the point if NPCs can retake a year, can player also?

Someone asked for it and maybe got it.

I doubt player can retake it though, but it would be a nice new game+ if it won't overpower your char.

I think it will be modable but for the team probably to much work because its not only all the NPC Students that would have to be changed.

For moding it will be probably posible because we can import our save to the next year and I alredy requested that we can change the start and end date so we can make 2 years in year 2.

Is there a spell to "search" through a book or another handy way to look things up in the old fragile tomes of knowledge and lore that is kept in the libraries around Mineta?

Also, is it allowed to browse the Artifact Registry for some item that you don't exactly have with you? :)

(Thanks for putting up with the frequent abuse, but it is an interesting world!)

Adrian;

On the contrary, we're more than happy to discuss it. :)

For the former, there are some books which have a magical index which will allow even the untrained in magic to search, but standardization in this area wasn't common until about a century or so ago. Creating a spell to search for you is possible, and can be done through a variety of ways- but they are fairly difficult to cast due to their complexity.

It is possible to browse the Artifact Registry, yes. It costs the same, though. :)

Neat-o - to both of the answers really.

Yeah I was guessing that it wasn't exactly easy to cast a spell to search for a term of phrase in a book (like writing a progam to search for a string in a file, yikes! Anywho informative!

It is pretty neat that the guys at the Registry let you browse like that (even if they charge you) I've always wanted to take a look at a long list of devestatingly magial items... *whistles innocently*

I was wondering what kind of relationship, if any, there is between von Rupprecht and Orsi. If it is mentioned in the game then please don't answer it - as I've yet to discover it =) Was just curious as I've given him some attributes from one of my own teachers (brr!) who generally dislikes students (or at least teaching) but loves hanging out with fellow professors. (Not that I blame my teacher, but still :))

I was curious about the usual wardrobe of our dear students, particularly the out-doors wardrobe.

Does if differ greatly from collage to collage, is it standard to have a cape/something similar when traveling outside?

Also, patroling... I am guessing it is done in the evenings, are students allowed to 'guard' their collage from outsiders into the night or are everyone locked into their dorms at a certain time? (Sorry if this is mentioned in the patrol-lores but I've never made a character that actually took this duty seriously... *cough* aaaanywho..

Next is an adventure-related question, not quite spoiler but I'll "hide it" (by turning it white) to avoid any booing!

The strife that goes on between Aranaz and Durand (stealing and protecting the Stars), is it primarily kept at a first-year thing with older years supervising or is it more or less free for all?

Also I may need a hint for where I should look for relations between Orsi and von Rupprecht ;)

Adrian;

Uniform at the Academagia is fairly strict, and apart from a cape does not really make provision for weather extremes- this is mostly to encourage young wizards to rapidly adapt to using magic to deal with those kinds of issues. :)

Patrols can occur at any time of the day- first years, in particular, are under curfew in the evenings, although this does not stop enterprising students from getting out and about.

It's a free-for-all, reaching its highest intensity in the middle years.

Hmm, still no comment. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found what I think you've been hinting at,.. and it is so obvious. I even thought about it a few times but each time I just 'had to try another part of xxx adventure - just in case, like'

Sigh! ah well, nothings wasted. Gotta change my view of our dear Regent (for the better, I assure you).

Slightly surprised that Durand-Aranaz issues actually flare in the middle years! You guys should make that adventure line more difficult for us stupid first-years (unless there are more options in later years)! Also I am disgusted with my senior Aranaz students (or deeply impressed with Durand...).

Just a small question, can some of the (smaller) islands float around (making direct mapping difficult)?

I just wished to correct my world view, as I've recently gotten convinced that I was wrong to think of it the way I did. The ground we live on was raised by dragons from Cyve, later isolated by the (reeeeally cool) weather phenomenon (that I can't recall the name of...). These floating islands though are what I usually got wrong.

I assumed that the whole lot of these islands were what was called Elumia, but I recently reread a few posts and began to doubt that. As I see it now, Elumia is more like a continent or perhaps a gathering of nations, would that be the case? (feel free to go into more detail ;p)

A few more questions and I'll shut up for now ;) Do groups of satyrs live in the imperial reserve? Are satyrs much like the old greek Dionysos cultists or are our satyrs more refined (or wild for that matter)? Also, do satyrs know a form of magic? (I am guessing a sort of revision magic could be handy for these fellows to make sure their kegs are full of wine and the flowers always in bloom.) :)

Is there a sort of long-distance communication in this time? (I realize that following the standard timeline there is still a loooong way to go until things like the telegraph was created, but I got curious)

Do the regents of each collage keep their chambers in their respective collage or at the main building of the Academagia, or somewhere else entirely? Also, do these people have familiars, and are they free to roam the grounds or do they too have duties to preform?

(Heavily edited.)

Adrian;

Naturally, for the better. :)

Elumia is indeed the name of the overall region (and a good part of Elumia remains on Cyve, below). The island chains overall, when named, are usually called Azhiamas, which is old name for the Onyx Islands where the Dragons still dwell.

Satyrs do probably live in the Imperial Reserve, and they are well known for their revelries. They do know several forms of magic, usually glamours, as well as having their own (fae) magics.

There are several forms of long distance communication, the only mundane one being semaphores across Meril. Telegraph has been invented, but is not used because of the costs of stringing cable between islands and because of the relatively cheap costs associated with magic. Usually, when you want to send a message quickly you contract with the Last House of the West, which is a kind of religiously bonded courier service.

The Regents usually live in the main building, although that's by choice. They can live off campus, too, if they prefer. All wizards have Familiars- whether they like it or not. Even wizards which try to isolate themselves eventually gain one...;)

All wizards have Familiars- whether they like it or not. Even wizards which try to isolate themselves eventually gain one...;)

This gives me the beginnings of an idea for a familiar worth -1 background points... A familiar worse than Pamela!