Black Chicken Studios Forums

General Victory Belles Questions Thread

Dano

It does seem a little surprising, given that this is the 4th iteration, that they haven't managed to get those details right. And that's not usually the sort of thing they change in a patch, either.

To be honest, I gave up any pretense long ago.

I opened each iteration of HoI knowing that I would see my old friend, the cruiser "Raimondo Montecuccolio", awaiting me. <_<

Ok, now I wont' say anything more. Back to VB! :)

I had a two part question involving the the players Captain and crews though they kinda blend into each other.

First question is are crews going to treated just like equipment? That for the ships you will have (for simplification sake in the example I only put two), an officer and a Chief slot and each will dictate certain stats. Like you can have an officer that is exceptionally good at artillery so in turn the Belles get a boost?

Second is that will our Captain be able to have their own progression? Or barring that having abilities(Doctrines) able to work in conjunction with the Naval Flag Commands or emphasizing certain Divisions? So on top of having the Flag Commands in which dictate how your ships fight, having certain doctrines to help certain playing styles such as having an Artillery Doctrine(for the battleship lovers) or Carrier Doctrines(for air superiority lovers)? And I guess kinda looping it up with the question above being able to place our captain with our flagship (though thinking about how I worded it...why wouldnt our Captain be on the Flagship...) ?

FAoD;

No problem!

1) Crew are sort of treated like equipment, although it's not based on the Ratings as in your example. They can be upgraded, and indeed can augment your Belle's performance.

2) Your Captain doesn't have progression, except in terms of how you guide your overall strategy. You are assumed to be on the Flagship, and are assumed to be issuing the Flag Commands according to the training, knowledge and ability of your Belles, which is why you are able to select which ones the Belle can choose (and which they learn!)

There are a ton of Flag Commands to unlock, though, so there are plenty of them that have pretty complex strategies: air - gunnery - submarine combinations, for instance. That will definitely satisfy the 'doctrinal' approach- in fact, some of them are set up that way. :)

I'm seriously beginning to worry now if I'll be able to play this game I've come to love so much. I'm getting the feeling it's going to be out of my league. For people who are in it for the stories, we may never be able to get to them because the game aspects are too high an obstacle. :(

I wouldnt worry too much, by the looks of it (so far, feel free to correct me if I am wrong Legate) but for players that like the more technical/gameplay aspects have a system that is very deep and has a lot to explore, learn and perfect their own gaming styles. But for those that want to experience the story and more narrative driven players the more technical aspects can be kinda glanced over and ignored so they can enjoy the story.

I'm seriously beginning to worry now if I'll be able to play this game I've come to love so much. I'm getting the feeling it's going to be out of my league. For people who are in it for the stories, we may never be able to get to them because the game aspects are too high an obstacle. :(

not to try to sound uppity but I think you're selling yourself short. I believe that once you have the basic mechanics the rest will sort itself out. Everyone has a play style and finding out is part of the fun. Plus, once it's released everyone on here will be willing to help.

Don't worry too much about the strategy stuff if it's not your thing, BCS has said in the past that you'll have the option of just overleveling your Belles and going the brute force approach if you want to.

DYM;

Yep, I wouldn't worry about that at all. The progression gameplay is really different from the story gameplay. If you just want to play casually and enjoy the Story, you won't find any significant impediments. Really, the most important thing to remember is: don't bring a Carrier into a night battle...at least in '39. And maybe Lady Lex would be fine, now that I think about it. ;)

Aprox how long after Sept 1st does it take for the League of Nations to form the International Naval Protection Force? Will they actually do something in a timely manner or we talking months? When do Belles and Moragana's first appear? Sept 1st on the Dot? Before, During or After the Blitz on Poland?

Edit: reason I ask? timing and setting for fanfic.

Nel;

It takes them all the way until November to officially create the Protection Force- you may want to review this Update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/victory-belles/posts/1560314

Morganas are presumed to appear on 1 September, 1939, and Belles appear on that day, and in the weeks subsequent. The first of the known Morgana attacks comes in the early hours of 1 September.

And maybe Lady Lex would be fine, now that I think about it.

Ah Lady Lex. The first (in this time period) Lexington. Makes me wonder, knowing the real ships fate, if the Cv-16 is going to be a separate Belle entirely, a separate version of the Lady Lex Belle, or an Upgrade to the current Belle.

AAhb;

It's not decided yet (still some time to go!) but she will most likely be a separate Belle, with a unique relationship to the first.

something between

“Who are you?” she asked finally, and the stranger smiled oddly. The sense of familiarity grew still stronger, and yet she remained positive she’d never seen that face, with its scarred cheek and pronounced chin.

“Interesting you should ask,” he said. He reached behind him and drew a tall, rolling stool closer to the surface upon which she lay and settled onto it.

“Interesting you should ask,” he repeated in a softer voice. “Because the truth is, I used to be you.”

©Weber

and

"Don't remember that ye twit, I'm still alive"

?

Ok, a question about the Belles: will we see sister ships or just one representative from each class? With multiple navies I imagine priority will first go to more kinds of ships rather than multiple ships of the same class, but i'd be curious to see how sister ships turn out in game.

Sorry if this was ready answered before, i've been switching between devices while working my way through this topic and lost my place a few times -_-

AAhb;

It's not decided yet (still some time to go!) but she will most likely be a separate Belle, with a unique relationship to the first.

Lexington is particularly interesting because *everything* about both of their origins are the same. Not only named after the same battle, but they were both born in the same shipyard!

Still, they are structurally different and have very different experiences prior to becoming Belles. CV-2 had a pre-war life. CV-16 will be born into the struggle against the Morganas. Also CV-16 will have her own sisters, being a proud member of the Essex litter. From the story perspective, at least, I can definitely see ways to differentiate the two as distinct individuals.