Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Ooh, thats sounds fun!

Can we have spells that cause damage (or mutation) if you fail the casting?

And I vote we should have more permanent effect spells, so long as they still have a fixed duration to prevent exploitation of phemes. Consider the Astrology spell “Fill the Sky with Stars” which expands Art Appreciation and Playness by 1, and expands a relationship with someone. It has a duration of 8. Note that's Expand, not a temporary increase. Does anyone think thats overpowered? 'cause I don't.

Whooooo, I want that spell. Never found it despite Astrology are my class both playthrough.

Nooooo! Random classes suck donkey's hoof. I hate to think of the number of reloads so that I can have some proper classes.

I meant the classes that are put there initially. That way if you didn't want to pick all of your classes but still want a variety, you don't have to. But you'd still be able to pick your classes if you wanted to.

Legate, not to pick nits, but shouldn't your topic under announcement entitled "Warning: Potential Issue with CP2, ...more information as it comes," refer to CP1, instead? I suspect most people will realize this, but some might be inclined to let reading the post slide because CP2 isn't due out for a while. Just a thought.

Whooooo, I want that spell. Never found it despite Astrology are my class both playthrough.

Sorry, I didn't record how I unlock things on my first playthrough, but I *think* it's Astrology. I have 12 Astrology and 10 Planets, Stars and Theory, 8 Moons and 4 Comets, and it's not a Study Level (because I don't have that class).

And I mis-reported before. It's actualy a 3 skill-step expand of Playfulness and Art Appreciation, 1 point towards a relationship of your choice, and a possible expand of Glory. All permanent. It can be cast once per day.

I'll add it to the wiki at some point.

Edit:

Wiki is done: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Fill_the_...ars_%28Spell%29

And another quick suggestion: Can you remove the action "Correspond" for characters with the Background: "Black Sheep", since it does nothing for them?

Edit Edit:

Another quickie: Could (or would) you remove all the locations from the action confirmation screen that don't have a passive ability? Except the Character's Room, of course.

I think its better that Befriend again have a prerequisit because now the NPCs form theyr own cliques right at the start and even force the player in theyr clique bevore he even got a chance to learn about clique.

(In my game there are 9 cliques now at workshop days!)

I agree with this--with this proviso: give it as something your character learns from having met and befriended their mentor. That way, students in general won't have it yet, but your character will.

A few thoughts I had:

1) I would suggest "gatekeeper events" for Year 2. In other words, if the player attempts to enter a location that she really isn't supposed to get into, pop a miniquest-like event that you have to pass in order to enter.

"The Library of Forebodingness is surrounded by a thick fence. Fireball or Somersault?"

If the player passes the check, don't pop that event again, rendering the location "normal".

2) This one seems so self-evident that it's probably an engine limitation, but it would be cool to have "storyific" ramifications to your actions. That is, if you insulted someone before, they could come and mess things up for you in a later adventure or event. The easiest way to implement this would probably be within adventures (linearity), and also in the time-bound events that come with the various festivals (do something in the first festival and have it haunt you in the last). Another possibility would be to have events that only trigger if you something previously. In such a setup, the responsive behavior would not be part of a "pre-existing" event (i.e. in doing this completely unrelated thing that you might have been doing anyway, you were hindered by a specter from the past), but simply a "surprise stage" of the same event (i.e. Yourina Nemeskos has trapped you into a pocked dimension! Maybe you shouldn't have summoned the homework-eating puppy into her bag after all!)

Wits;

Both are actually possible in Year One's engine- just so complex in permutation that except in a few instances we did not attempt it.

Good suggestions, though- and homework eating puppy summoning spells *definitely* need to make an appearance in Gates. :D

Draigh;

That is actually not as easy to do as 5. We'll see what we can accomplish, however.

Here's something I don't believe has been mentioned yet, so I wanted to toss this out here.

Has any thought been given to accessability features for this game? What I mean is, I have a friend that I would like to suggest this game to, but he is color blind (red/green, I think, but I don't remember for sure which type.) Given that the game presents significant information to the player based on the color of the text, this might make gameplay more difficult for him. Is it possible to have a mouseover for options in events/adventures that shows difficulty, much like the colors currently indicate? (possible scale being simple/easy/normal/challenging/difficult)

We'll have to consider it- Monteverdi's and Schwarzbart's suggestions are good, but there are consequences to these as well. Of the two, Schwarzbart's suggestion may be the best in the interim, but it may too dramatically slow the rate of Clique building elsewhere.

We'll have to test it.

Thanks!

Perhaps slightly lower relationship value like 3-4 or so could work well enough? it seems not uncommon for relationships to be at 2+ just few days since the start of game.

That actually reminds me. Would it be possible to include in the daily summary changes in relationship levels with other students? It's just they seem to develop silently and out of sudden there can be number of people on the list who have relationship of 3+ with player's character and with npc-related advntures active and referring to player as 'friend' even though you've never really heard about them or actively interacted with them in any manner. It can feel bit ... awkward.

We'll see what we can do. :D

That'd be cool ;) i'm thinking mainly, seeing a note how "relationship between X and yourself improved to Y" and whatnot could make it feel (by implication something happened that resulted in that change) that there's more things happening during the day. It's sort of like getting an additional positive (or negative) random event just without the event actually being spelt out with all its details, if it makes any sense.