Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Played trough Crytalline and they had a great idea in there that could be ported to Academagia (maybe its even something that happened with the Gate magic)

I put it in spoiler in case someone want to play this VN

One path of magic there got corrupted because humans want to get more power at the cost of the other paths

for items the player need for quests that carry over from year 1 to year 2 how about having a flea market at the start of the new year with different items at lower price that was left behind by students from last year and deemed not to be to dangerous. Think that is a better idea then a background that give out random items. This flea market might also attract people that sell some stuff under the hand. 

I think having this shop open 2 week - max 1 month after the new students start will make try to fast earning money a alternate way to play in the early game.

If market can be time limited in Y2 then I would set it up as normal time limited market with maybe a event / adventure attached when you visit the market the first time that a shady person talk to you when you left the market. Its randomly either a scammer who try to sell you expensive garbage or someone from a black market who when you buy something from him /her offer you to reveal the location of a black market (the goblin market could do here) at a price.

I think its understandable that I prefer to have it as shop instead of an adventure that also would be a possibility. (i have demonstrated in some of my year 1 adventures how a shop could be done as adventure) 

Ohh and please add 1 of the self playing weiqi board to this shop ^^. It was one of the reason I stopped to continue the adventure writing because I was missing a good way to add this item for a new character in y2 and this shop idea is finally something I can live with. ( I don't think it was set as unique and so it should be no problem if a few player have 2 of them)

I don't think I can work out more then this as I don't know what items from Y1 the team want uns to have access to in Y2 and what is possible with Y2.

• 1 month later...

@Legate of Mineta: May I describe some ideas that I have for a gates school in Miya's empire? The Team would be welcome to use the school in the setting, and I am thinking that a possible adventure or random event might involve the PC's hearing Miya talking about the school. This, of course, could leave ambiguous how true her claims are.

The Bone and Earth School is not a school like Contu's Academy, nor like the Schohanwicht, nor even like the Purple Academy of Thei. Rather, it is a movement of like-minded mages and their students who, living in a certain region, learn from and teach each other about Gates magic - and often claim to learn from entities beyond Cyve.

What makes the Bone and Earth School a school, rather than merely an assemblage of gates mages with varying skills, is its approach to dealing with the entities that its practitioners come across. Many gates mages outside the Bone and Earth School regard summoned and encountered creatures as tools and nothing more - or if they have encountered more noteworthy entities, they are regarded with fear and suspicion. Certainly, what gates mages do in other realms is kept very secret outside the Bone and Earth School.

But the Bone and Earth School publicly proclaims that its members have been in contact with other beings of great intelligence - some of whom are not hostile. This, however, is always accompanied by warnings that Gates magic is highly dangerous, and is best practised after studying with a qualified teacher. Even then, Gates Magic should be practised in remote areas with dead animals and bare earth - hence the Bone and Earth School's name.

Ideally, mages in this school are not allowed to practise Gates Magic until they have mastered three arts - negation magic, wrestling, and various forms of persuasive communication (debate, oratory, law, persuasion, etc.). Negation magic is used in order to minimize problems if one's Gate's magic go wrong, and wrestling is used when controlling summoned creatures, but the most commonly used skill of Bone and Earth School mages, aside from Gates Magic, is negotiating with summoned creatures. Bone and Earth School mages strive, as much as possible, to understand, befriend, and learn from beings whom they summon. They write down what they learn about and from these beings (including weaknesses) in cryptic books which they explain to selected students whom they deem wise enough. The students who have fully understood a text about a given creature are deemed worthy of summoning the creature. It is not known how many creatures have been written about in books, and to further confuse the matter, different lineages of teachers may have different names and traditions about different entities.

Bone and Earth School mages admit, if pressed, that they are secretive, but use this secretiveness in order to discourage unprepared gates mages from summoning dangerous creatures. They also spread stories, possibly true, about the terrible consequences of summoning creatures without being qualified gates mages. Some Bone and Earth School mages, who have attracted many followers, are alleged or allege themselves to be not fully human, but containing extra-cyvian ancestry. Bone and Earth School mages have a tense relationship with the central government, which respects but fears their powers and strange claims about their achievements

Any thoughts, @Legate of Mineta?

• 3 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: I was wondering if there might be an option for a PC who hears Briardi talking about Euneycia and studies with Euneycia to realize that Briardi is associated with gates magic - and maybe try to get closer to her as a fellow learner from Euneycia (not romantically, unlike other players of this game may think!).

@Legate of Mineta: This is my idea for an adventure involving Zoe Melis and Gates magic.

Zoe is reading an advanced Eluminian textbook that she borrowed from Professor Sido and reads in one of its passages about a beautifully written and very useful old treatise about medicine. She gets the PC's help to talk to Professor Sido about it. He tells Zoe and the PC that the text in question is thought to be lost. The rest of the adventure would be about the PC's helping Zoe as she uses her research skills to locate an old manuscript of the poem - only for them to realize that it praises Gates Magic and Mastery Magic!. The PC and Zoe then have to figure out what to do with the poem in order to avoid suspicion. I was thinking that a PC studying at the Schohanwicht or with the Purple Wizards could have more options.